Author Topic: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be  (Read 60090 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be
« Reply #210 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:23 PM »
Bundy ranch trail.

Where does this trail go?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #211 on: December 19, 2017, 08:11:27 PM »
Bundy ranch trail.

Where does this trail go?

Out the back door :-D

jl222 :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: December 19, 2017, 08:15:09 PM »
JL pls read your personal message  thanks Sparky
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #213 on: December 19, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »
Tom   spot on   but maybe a progressive drag made with chain and ever larger weights    I never did think I wanted to be shot out of a cannon but backwards by a huge sling shot?? :-D

Sparky, I guess bungee was not the name I was looking for, as you are correct about a backwards sling shot.  :-o  What we need is a type of material that has some elasticity in it for the impact, to help reduce any attempted lawsuits which might name the SCTA, which in turn would have an effect on our insurance rates.  

Tough to find an anchor for this...... Cooks parachute net would be easier

http://www.dragraceresults.com/fullstory.cfm?id=5929&title=Stroud_Safety_Catch_Net_Featured_in_Innovative_System

Dean, I like the link to the net, and my thought on the D6 cats are that they weigh around 18,000 each and the BLM cannot complain about the surface being mistreated, and we can drive them back and forth to the SCTA property. You can pick old ones up pretty cheap.

I was just throwing an idea out there for an anchor as the BLM might veto a drag, but until submitted who knows.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #214 on: December 19, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
Read post 20.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #215 on: December 19, 2017, 09:25:48 PM »
Read post 20.

Thanks Glen for the response.

Is there a website or video that anyone can direct me to, so I can see how that net works. Does it pull the car to the side and the car end up rolling, or how does it end up bringing the vehicle to a complete stop, and what distance does it take to do it.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #216 on: December 19, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »
How about requiring that only "Experienced El Mirage Drivers and Riders" operate vehicles during out probation period while the SCTA works out what long term solutions will address all concerns...

Visitors to El Mirage wanting test runs of their Bonneville rides would have to have an El Mirage qualified driver to run their vehicle at El Mo..

Severe restrictions on inexperienced competitors must be implemented ASAP .....

Otherwise the end is near.....very near....

Smitty

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #217 on: December 19, 2017, 09:36:38 PM »
Tom   spot on   but maybe a progressive drag made with chain and ever larger weights    I never did think I wanted to be shot out of a cannon but backwards by a huge sling shot?? :-D

Sparky, I guess bungee was not the name I was looking for, as you are correct about a backwards sling shot.  :-o  What we need is a type of material that has some elasticity in it for the impact, to help reduce any attempted lawsuits which might name the SCTA, which in turn would have an effect on our insurance rates. 

Tough to find an anchor for this...... Cooks parachute net would be easier

http://www.dragraceresults.com/fullstory.cfm?id=5929&title=Stroud_Safety_Catch_Net_Featured_in_Innovative_System

Dean, I like the link to the net, and my thought on the D6 cats are that they weigh around 18,000 each and the BLM cannot complain about the surface being mistreated, and we can drive them back and forth to the SCTA property. You can pick old ones up pretty cheap.

I was just throwing an idea out there for an anchor as the BLM might veto a drag, but until submitted who knows.

Tom G.
Yes Tom, that was my train of thought on the cats but I like to keep my posts short. Another idea is concrete holes we could put poles in to anchor the net I posted and cover with man hole covers when we are not racing but I suspect BLM won’t let us drill holes in the lakebed
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline John Burk

« Reply #218 on: December 20, 2017, 01:55:05 AM »
Anchor the net to 2 vehicles parked 100? feet to each side of the net . Vehicles aimed at the net with transmissions in park . Soft hit at first for motorcycles , progressively harder the father in the race vehicle goes .  anchor car-----------net------------anchor car

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: December 20, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »
I have seen lengths of anchor chains used a Navy training airstrips in Texas. the farther on goes down the strip after catching the net the more chain one drags until stopping--very little stored energy with using drags concrete filled tires for drags would be moveable and lying on their side would not disturb the lake very much at all
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:42:05 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
A proposal  --  see attached diagram

Given:
1)   It is the competitor’s responsibility to stop within the alloted deceleration zone.
2)   In normal circumstances there is no reason why this cannot be achieved.
3)   In extrordinary circumstances vehicles must be constrained to within the emergency zone.
4)   If extrordinary circumstances arise, competitors have no basis to complain about using the arresting facility.
5)   Competitors evading or otherwise avoiding the facility will be dealt with administratively.

The proposed type of facility and policy shows the BLM a good faith effort to contain errant vehicles and would present minimal impact on the lakebed.

Tire bundles could be on pallets for forklift handling or in lifting bundles for crane truck handling.  This arrangement should be reasonably economical and logistically manageable given the task required.  The extra “wings” of arresting net are to collect vehicles which may, under extrordinary circumstances, have somewhat departed from the nominal course width.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »
IO  that is almost exactly what I had in mind ---but stages of ever increasing groups of tires start with 3 on each side then they drag a little bit and then it takes up the slack and it is dragging 5 more on each side then 7 more on each side ect ect

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »
Love your proposal......

Maybe several versions of barrier net  braking should be tested to determine a workable solution...

Let us not forget about quick deploying parachutes being attached to the ends of the netting...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »
THE NET / CHUTES has been tested at Bonneville.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #224 on: December 20, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
 :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse: 

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ