Author Topic: Bloodhound low-speed trials...  (Read 7099 times)

Offline TD

Re: Bloodhound low-speed trials...
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »
Completely agree.   Thanks.

The following provided for your enjoyment :)

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 08:34:56 PM »
PorkPie -

If the bloodhoundssc web site is to be believed, the plan for the rocket is:

• Single-engine, mono-propellant ('synthetic rubber' - polybutadiene?) for use up to 800 MPH
  • Multi-engine, bi-propellant ('synthetic rubber' fuel + HTP oxidizer) - for use up to 1000 MPH

Obviously if they aren't using HTP then they don't need an oxidizer pump, nor driver for that pump.

I'm not so young that I believe everything that I read on the web, plus plans change.  I guess we'll find out when The Plan is in place.

Not sure what you're looking at on the Bloodhound website but my understanding is the mono-propellant rocket would be just HTP (no fuel) - the split of HTP through the catalyst generates significant thrust.  Bi-propellant is: HTP (oxidiser) and HTPB (fuel).

Mark Chapman (chief engineer) said 600-650mph using the jet only was the target next year - he didn't say that was the theoretical top speed on the jet only.
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 03:26:04 PM »
For the media at the event at Newquay the step that the engineering team want to take in South Africa* next year is using the jet and a single nozzle monopropellant rocket (decomposing high test peroxide (HTP) across a 'catalyst' screen). A year later they expect to use a three nozzle rocket cluster system with the EJ200 jet and that is understood to be hybrid rockets of HTP oxidant and HTPB fuel. Not familiar with HTPB? Hydroxyl terminated poly butadiene, which can be cast in various shapes and burns when the very hot decomposing peroxide flows over it.

* - a British reporter is suggesting in his story that a different testing location may be used for reasons of sponsorship and timing.     
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline TD

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 07:42:25 PM »
I sit corrected!  Thanks.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 06:54:19 AM »
I sit corrected!  Thanks.

I did not interview Richard, so what is reported from the event held in Newquay (by others) may show that the BSSC team did not offer a clear message about 2018 & 2019 & 2020. Marketing differing with Engineering? Could my information be inaccurate?

The potential move away from the Jaguar fuel pump engine to an electric drive was sold to the press on the basis of the technology advancements in this area in recent years. [However, as this drive might come from Volvo (through sponsor Geely), the last of the Jaguar 'involvement' would be gone in favour of a current named sponsor].

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
I wonder how you go about getting major international sponsorship for your fuel pump.  We might need a new one for our roadster.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »
I wonder how you go about getting major international sponsorship for your fuel pump.  We might need a new one for our roadster.

Let me know if you do Stan, I'm international! :-D
  Sid.

Online Elmo Rodge

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »
That's great Sid. How'd you like to sponsor a fuel pump?  :cheers:
Wayno