Author Topic: Working Title: Leatherneck Express, an LSR S-10 from the Wichita, KS area  (Read 10379 times)

Offline TheHardOne

Hey all, this is the first post for my buddy and I's entry into land speed racing.  We bought an '88 S-10 from the classifieds section in this forum.  Buickracer69 had it but a daytrip to St. Louis and the truck was ours.  We're currently in the process of finishing up cancer removal and repainting my '71 K5 Blazer and once that's clear of the shop bay, in comes the S-10.  I've read and re-read several threads on here (brickster's Dakota comes to mind) as well as constantly flipping through the 2017 SCTA rule book in anticipation lol.

The truck ran at Bonneville back in 2004.  It's currently set-up up for a small block chevy and powerglide.  Has a Ford 9" with either a 2.90 or 2.75 gear (can't remember).  Our plan with it is to swap in the driveline from a 2001 Chevy 2500HD donor truck (6.0L LQ4, 4L80), get the safety equipment up to snuff, paint it up, throw a few bolt-ons at it, and go racing.  If only it were as easy to do as it is to type haha...

As far as racing, the plan is to bring a mild C/MMP truck for our first outing (hoping for 2019 if work allows us time to work on it) and in subsequent years, turn up the heat and see what we can coax out of it as a C/BMMP or more serious MMP.  The focus will be LSR but most anything straight line goes.  As to the "working" name.. my buddy and I went into the Corps within a couple months of each other straight out of high school, served our time in different parts of the world, and made it back home with all our fingers and toes.  It's just something I threw at it and we both liked it.

Hope the pics work...

Loading it up in St. Louis

Quick pit stop for some grub a celebratory brew before the haul home... had to snag a photo

S-10's original (?) drivers

Not-so-current pic of my K5's surgery... It's getting there.  Slowly.

Can't wait to get it going... in the meantime, I'll be reading/researching/daydreaming.  Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:24:27 PM by TheHardOne »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
I remember when Buickracer69 picked up this project - as I recall, "life got in the way". Not the first time - for any of us.  Hope he's well.
Good to see it going to a good home.  Kansas seems to be a hotbed for LSR.

It's never easy, but it's early in the ball game, and your already at second with nobody out.

And it helps to have a team name that references a John Wayne movie.  :cheers:

See it through - you can do a lot with a simple, straightforward and proven chassis like that.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline kiwi belly tank

I can see your enthusiasm from way over here in Idaho! My crystal ball shows heaps of fun in your future.
  Sid.

Offline TheHardOne

I know we're ready to get the ball rolling... Do you guys have any suggestions as far as picture hosting?  I figure I'll probably get trigger happy with a camera once this gets underway.  Photobucket is already keeping the pics from displaying so I'd like to figure something else out.

Offline Brickster

Looking forward to seeing what happens with this truck. At one time it seemed like there would be multiple c/bmmp's but at speedweek there was only one. Mine is still under construction.

Brick
1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP

Offline Hoody

I know we're ready to get the ball rolling... Do you guys have any suggestions as far as picture hosting?  I figure I'll probably get trigger happy with a camera once this gets underway.  Photobucket is already keeping the pics from displaying so I'd like to figure something else out.

Imgur works and is free for now at least?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Tyler, you can resize them to fit the parameters in the additional options area at the bottom of the posting block.  Email the pics you posted earlier to me, I will put them back in your post.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RansomT

You also have a venue that you can test n tune at, about 8 hours away.

Offline TheHardOne

Imgur works and is free for now at least?

AH HA!  Forgot about that site.  Had to try and remember my login info but it works!  Hopefully there isn't a bandwith limit there...

You also have a venue that you can test n tune at, about 8 hours away.

Where might that be?

Tyler, you can resize them to fit the parameters in the additional options area at the bottom of the posting block.  Email the pics you posted earlier to me, I will put them back in your post.

I fired the e-mail to ya.  I'll have to see how imgur works out though.  It seems to be working for the time being.

Offline RansomT

ECTA's new home at Blytheville, AR.

Offline TheHardOne

Hey folks!  Been a good bit since I've posted anything.  Not much to update, however... Mostly lots of daydreaming.  Acquiring parts and pieces for the S-10 where we can and trying to get my old K5 off to the body shop to free up the bay it's been in.  I've been caught up working out of town too much to get anything significant accomplished and my partner isn't much better off.  He's currently working somewhere in Louisiana and when he returns, I'll be taking off to Missouri for a good bit.  As I've always been told, you've either got the time or the money but never both.  :wink: 

Not too long after acquiring the S-10, my partner and I happened across a screaming deal on a running '01 Chevy 2500HD pickup.  Snatched that up as the powertrain donor for our salt truck...  Fairly fresh 6.0L LQ4 engine and a 4L80E in need of a little attention.  We know a trans guy so no worries there.  Don't much care about the rest as it'll likely be off to the scrapper after selling off anything usable on it. 

I also happened across a mud truck recently that, after considering the parts that were used in the build, was way too sweet on price to pass up.  It, too, has a 6.0L LQ4.  It dyno'd 380 hp to the ground it's current habitat, though.  I call that habitat Big Ugly.  PO just called it Frank.  My partner and I are thinking that engine will probably work it's way into the S-10 in the name of time.  I know the builder and trust the work.  The rest of Big Ugly, though... well, it just might stick around for some local mud pit terrorizing with a different heartbeat.  We'll see...

Hopefully we'll have a chance to check out a few vendors at the NHRA Nationals in Topeka in May.  Try to get that fire-suit hurdle jumped while there and if not, at least know what size to order when I get home.

Enjoy reading through all you guys' build threads, hopefully one day we'll get to contributing a little more.  Next time I post, I'll load down on some pictures of the truck as it sits for a solid documentation of our starting point.  Until then...  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:30:17 PM by TheHardOne »

Offline TheHardOne

It's update time!

We've actually managed to move forward a little on our project. But first...
My girlfriend and I spent a few days up in NW Nebraska visiting family and made a run up to South Dakota for a little sight-seeing.  Our return trip home had us shooting straight down 35 and as I came through Concordia, KS I spied a little something peeking at me through the window...

Woke the girlfriend up when I hit the brakes and turned off so I could go look a little closer.  Little research shows this truck is the record holder in AA/MP.  Short YouTube video up of one of his passes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gF2mU48xgs

Nice bit of motivation.  On to Leatherneck Express...

Firstly,

It's in the shop!  For the time being... The '71 K5 that has lived in that bay has been sent off to get coated in epoxy primer due to being media blasted recently.
Prior to the S10 being in the shop, we had the mud truck in yanking the engine out to get it cleaned up and ready to sit down in the S10.  The mud truck will be stripped of anything of value and hauled off to the scrapper before too long.

In the name of time we are planning on using a power glide for the trans in the S10.  The truck ran with one before and is still set up and ready for one.  I know we're losing top end not having an OD gear but my partner and I both have crazy work schedules so anywhere we can save time is worth considering.  Eventually we'll probably go T-56, but that trans currently resides in another vehicle.  Still sorting forced induction ideas but that is a ways off yet.  Goal for the end of the week is to have the engine and trans married and sitting in the truck to start checking fitment and ride height.

I'll wrap this update with a few more pictures

Thanks for looking and until next time...  :cheers:

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
What part of Wichita are you from?

John

Offline TheHardOne

I'm just SE, outside of Rose Hill.  My partner is from the Augusta area.

Offline TheHardOne

Got the engine and trans dropped in last night.  If only it were as easy to do as it was to type it... Gonna have some clearancing to do on the engine cross member and maybe a bit on the firewall just for peace of mind.

Front clip installed.  Headers will be fun to source and/or make.

Ride height (ish).  There's still a bit of weight to throw at the nose of the truck just yet but at least we have an idea.

That's all for now!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 07:24:55 PM by TheHardOne »