Author Topic: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be  (Read 59852 times)

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
Re: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »
fastesthonda_jim, you started this 9 page thread... have we answered your questions? were you asking in an official capacity? if not, would some officials like to add to the discussion?

m

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
Why are you being so defensive.

Once-apon-a-time a sports writer said" The best defense, is a good offense. I believe him, so for the last fifty plus years I've trid my best to be the most offensive person in the room :)
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2017, 11:37:45 AM »
Not intending to be a troll or knock anyone down. Just an attempt at levity. Arguing solves nothing..... I did see the lights (which really doesn't matter since I don't have a problem stopping). Every pass I've made between 212 and 218, by studying my racepak data, I start my u turn less than 6/10's after I pop the chute (without front brakes). I don't buy any excuses short of passing out. Brake failure? I question workmanship. Chute failure? not paying attention when you pack them. JMO!! Don't want to fight. This thread needs to get back on track to solutions.

PS: Note to self: I gotta quit posting after drinking
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2017, 11:50:31 AM »
ts  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:  LOL   
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2017, 12:09:23 PM »
JL you may be assuming that this is all a personal attack---you are know to be thinned skin--- and you just maybe are being trolled---sorta like poking a frog just to see him jump---the poker has nothing against the frog they just like to see him jump..

Sparky.... As I own a car that has gone slightly out the back door but came back in and I read post about a 5 year ban,
criminal trespass, confiscation, extended to Bville ECT. I do take it personal

Particularly when someone post these sanctions that have no chance of going out the back door.

It also bothers me that most everyone else is fine with the above sanctions.

Looking up criminal trespass, the quoted best answer was '' trespass with the intent to commit a crime''

Beef Stew I might be old but I'm far from harmless. And you do know where I live.

JL222

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2017, 12:27:06 PM »

Nortonist... what kind of speeds do you have at El Mirage? In other words is there any chance of YOU going out the back door?

JL222
[/quote]

What sort of speeds?  Slow.  But funnily enough my entry costs the same as if I went 300.   There is a chance I could go out that I could go out the back door.  There's also a chance I could win the lottery.  Both are about the same.  But that's not the point. 

The point is if the BLM shuts down El Mirage because someone goes out the back door it affects everyone.   Do you think the BLM will give a rats whether the car that went out the back door is a 120 mph car or a 300 mph car?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
In my never ending search for new LSR venues,
I've  found what seems to me to be excessive attention to what I feel is oversize shutdown room. IMVHOFWIW.
 My emphasis in my limited experience in LSR at the LTA in Maine was always Safety first, so the following is based on that premise.
Let me start by saying stopping on other than pavement a problem,but.....
How many guys actually use the BHP in the cars (or bikes) to brake, as opposed to just brakes and chutes ? All about preserving the drivetrain seems to be  the practice.
NHRA FDs and FCs stop pretty quick.  Modern supercars like Lambo, Ferrari, and  big Vettes all stop from 200mph well under 300 ft on pavement in street legal cars. Putting as much attention into brakes on all four corners in a purpose-built racer 1st and leaving it in gear might solve a lot of the El Mirage  problem. That and the biggest chute practical, no ?
This could also make a few previous sites considered "too Short" viable now. I've previously run this by LSR people I highly respect and have gotten mixed reviews. Some concepts seem to be written in stone.
So I post this here, enlighten me.

...I appreciate the constructive efforts on these forums,discussion a necessity as we are running out of LSR.
Bob W.. SCTA #343, 

bwana343@aol.com

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2017, 01:53:29 PM »
In my never ending search for new LSR venues,
I've  found what seems to me to be excessive attention to what I feel is oversize shutdown room. IMVHOFWIW.
 My emphasis in my limited experience in LSR at the LTA in Maine was always Safety first, so the following is based on that premise.
Let me start by saying stopping on other than pavement a problem,but.....
How many guys actually use the BHP in the cars (or bikes) to brake, as opposed to just brakes and chutes ? All about preserving the drivetrain seems to be  the practice.
NHRA FDs and FCs stop pretty quick.  Modern supercars like Lambo, Ferrari, and  big Vettes all stop from 200mph well under 300 ft on pavement in street legal cars. Putting as much attention into brakes on all four corners in a purpose-built racer 1st and leaving it in gear might solve a lot of the El Mirage  problem. That and the biggest chute practical, no ?
This could also make a few previous sites considered "too Short" viable now. I've previously run this by LSR people I highly respect and have gotten mixed reviews. Some concepts seem to be written in stone.
So I post this here, enlighten me.

...I appreciate the constructive efforts on these forums,discussion a necessity as we are running out of LSR.
Bob W.. SCTA #343, 

bwana343@aol.com

Great post!! Too many people here are hidebound (having an inflexible or ultraconservative character ) and want to stick to the old-ways. When Nolan White died at Bonneville in 2002 http://articles.latimes.com/2002/oct/22/local/me-white22 I mentioned to a multiple hat holder that front brakes may have saved him, and was told that brakes on an LSR car were there only to put the car on the trailer :-o

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2017, 05:28:23 PM »
That's Interesting, That You bring Nolan into this, as His car indeed had front brakes, One on each wheel in fact.
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »
That's Interesting, That You bring Nolan into this, as His car indeed had front brakes, One on each wheel in fact.

Thanks for the update SPDRACER. The last time I saw Nolan White, he and Jack Lufkin were running two seat streamliners, aka Sports Racing class.

The point of my post was that a two-hatter didn't approve of brakes on LSR cars. That still stands.

I apologies for besmirching Nolan White, it was not intentional ...sorry.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »
No-one wants to give-up El Mirage Horsepower, aka as a tailwind. So running East to West isn't going to fly.

Why is it that when Jim Loving got dusted a while back, he dumped the laundry? Would everyone have done the same-thing? Would others have tried to out-run the dust?

What you have is a people problem. As Nortonist 592 has said:
Tell that to Dannenfeltzer.   He can stop quicker from 250+ than most of the 100 mph cars.
Why is that? Do you think that maybe the sharp guys don't have problems because they are still sharp? In pro racing if you lose a step, you either retire, or are forced out by the lack of a ride. In hobby-racing you can stick-around until you kill yourself, or an out-house  :-o Dementia isn't something that the old like to talk about, but it happens—and it need to be discussed.

Back to you Jim.

Do you think Fred has never been in the pucker bushes?  Guess again, shit happens and we try to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »
Please let's not get into an argument of who goes faster than who, as that does not matter.

Getting stopped before going out the back door is all that matters.

What about the time the rider fell off his motorcycle, yet the motorcycle keep going, and going and going until someone helped it fall over with their truck.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2017, 11:53:44 AM »
Well as of a letter dated Dec 1, SCTA is now on probation for 1 year with the BLM due to the incidents that happened at the Nov meet.

In reading a copy of the letter sent to Dan Chilson, president of the Gear Grinders, I saw one of the reasons given to Pat as to why one of the drivers went out the back door "the driver thought he was at Bonneville and still had more shut down time" Seriously? Are you friggen kidding me? Im sorry but as a licensed SCTA driver strapped into a race car if you cant tell the difference between El Mirage and Bonneville while at EM you have absolutely no business racing, period. While Ive never raced at Bonneville, Ive been there for SPeedweek and been down the long course after the drivers meeting. Other than a flat long expanse of racing surface, the two look nothing alike, nothing.

Hopefully they will come up with something in the months to come to save our asses from losing El Mirage

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
Frankie, what are the terms of the probation?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
Well as of a letter dated Dec 1, SCTA is now on probation for 1 year with the BLM due to the incidents that happened at the Nov meet.

In reading a copy of the letter sent to Dan Chilson, president of the Gear Grinders, I saw one of the reasons given to Pat as to why one of the drivers went out the back door "the driver thought he was at Bonneville and still had more shut down time" Seriously? Are you friggen kidding me? Im sorry but as a licensed SCTA driver strapped into a race car if you cant tell the difference between El Mirage and Bonneville while at EM you have absolutely no business racing, period. While Ive never raced at Bonneville, Ive been there for SPeedweek and been down the long course after the drivers meeting. Other than a flat long expanse of racing surface, the two look nothing alike, nothing.

Hopefully they will come up with something in the months to come to save our asses from losing El Mirage
I'm not buying it either,   everyone knows b'ville is so ruff
 you gotta tuck your hemi's back after each run
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean