Author Topic: Are records set at Speedweek, WOS and Finals world records  (Read 9563 times)

Offline nrhs sales

Are records set at Speedweek, WOS and Finals world records
« on: November 02, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »
I was always under the impression that records set at Speedweek, WOS or Finals are considred world records but I am being told they are not over in the BMST section of this forum.  He says only FIM/FIA records are world records.   Who is correct?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Are records set at Speedweek, WOS and Finals world records
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:12:54 PM »
SCTA/BNI Bonneville records are just that - BNI sanctioned Bonneville records.

FIM/FIA records are considered "World Records".

I often hear friends misspeak about my record, calling it a "world record".

I correct them in this way -

"No, it's not a world record, it's a Bonneville record.  You can get a world record anywhere in the world - but you can only get a Bonneville record at Bonneville".   :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:13:54 PM »
All my record certificates say "World Land Speed Record" right under my entry and that's good enough for me. If yours say the same thing (I know they do since I wrote them for 10 years) and you don't like it, either draw a line thru it or throw it away for all I care. But for me its a World Record.......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 11:50:40 PM »
That is a very good question NRHS and there is no "correct" answer because it is so subjective. SCTA is regional because so far they have only done sanctioned races in the Western USA (El Mirage, Bonneville, Black Rock, Mojave). To be a "World" record would mean the event could be held anywhere in the world, like Bolivia or Russia and be sanctioned by a world-recognized authority such as the FIM.

Likewise AMA (BMST) is a nationally sanctioned event (American), so it is not "World" either. It is a USA based event. I think AMA trumps SCTA because it is a national organization while SCTA is regional.

BUT - People come from all over the WORLD to compete in both events so both are recognized around the world.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 01:12:10 AM »
I guess my further thought is this. 

When someone says "World Record", the first thing that comes to mind is a book put out annually by an Irish brewing concern.  And don't get me wrong, I love me a quality Dublin Stout, and the book is often a good read.

But when one says "Bonneville Record", the nature and pedigree are less muddled to the unwashed, despite the fact that numerous sanctioning bodies have certified records at Bonneville.

Only after a few of the aforementioned stouts have I tried to explain the nuances, at which point people typically glaze over and say "Nyaaaah, it's a world record", and move on to a different topic.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
SCTA Bonneville records say "World Land Speed Record".

El Mirage records say "SCTA 1.3 Mile Dry Lake Record".

"It's a small world after all . . ."
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tortoise

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
Quote from: Me, in the other thread
The SCTA is an association of clubs, all of which are in Southern California. I can find no instance  of them claiming world record status for their records. Show me where I'm wrong.
Thank you Stan and Jimmy six.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 03:41:34 PM »
thanks for clearing that up guys.  I was relatively sure that SCTA records were considered world records but just wanted to be 100% correct.  When you get over 50 ya know the mind starts going to hell!   :-P

Offline tortoise

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 04:21:23 PM »
thanks for clearing that up guys.  I was relatively sure that SCTA records were considered world records but just wanted to be 100% correct.  When you get over 50 ya know the mind starts going to hell!   :-P
Well, from the fact that SCTA calls them world records it does not follow that they are, or should be considered, world records. As donpearsall pointed out, there is no "correct" answer because it is so subjective.

In particular, were someone to set an SCTA record in a class for there is a comparable international class, and the international class record is faster, one might well question whether that is a legitimate world record, regardless of what it says on the certificate.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:21:20 PM by tortoise »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 03:49:19 AM »
We've always considered SCTA-BNI & USFRA records as Bonneville records, we ran under FIA when we set World records & that's what Mike Cook does now.
  Sid.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
We've always considered SCTA-BNI & USFRA records as Bonneville records, we ran under FIA when we set World records & that's what Mike Cook does now.
  Sid.

Same here and a 'Bonneville Record' is something to be damn proud of and cherish,

Sumner

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »
  Sid.

Same here and a 'Bonneville Record' is something to be Dodge proud of and cherish,

Sumner

No $hit! That's why people come from all over the world to run on hallowed ground.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »
Well boys if it is the fastest anyone has gone in a vehicle class.... I don't care where it was timed over a mile distance at a sanctioned event, that would make it a "World Record"

So if my world record is faster than your world record....
I know who has the world record  :cheers:
and who has a national or regional record  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 10:07:59 PM »

Go to the FIM or the FIA Worlds Record listings, and you can see/read the progression of legitment World Records (from different parts of the world) since the formation of these World Motorsport orginisations,, Orginisations which were around long before any of our LandSpeed  Clubs,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline gowing

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2022, 02:40:18 PM »
An old thread but still a valid topic.
We were at the Bar last night when this very subject came up.

The uninformed in the group thought that setting a land speed record meant getting your name in the Guiness book of world records.

FIM, FIA, SCTA, AMA (and whatever other sanctioning bodies there may be) each have their own records.
I don't know for sure, but to me, logic would dictate that:

FIM/FIA being "International" records would truly be World records.
AMA records are "National" records.
and the others (SCTA, ECTA, etc..) are "Club" records. Call them regional records if you want.

Friends keep mistaking my AMA record by calling it a "world" record, and I have to correct them.

It's kinda like Boxing or Wrestling where each sanctioning organization has their own champions.
The waters become so muddied that being a champion becomes diluted.

Ultimately, I would have to go with the FIM/FIA records as the "undisputed champs",
 but what do I know ....
it could very well be the Folks listed in Guiness's book.