Author Topic: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be  (Read 59850 times)

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »
I have never been to Elmo so take my comments with a grain of salt (no pun intended):

It's doubtful that anyone ever intentionally runs off the end of  the course and it is doubtful if there many braking/chute failures that result in running off the end. It seems far more likely that the driver/rider did not see the markers indicating the shutdown. There needs to be large, highly visible markers to indicate the point where a vehicle needs to begin braking.

Under stress, people tend to suffer "tunnel vision"- that is, they focus on a very narrow field of view. In LSR, that would be straight ahead, focused in the far distance. Unless a marker extends into this narrow field, the driver will miss seeing it. Add dust, obscured vision, etc. and the problem only gets worse.

Even experienced competitors can suffer from tunnel vision. In the early '60s I knew an Army pilot in Corpus Christi who flew an OV-1 Mohawk into his target during a gunnery practice run. The target was towed behind a ship and the pilot did not pull out of his dive; he flew into the target, totally concentrating on placing his rounds accurately. The term for this was "Target Fascination".

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jl222

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2017, 08:39:10 PM »
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/11/29/after-off-track-excursions-concerns-mount-over-future-of-racing-at-el-mirage/?refer=news

Florence orange signs with flashing led lights? has anyone seen these?

Troy drives at El Mirage and the last meet, I just called to see if he has ever seem them. No he hasn't, but cockpit does get dusty.

A good idea though.

JL222
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:48:36 PM by jl222 »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »
JL  I don't want to see anyone in the hospital---but I would rather see that than no racing for ALL OF US!

Build a racer that operates in a safe manner and maintain it in such a way that it has no issues such as I have  mentioned earlier.  Over the years I have had issues with my cars-- but I fixed them. So far we have not hit where a net would have been.  I had chute issues--wouldn't fly right--longer tether---brake issues---to big of a master cyl-- dust in and outside--moved the location of my positive vent and installed an air exit in the bottom of my car--now no dust in the drivers  blinded by noon day sun completely redid the canopy---on and on---

But the bottom line we realize we have "to see and keep up with where we are on the track"  so that we can STOP in time!!

Anyone who races at EL M owe the rest of the racers as much---if they don't their fellow racers have the right to assist them with an arresting net.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:25:55 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2017, 11:18:50 AM »
How many folks have ridden their motorcycles through a course marker at Bonneville and lived to tell the tale?

A line of similar orange netting on a slim PVC tubing frame markers could be used to indicate the end of the course without being too much of a hazard. It might take a dozen of them but that is not untenable.

Offline jl222

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2017, 01:23:48 PM »
JL  I don't want to see anyone in the hospital---but I would rather see that than no racing for ALL OF US!

Build a racer that operates in a safe manner and maintain it in such a way that it has no issues such as I have  mentioned earlier.  Over the years I have had issues with my cars-- but I fixed them. So far we have not hit where a net would have been.  I had chute issues--wouldn't fly right--longer tether---brake issues---to big of a master cyl-- dust in and outside--moved the location of my positive vent and installed an air exit in the bottom of my car--now no dust in the drivers  blinded by noon day sun completely redid the canopy---on and on---

But the bottom line we realize we have "to see and keep up with where we are on the track"  so that we can STOP in time!!

Anyone who races at EL M owe the rest of the racers as much---if they don't their fellow racers have the right to assist them with an arresting net.

Sparky... there is a name for people that think as you do. starts with a p and ends with h

What is your top speed at El Mirage?  I have an idea it's not that high.

I can see a motorcycle streamliner going into a net but not an open rider.  

Has anyone seen these orange signs an flashing lights? Or is this fake news?

As much as the BLM has mismanaged Bonneville one would think they would be open to allowing more run off space
at El Mirage.

jl222

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:59:49 PM by jl222 »

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »
You should think about Willmington OH. Someone went out the"back door" tore up a bunch of expensive lights and now they can't race there anymore.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:55:30 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »
You are correct JL its not that high but we changed classes to see if we can go a little faster.   Please tell me how speed has anything to do with it-----  I am so dumb I can't figure out the nice compliment you are trying to give me!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:58:03 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2017, 06:36:43 PM »
Tried to control myself all day but couldn't do it..."Troy drives at El Mirage and the last meet, I just called to see if he has ever seem them......."
.........as  he was driving out the back...................... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline jl222

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2017, 11:51:19 PM »

Thundersalt ...Did you see those signs and lights?

jl222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2017, 11:53:47 PM »
OHHHHH I didn't know that-----If I had known that I would not have made any reference to the dust in the car--that has been mentioned in the past by video from their "in car"---I know from Sr's past posts that he is a delicate and subject to being upset---especially when he knows----well he knows what he knows

Offline jl222

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2017, 11:55:36 PM »
You are correct JL its not that high but we changed classes to see if we can go a little faster.   Please tell me how speed has anything to do with it-----  I am so dumb I can't figure out the nice compliment you are trying to give me!!

Well Sparky, you know, the faster you go the longer it takes to stop.

JL222

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2017, 12:50:51 AM »

[/quote]

Well Sparky, you know, the faster you go the longer it takes to stop.

JL222
[/quote]

Tell that to Dannenfeltzer.   He can stop quicker from 250+ than most of the 100 mph cars.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »
N. 592   We hope to find out what its like to stop from 250 at EL M   we will be driving toward the side cones much sooner after deploying our EL M chute in the future---the last time we ran there we got in trouble because we stopped too far from the edge--- not close enough to the cones so much for the bigger chute.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »
Sparky... there is a name for people that think as you do. starts with a p and ends with h

OK JL, I couldn't figure it out on my own, so I tried google.....
padishah, padshah, paganish, pah, painch, paintbrush, palish, panfish, paragraph, paraph, parashah, parashioth, parashoth, parch, pardah, parflesh, pariah, parish, parritch, pash, patch, path, patriarch, paunch, peach, peakish, pearlash, pech, peevish, pentarch, perch, perianth, perish, perkish, pettish, pharaoh, phonograph, photograph, pibroch, pigfish, piggish, pinch, pinfish, pinkish, pipefish, pish, pitch, pith, pittsburgh, pixieish, pixyish, planch, planish, plash, pleach, plenish, plinth, plough, plumpish, plush, poach, poh, polish, polymath, pooch, pooh, poorish, poortith, popish, porch, posh, potash, potlach, potlatch, pouch, prankish, preach, preestablish, prelaunch, prepunch, prewash, priggish, prudish, prutah, prutoth, psych, psychopath, publish, puckish, puggish, pugh, punch, punish, punkah, pupfish, puppyish, purdah, purplish, push, putsch, pygmyish

Impressively, I found one in there that describe a lot of us.... plumpish  :-D  :cheers:

OK back to your regularly scheduled discussion on Elmo

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O