Landracing Forum Home
October 18, 2018, 12:50:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be  (Read 24664 times)
Stan Back

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:23 PM »

Bundy ranch trail.

Where does this trail go?

Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters – California's most-exclusive roadster club.
Celebrating 65th anniversary of racing on the salt.
jl222

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: December 19, 2017, 08:11:27 PM »

Bundy ranch trail.

Where does this trail go?

Out the back door grin

jl222 cheers
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #212 on: December 19, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »

JL pls read your personal message  thanks Sparky

Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
desotoman

Modified Roadster

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: December 19, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »

Tom   spot on   but maybe a progressive drag made with chain and ever larger weights    I never did think I wanted to be shot out of a cannon but backwards by a huge sling shot?? grin

Sparky, I guess bungee was not the name I was looking for, as you are correct about a backwards sling shot.  shocked  What we need is a type of material that has some elasticity in it for the impact, to help reduce any attempted lawsuits which might name the SCTA, which in turn would have an effect on our insurance rates.  

Tough to find an anchor for this...... Cooks parachute net would be easier

http://www.dragraceresults.com/fullstory.cfm?id=5929&title=Stroud_Safety_Catch_Net_Featured_in_Innovative_System

Dean, I like the link to the net, and my thought on the D6 cats are that they weigh around 18,000 each and the BLM cannot complain about the surface being mistreated, and we can drive them back and forth to the SCTA property. You can pick old ones up pretty cheap.

I was just throwing an idea out there for an anchor as the BLM might veto a drag, but until submitted who knows.

Tom G.

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers. As a young boy I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. It suggests that the quest for knowledge includes failure, and that just because one person may know less than others they should not be afraid to ask rather than pretend they already know. In many cases multiple people may not know but are too afraid to ask the "stupid question"; the one who asks the question may in fact be doing a service to those around them.
Glen
Global Moderator

SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur

« Reply #214 on: December 19, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »

Read post 20.

Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah
desotoman

Modified Roadster

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: December 19, 2017, 09:25:48 PM »

Read post 20.

Thanks Glen for the response.

Is there a website or video that anyone can direct me to, so I can see how that net works. Does it pull the car to the side and the car end up rolling, or how does it end up bringing the vehicle to a complete stop, and what distance does it take to do it.

Tom G.

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers. As a young boy I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. It suggests that the quest for knowledge includes failure, and that just because one person may know less than others they should not be afraid to ask rather than pretend they already know. In many cases multiple people may not know but are too afraid to ask the "stupid question"; the one who asks the question may in fact be doing a service to those around them.
TheBaron

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: December 19, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »

How about requiring that only "Experienced El Mirage Drivers and Riders" operate vehicles during out probation period while the SCTA works out what long term solutions will address all concerns...

Visitors to El Mirage wanting test runs of their Bonneville rides would have to have an El Mirage qualified driver to run their vehicle at El Mo..

Severe restrictions on inexperienced competitors must be implemented ASAP .....

Otherwise the end is near.....very near....

Smitty

thundersalt

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: December 19, 2017, 09:36:38 PM »

Tom   spot on   but maybe a progressive drag made with chain and ever larger weights    I never did think I wanted to be shot out of a cannon but backwards by a huge sling shot?? grin

Sparky, I guess bungee was not the name I was looking for, as you are correct about a backwards sling shot.  shocked  What we need is a type of material that has some elasticity in it for the impact, to help reduce any attempted lawsuits which might name the SCTA, which in turn would have an effect on our insurance rates. 

Tough to find an anchor for this...... Cooks parachute net would be easier

http://www.dragraceresults.com/fullstory.cfm?id=5929&title=Stroud_Safety_Catch_Net_Featured_in_Innovative_System

Dean, I like the link to the net, and my thought on the D6 cats are that they weigh around 18,000 each and the BLM cannot complain about the surface being mistreated, and we can drive them back and forth to the SCTA property. You can pick old ones up pretty cheap.

I was just throwing an idea out there for an anchor as the BLM might veto a drag, but until submitted who knows.

Tom G.
Yes Tom, that was my train of thought on the cats but I like to keep my posts short. Another idea is concrete holes we could put poles in to anchor the net I posted and cover with man hole covers when we are not racing but I suspect BLM won’t let us drill holes in the lakebed

916 AA/GRMR 
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean
John Burk

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: December 20, 2017, 01:55:05 AM »

Anchor the net to 2 vehicles parked 100? feet to each side of the net . Vehicles aimed at the net with transmissions in park . Soft hit at first for motorcycles , progressively harder the father in the race vehicle goes .  anchor car-----------net------------anchor car
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #219 on: December 20, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »

I have seen lengths of anchor chains used a Navy training airstrips in Texas. the farther on goes down the strip after catching the net the more chain one drags until stopping--very little stored energy with using drags concrete filled tires for drags would be moveable and lying on their side would not disturb the lake very much at all
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:42:05 PM by SPARKY » Logged

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
Interested Observer

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »

A proposal  --  see attached diagram

Given:
1)   It is the competitor’s responsibility to stop within the alloted deceleration zone.
2)   In normal circumstances there is no reason why this cannot be achieved.
3)   In extrordinary circumstances vehicles must be constrained to within the emergency zone.
4)   If extrordinary circumstances arise, competitors have no basis to complain about using the arresting facility.
5)   Competitors evading or otherwise avoiding the facility will be dealt with administratively.

The proposed type of facility and policy shows the BLM a good faith effort to contain errant vehicles and would present minimal impact on the lakebed.

Tire bundles could be on pallets for forklift handling or in lifting bundles for crane truck handling.  This arrangement should be reasonably economical and logistically manageable given the task required.  The extra “wings” of arresting net are to collect vehicles which may, under extrordinary circumstances, have somewhat departed from the nominal course width.

* ElMoNet0001.pdf (14.93 KB - downloaded 74 times.)
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »

IO  that is almost exactly what I had in mind ---but stages of ever increasing groups of tires start with 3 on each side then they drag a little bit and then it takes up the slack and it is dragging 5 more on each side then 7 more on each side ect ect

TheBaron

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »

Love your proposal......

Maybe several versions of barrier net  braking should be tested to determine a workable solution...

Let us not forget about quick deploying parachutes being attached to the ends of the netting...
Glen
Global Moderator

SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur

« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »

THE NET / CHUTES has been tested at Bonneville.

Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah
manta22

What, me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »

Dead Horse  Dead Horse  Dead Horse 

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
  Print