Author Topic: New "World Production Record" :-)  (Read 3524 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: New "World Production Record" :-)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 10:53:07 PM »
Uh huh.........
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »
The background scenery shows that Run 1 is in the same directions Run 2.  This could not be an FIA world record.  Perhaps it was set on another planet? 

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 03:55:09 AM »
From www.topgear.com:
Bad news Bugatti and Hennessey, Koenigsegg is now, officially, the world’s fastest car manufacturer.

On Saturday, A Koenigsegg Agera RS driven by factory test driver Niklas Lilja recorded a two-way average speed of 277.9 mph (444.6 km/h) on an 11-mile section of closed public highway between Las Vegas and Pahrump to claim the highest speed ever recorded by a production car.

It was the same customer car that recently smashed the Chiron’s 0-249mph-0 record by over five seconds. That was just the first blow, though. Wanting to show how mighty the Swedish supercar is, the owner of this record-breaking RS enlisted the help of his son-in-law (who works in the film industry) to speak to Nevada’s local authorities to shut down a hefty, straight chunk of Highway 160. This gave enough room for his factory-spec ‘Segg (with a 1,360bhp, 1,011lb ft version of the RS’s 5.0-litre twin-turbo V8 and removable roll-cage) to run free.

Technically, they had permission to close the road for two days, but only needed a few hours and three runs; one sighting run, then a torpedo run in both directions to claim the record and keep the internet happy.

Clocking a monstrous speed of 284.55mph in one direction, then 271.19mph while fighting an uphill gradient and strong headwind in the other, Koenigsegg knew that it’d done enough straight out of the blocks. In those two runs (that matched the computer simulations) Niklas and the RS had simultaneously bettered the average v-max of the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport which clocked 269.86mph on the Ehra-Lessien test track in 2010, and the Hennessey Venom GT’s one-way 270.49mph run from 2014 at the Kennedy Space Center, which, up until now, has been the fastest a production car has ever gone.

Reading between the lines:

• The video shows the "sighting run" and the first (faster) run for the claimed record?
  • The speeds quoted are probably the instantaneous peak rather than the average over a mile (or kilo).
  • It's currently not clear whether the speeds are independently verified.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:57:33 AM by TrickyDicky »

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:21:43 AM »
Supercar car makers each have a different view of what constitutes being a 'production' car. I know what the FIA requires and I doubt any supercar manufacturer ever has three cars being assembled, at the same time, to a single specification.

I have not read of any independence in the assessment of speed, although anyone can hire or buy a Racelogic V-Box from the maker.

Some reports do talk of an 'average' speed, which can only have been achieved by data manipulation within the V-box. Tyre circumference will differ as the speeds change so the distance would have to be taken from two 'instantaneous' GPS measurements of the vehicle position.

If the speeds were 'peak speeds' then these supercar factories are writing their own 'rules' for what amounts to a multi millionaire wall p*****g contest. An interesting exercise but not record breaking as the rest of us understand it to be.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 06:42:04 AM »
According to what I have read, Guinness is doing the world record certification.  :roll:

I will say the car scoots very well, but for 2.1 Million (USD) [40 years of my current annual retirement pay], it should.

I do have a question, If a car like this shows up at an event with the correct safety gear how would you classify it?  This production car has 2 engines, one 5.0L twin turbo and a 865 kW electric. Plus, the petro engine is designed to run on E85.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 06:51:18 AM »
Looks like there's a return road to the right.  11 miles of pavement which could be closed for 2 days?  And we can't find that much good salt anymore.  Sounds like a new venue to me.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
Might be a little rough if you got off the course at speed. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:30:38 PM »
Anybody know where to shop for 30 inch Mickeys with highway tread? :-D
  Sid.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »
Might be a little rough if you got off the course at speed. 

And your point is?

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
You might need a little different suspension set-up 20 feet off the course.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 06:33:23 PM »
You might need a little different suspension set-up 20 feet off the course.

I'm already working on that for the existing venue.