Author Topic: /CPRO questions  (Read 3718 times)

Offline mergatroyd

/CPRO questions
« on: November 27, 2017, 12:58:38 AM »
Unibody car.

I plan on running this car at multiple venues, to include road racing. The floor is rusty as h, e, and a couple of hockey sticks, the roadracing org (24 hours of Lemons) requires a fairly traditional 6 point cage. I see other /Pro or /Alt cars with a significant foot protection section added to the cage. The rule book is unclear, showing a 4 point cage as adequate... what am I missing?
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: /CPRO questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 05:05:32 PM »
More and more the bottom legs of the cage are tied together and the driver seat is attached to these lower members---ie the driver is inside of a cage.  If your car is as rusty as you say I would bet they will require it  I have seen it asked for on other unibody cars with out traditional frames even nearly new.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »
More and more the bottom legs of the cage are tied together and the driver seat is attached to these lower members---ie the driver is inside of a cage.  If your car is as rusty as you say I would bet they will require it  I have seen it asked for on other unibody cars with out traditional frames even nearly new.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:21:30 PM »
Thanks, Sparky.

I did see a bottom cross bar in the back of someone else's cage (on a Ghia). His cage pictures show my other concern, too... the extension of the cage into the footwell. I have actual unibody car there, where he has a "removable" shell.

One of my team members can only use top-swing pedals, and I'm trying to keep the stock pedal arrangement... which would interfere with the front cross bar in the footwell of the Ghia. There's also a bit of transmission tunnel in the way of most any other design I have thunk up over the last week or so. This car is front engined, RWD.

Offline QikNip

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 04:05:24 PM »
Unibody car.

I plan on running this car at multiple venues, to include road racing. The floor is rusty as h, e, and a couple of hockey sticks, the roadracing org (24 hours of Lemons) requires a fairly traditional 6 point cage. I see other /Pro or /Alt cars with a significant foot protection section added to the cage. The rule book is unclear, showing a 4 point cage as adequate... what am I missing?

I think you're misinterpreting or maybe missing the word "minimum" in Rule 3.B.1,paragraph three. I have a six point cage with a full containment Kirkey Land Speed Seat (in a unibody car). It's passed tech multiple times with both SCTA and ECTA. My roll cage is basically a SCCA compliant road race design. As I understand the rule, if you aren't using a full containment seat, you would have to install a dragster type driver containment set of bars supported by floor bars beneath the seat as shown in Figure one.
Rick
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 12:35:01 AM »
I think I got confused with 3.D.3 and the fancy roll cages. QikNip has the answer, thanks!