Author Topic: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be  (Read 59837 times)

Offline jww36

Re: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »
By the way, that "good day" I was referring to would be a Saturday or Sunday. Probably very little revenue week days.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 07:27:49 PM »
Their job is supposedly not to produce revenue.  But I think they get a gold star if they do.  I'm sure they get Brownie points for things like selling off the salt at Bonneville for decades.  They've allowed the ruination of a national treasure.

And look at the proposed new National Park fees.  To me, it looks like running the parks and government land now has to be profitable.  I was so naive that I thought the money spent on them was to insure their endurance for years.  I wonder how much it would cost to cut off Roosevelt's nose in the Dakotas.

As for El Mirage, have any of our colleagues ever been detained or suppressed for mid-week "tuning" runs?  And is running out the back door at 10 or 20 mph comparable to blasting across the surface at 60+ MPH in an off-road vehicle.  It's amazing how many off-roaders with scads of suspension travel spend their days speeding across the flat lake bed.

There have been numerous deaths at El Mirage the past years.  Most (all?) have not involved the SCTA.  Off-road vehicle, experimental aircraft, ultra-lights (the same thing?), etc. seem to be the culprit.  And, unknown to most of our competitors, we have to pay and post insurance.  How 'bout the rest?

All of the above statements will not change a thing.  This year has been a year that we've seen the government move in many ways that many (often the majority) don't think is the will of the people.  We have this silly representative form of government where we have been taught that our elected officials look out for us.  Yet, it seems that money interests trump the people's desire.  Anyone that thought that a coalition lobbying the government for saving Bonneville has got to see the handwriting sinking in the mud.

Oh well, it was fun. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 10:30:44 PM »
Big DA-amm difference between elected Representative (almost extinct)

and Elected and non-elected Govt officials--- officials represent, act and vote for the self-serving Deep State form of GOVT.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 11:08:00 PM »
And with respect, jww36, what do you do about the guy (an EXPERIENCED racer) I watched while on patrol one day, still running 120 or so about a hundred yards from the Back Back door.  Or the biker a year or so ago who went out the Back Back still on it hard at 150+ (as I recall - I didn't see this one, just heard about it).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:10:52 PM by fastesthonda_jim »
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
let them get acquainted with the SAFETY Zone NETS I would be willing to bet they make changes to where they can see or stop before running again.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline jww36

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2017, 10:53:38 AM »
Jim;
Rookie or experienced, there is no excuse for going out the back door. Even if you reverse the course you will still have this problem unless drivers/riders know where the finish line is. I've always thought a six foot tall column of black and white balloons tied together would better define the finish line. Another thing SCTA might consider is a column of red ball balloons 100-150 yards past finish line with an SCTA official off course but in line with these red balloons. If the chute has not left the bag by the time car has passed red markers, run is void and he is parked for rest of event. If it is an afternoon run, he forfeits 1st pass next event. For a rider, he/she would have to be off throttle by the red markers.

All this said, it is educating the competitors to follow shut down procedures. Even if you did provide a three mile course, I'd bet you would still have an individual go half way to Adelanto before shutting down.

Offline jl222

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »

A cardboard cut out of a black and white patrol car, made in folding sections for easy transportation and storage should get attention :-o

JL222

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2017, 08:12:14 PM »
Maybe it would be productive to ask folks who went too far why it happened?  There might be a reason that nobody knows about.  We do this at work.  It is an "incident report."  These are kept on record and when a trend appears some safety measures are taken.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2017, 11:31:59 PM »
The answer, to me, is very simple.   If the BLM are looking for an excuse to shut down our racing at El Mirage then if a car or a bike goes out the back door and the additional 500 feet then they are gone.   End of story.   
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »
an ARRESTING NET  ---STOPS the PROBLEM

Offline edinlr

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
I have not run at El Mirage, but I have run at Bonneville, Blytheville, Wilmington and Loring.  Of all, I thought Loring had the end of the course marked the best.  I was totally confused at World of Speed this year and had to redrive the course a second time during orientation to find the finish line.  I think some pattern of big red X's or some lights at the end are the best to signal you to shut down, simple cones don't cut it.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »
how about stings of pennants above the finish line
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2017, 12:38:01 AM »
Again, my concern about a net -
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2017, 04:38:08 AM »
how about stings of pennants above the finish line

Stinging pennants.   That could be the solution.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline jl222

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »
an ARRESTING NET  ---STOPS the PROBLEM

Do you really think anyone on a motor cycle or even a car would drive into a net when there is flat land beyond??

JL222