Author Topic: New build, new to LSR, APS/G 1350cc and P/PP 500  (Read 21238 times)

Offline Jruff5585

• Aces and Eights Motorcycles
New build, new to LSR, APS/G 1350cc and P/PP 500
« on: November 02, 2017, 06:02:49 PM »
Well I think the tittle says it all. I've been collecting parts, I have most of the major items, I have nothing but time and I have or will have pleanty of questions. Well I almost have nothing but time, I have two customers bikes in the shop, one will finish up and out the door Friday, the other one the owner comes in on Tuesdays and I lay him out and guide him through the build, pat him on the back then redo what he's done lol. And no it's not a joke. I'm not taking on any new work until the bikes built, I'll figure out how to post pics but not much to take pics of yet, so I'll start with some basics stuff. I have a new gen 2 Hayabusa engine, forks, subframe, swingarm and a gen1 frame I have access to bodywork I may choose to modify, or maybe buy new. I'm going to build my tank, air box and exhaust. I still need rims and tires (have a set of brand new CBR1000rr rims and a rear X14 rim) and I have quite a bit of parts around the shop.  The first item I need to decide on is to run shocks or hardtail, I see a lot of pics of hardtails on the salt so if any can help with the pros and cons that would be a big help as I'm finding out traction is going to be a main concern. Also can anyone suggest exhaust software that you may have used? Also any hints, tips or tricks I'm heading into uncharted territory. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:42:58 PM by Jruff5585 »

Offline firemanjim

Re: New build, new to LSR, APS/G 1350cc
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 10:29:40 PM »
Don't try to re-invent the wheel, bike manufacturers etc spend tons of money and time designing airboxes and exhaust, use what works already, bodywork is good one, look at the fast bikes-- Forstall/Guppy, Bill Warner, Joe Amo,Ralph Hudson,Al Lamb. Off the shelf is questionable. We run suspension on all the bikes because,like this year, it can be pretty bumpy. Where ya at?
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:43:04 PM »
Don't try to re-invent the wheel, bike manufacturers etc spend tons of money and time designing airboxes and exhaust, use what works already, bodywork is good one, look at the fast bikes-- Forstall/Guppy, Bill Warner, Joe Amo,Ralph Hudson,Al Lamb. Off the shelf is questionable. We run suspension on all the bikes because,like this year, it can be pretty bumpy. Where ya at?

I haven't commented on here for a while but felt I had to chime in.

Listen to firemanjim. He speaks the truth.
Do not listen to anyone who has not ridden a bike similar to yours at Bonneville. This is not the NHRA and not the Texas Mile.
Study (copy) only the bikes that have set records.
Get a rulebook and memorize it. Do not try to outsmart it or read between the lines.
Kiss your savings goodbye and then enjoy yourself.
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 03:06:20 AM »
Firemanjim I'm in Texas. Thanks for the info., I had talked with Airtech as I have used their tanks and fairings on a few vintage Z1s guess I'll pull the trigger tomorrow and order the bodywork and a rear shock. I have built a few exhausts where I can swap out three different size and length collectors and cones and test them. This time I'll use a dyno. I thought trying some software might cut out some of the calculations and work, as for the plenum I'll wait until the final outcome of the motor after cams, pistons and porting I'll need that for the exhaust too. Plus it's a great feeling when you put the effort in to build something, if it doesn't workout I'll try it again, if it works even better, it's already going to be a challenge trying to bend .064. S.S.  I know I can buy mandrel bends but that's not the point. Mike I have a 2017 rule book on my bed and have gone through it many times, I've been going through every google image I can find and YouTube vid, I'm up every night on the computer till 1 or two looking for information. I've just noticed different rules depending on the sanctioning body. There is a lot to take in. And yes it's going to use up some savings but if I don't use it my kids will lol.  Ahh...what the hell...lets just
do it!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:25:04 AM by Jruff5585 »

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:19:07 PM »
Ok I sat down and ordered most of what I need, as soon as Airtech opens I'll get the bodywork ordered. Any insight on what organizations I will need to join? I plan on loading up the RV and trailer and try to go to as many events as I can in 2018

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
Loring in Maine.
E-Racer

Offline RidgeRunner

Re:
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 11:07:17 PM »
Loring in Maine.

:-) No membership required to run "up in the county" either  :-)

Ed

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 11:38:28 PM »
It is very possible that you could do all the work you have outlined and then go slower than a stock bike. Believe me, I have done that!
You stated that you are going to do a lot of things to change the bike, but what are you doing to go FASTER than stock? The 'busa engine is 180 hp and that will get you to 188 mph on a good surface. Forget a hard tail. Your wheel will be in the air more than not. Why not use the stock wheels? It just seems like you are making a lot of changes, but none of them make you go any faster. TEll us more about how you are going to compete in the 1350 class which is extremely competitive.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 12:20:44 AM »
It might be wise to leave the motor stock for now and work on the chassis setup, aero, and rider skill aspects. 

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 02:47:00 AM »
Well see you made assumptions that because I bought a new motor that it will be left stock. I'll just say this, for now, it has been shipped to the east coast for a few goodie's. The plan is to end up with a low rear engine setup with either an Earles or center hub steering running naked and PS. We have been kicking around different design ideas for quite a while, with all the planning and work involved with that setup I thought we would be lucky just to make WOS in 18. So the bike will be built using a Suzuki frame while we design and build the rear engine setup. This way we can get up and running quicker, make as many events as possible get as much time as we can to get the bike dialed in. I have a plan, it has changed and may change quite often but the end goal does not change, get to b-ville, race my bike, have fun, rince and repeat. Would I like to go out and break a record of course, will it happen not likely but give me two or three years and I'll be close

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
Frank06 I will be coming to Maine. I hunted in the Appleton area in the 70s my friend's dad brought us, he started going in 1948. His son and friends of ours still go to Appleton Ridge to hunt. I dated the daughter of the head guard at Thomaston State Prison Ken Demuth. Spent two summers one in Camden one on Rockport. I worked at a fabrication/ welding shop in Rockland for some crazy Sweed they were great times on my 75 Z1-900

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »

Sofadriver and firemanjim gave you good advice
I set the first Land speed record on a Hayabusa in 1999
was really tough to improve back then because there were no aftermarket parts
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 01:29:04 AM »
I agree they did give me good advice. It definitely made me rethink my program. I do appreciate when people take the time to help   I will be posting pics on my website. Acesandeightsmotorcycles.com and here
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:29:22 PM by Jruff5585 »

Offline bones

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 01:48:08 AM »
Use rear suspension if you can
I run in A-G/F 1350 with a rigid rear.
My first run this year at BMST was only 150 ( I have run over 200) It was so rough I was about
to pack up. The track did get better and/ or I got braver and had 1 run over 200.
It has not been a problem in Australia or Bonneville until this year
The guys with rear suspension had no problems

cheers    Bones

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
I have gone with the full suspension. I now have my rims, rotors, calapers and controls. Has anyone used ABS?  Also if anyone has a hart a friend of mine had 2 bikes stolen. Some of you guys know himchttps://www.gofundme.com/BonnevilleBound
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:19:16 AM by Jruff5585 »