(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

This is a public forum. The opinions expressed here don't
necessarily reflect the feelings of The Folks That Run The Site (that's us)
unless we explicitly say so, ok?

Forum's been "upgraded".
Things will look a bit different.
A *few* posts might have gotten lost in the crossover.
PM bobc with problems, or post in "Website Suggestions".

Author Topic: /CPRO questions  (Read 2024 times)

Offline mergatroyd

/CPRO questions
« on: November 26, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »
Unibody car.

I plan on running this car at multiple venues, to include road racing. The floor is rusty as h, e, and a couple of hockey sticks, the roadracing org (24 hours of Lemons) requires a fairly traditional 6 point cage. I see other /Pro or /Alt cars with a significant foot protection section added to the cage. The rule book is unclear, showing a 4 point cage as adequate... what am I missing?
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: /CPRO questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
More and more the bottom legs of the cage are tied together and the driver seat is attached to these lower members---ie the driver is inside of a cage.  If your car is as rusty as you say I would bet they will require it  I have seen it asked for on other unibody cars with out traditional frames even nearly new.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »
More and more the bottom legs of the cage are tied together and the driver seat is attached to these lower members---ie the driver is inside of a cage.  If your car is as rusty as you say I would bet they will require it  I have seen it asked for on other unibody cars with out traditional frames even nearly new.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 10:21:30 PM »
Thanks, Sparky.

I did see a bottom cross bar in the back of someone else's cage (on a Ghia). His cage pictures show my other concern, too... the extension of the cage into the footwell. I have actual unibody car there, where he has a "removable" shell.

One of my team members can only use top-swing pedals, and I'm trying to keep the stock pedal arrangement... which would interfere with the front cross bar in the footwell of the Ghia. There's also a bit of transmission tunnel in the way of most any other design I have thunk up over the last week or so. This car is front engined, RWD.

Offline QikNip

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
Unibody car.

I plan on running this car at multiple venues, to include road racing. The floor is rusty as h, e, and a couple of hockey sticks, the roadracing org (24 hours of Lemons) requires a fairly traditional 6 point cage. I see other /Pro or /Alt cars with a significant foot protection section added to the cage. The rule book is unclear, showing a 4 point cage as adequate... what am I missing?

I think you're misinterpreting or maybe missing the word "minimum" in Rule 3.B.1,paragraph three. I have a six point cage with a full containment Kirkey Land Speed Seat (in a unibody car). It's passed tech multiple times with both SCTA and ECTA. My roll cage is basically a SCCA compliant road race design. As I understand the rule, if you aren't using a full containment seat, you would have to install a dragster type driver containment set of bars supported by floor bars beneath the seat as shown in Figure one.
Rick
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 11:35:01 PM »
I think I got confused with 3.D.3 and the fancy roll cages. QikNip has the answer, thanks!