Author Topic: Working Title: Leatherneck Express, an LSR S-10 from the Wichita, KS area  (Read 10410 times)

Offline aircap

Norris Andersen is a great Kansas racer with lots of dirt track and drag racing experience, and now - salt racing.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Not to mention one of the 3 200 MPH Club members living in Kansas  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline racergeo

What a crack up. I bought this from a guy in Spokane Wa. about 10 years ago and I'm in Olympia. After not doing anything with it (record got bumped up) I sold it and last I saw it was on a car hauler going somewhere? Now it's in Kansas.  LOL  I was trying to get a few guys to go to WOS and run up to 159 in 150 club but no takers.  Land racing is a small community. Yes it has 2.90 gears.     George

Offline ROKTSHP

• New folks
We hope to be joining that 200 mph club with this little S10. Be we know we have a long road ahead of us.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
Hope you get there as well... it ain't easy but it is rewarding.  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline TheHardOne

What a crack up. I bought this from a guy in Spokane Wa. about 10 years ago and I'm in Olympia. After not doing anything with it (record got bumped up) I sold it and last I saw it was on a car hauler going somewhere? Now it's in Kansas.  LOL  I was trying to get a few guys to go to WOS and run up to 159 in 150 club but no takers.  Land racing is a small community. Yes it has 2.90 gears.     George

Seemed like a semi-inexpensive entry into this form of racing, had to snatch it up.  Thanks for that bit of info, though... we're hoping to give it a return to the salt soon, albeit  with a facelift and a little angrier than it was almost a decade and a half ago.

Hope you get there as well... it ain't easy but it is rewarding.  :cheers:

So is it you, Mr. Andersen, and John (ggl205) red hatting it?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
In Kansas... so far... you could be next  8-)  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline TheHardOne

Brown truck dropped this off the other day... Getting the safety ball rolling so when we're looking at modifying the existing cage we'll have some stuff to check fit/clearance.  Looking for advice on a helmet now.  When I was at Topeka for the NHRA Nationals last month I tried on a Simpson Bandit and a Devil Ray.  Loved the fit of the Bandit.  Are there any recommendations or anything else I should look at or concern myself with?  It'll have the SA2015 cert, and the Super Bandit is pre-drilled for the SFI 38.1 hardware along with a Nomex liner (helmet I'm leaning towards at the moment).  Anybody have any feedback/experience with the Zamp Z-Tech Series 4a head restraint systems while we're at it?

Also, a question in regards to Section 3.W - Brakes... What constitutes an "adequate" braking system?  Our truck has been converted to manual brakes and we discovered (while installing engine mounts) that there are no front brakes present.  The rotor and caliper bracket are there but no hard lines, soft lines, calipers, or pads.  We DO have drum brakes on the rear end that function fine (will be rebuilt eventually).  I understand the parachute will be our main decelerating force so didn't know how much more we needed for the braking system, if anything.

:cheers:

Offline Ron Gibson

On a "Bonneville only" vehicle, brakes are to get it on and off the trailer. :-D Chute, rear brakes and lots of room are sufficient.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline GH

Hey Ron, I see you are on the pre entry list for SW.

Offline Ron Gibson

Hi Gary, yep, maybe wishfull thinking. Got my eyes fixed so I can see and a doctors weight restriction lifted so can now get after it. Not much time left and a lot to do.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.