Author Topic: A proposal  (Read 13087 times)

Offline Chris V

Re: A proposal
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 11:29:03 AM »
My vote is to keep it the way it is with immediate return run for record so as to continue racing the rest of the day
that's why my wife and I do it is to come and ride as much as we can.
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
AMA records do the same thing, on the same course, on the same days.  So what is your point?

Same thing as SCTA or same thing as FIM?  AMA records, if I understand correctly, are also FIM records, if they're fast enough.  You know, I didn't think what I said was even mildly controversial.

I don't know what your question about "my point" means.

Are you familiar with FIM motorcycle classes? AMA classes and FIM classes are very. VERY different..  For instance FIM does not differentiate between pushrod or non pushrod engines but it does matter how many cylinders the bike has which doesn't matter to AMA.  There are quite a few current AMA records that are actually faster than the equivalent FIM records
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:19:38 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »
Tortoise,
Do you hold some current FIM motorcycle records?  I do not.  All of our records are SCTA/BNI or AMA records.  We have never felt the need to go thru the FIM hassle as IMO a record is a record no matter who sanctions it and our focus is 100% on pushrod engined bikes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:35:54 PM by nrhs sales »

Offline tortoise

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »
Tortoise,
Do you hold some current FIM motorcycle records?  I do not.  All of our records are SCTA/BNI or AMA records.  We have never felt the need to go thru the FIM hassle as IMO a record is a record no matter who sanctions it and our focus is 100% on pushrod engined bikes.

No to this and the question in your previous post. I agree that a record is a record. My interest is mainly in cars. My comment which seemed to set you off was only an observation that some people want records sanctioned by the world bodies.  The organizers of the BMST and the Top Speed Shootout cannot unilaterally change the rules.

Offline knucklenutz

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »
Back to my original idea........
 Because of recent weather and track conditions, I feel that if rules were homogenized, a person could run at different meets with out the trouble of re-configuring. An example : John & Tom ship their bikes from Denmark just about every other year. On a year where there is bad weather and BMST is canceled, they are pretty much screwed. If SCTA & AMA rules were the same, They could make their trip worthwhile by having the convenience of bing able to compete at Speed Week, BMST and El Mirage all in very near a months time. I understand that there are relatively few competitors that are shipping from overseas.  My point is more about bringing this sport together.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »
At one time AMA did run the bikes at SpeedWeek. Then in an effort to make SpeedWeek more homogenized BNI took over the rules and records. It seems to have plesaed lots of people for quite some time, now. I doubt AMA is going to change the way they do business. But between the BMST, USFRA, and BNI you should be able to find something that makes you happy. 

Offline **RP**

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
I also doubt the AMA will change the way they run the event or change the class rules to line up with SCTA class rules.  I submitted proposals for AMA class rule changes to try to get the rules lined up 2 years in a row with no success.
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline maj

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 03:04:00 PM »
The rules are currently quite similar , better than a few years ago anyway , we have no problem running in AMA or FIM straight after SCTA or vise versa 

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 06:53:32 AM »
My vote is to keep it the way it is with immediate return run for record so as to continue racing the rest of the day
that's why my wife and I do it is to come and ride as much as we can.

For the first time, I attended both BMST and WOS this year. I went as a competitor at BMST, but as a Tech inspector at WOS.  

I, like you, was always quite happy to be able to get my return run almost immediately so I could go out and try to bump my own record.  At one meet, I had to make three down runs, qualifying for a record each time, and three return runs before I got the record.  First return, the carburetor came loose, second return resulted in running just off course at the return mile timer, and thirdly being successful.

So at WOS, I noticed that as you say record qualifiers had to wait in impound until the next morning.  But one team had the remedy.  I met Allen and John Levie who brought not just one but three machines - - an open 175cc turbo charged bike, a side car kneeler, and a sidecar streamliner - - all in one trailer!  Qualified for records in all three classes which took most of the day.  Came back the next morning and made two successful back-up runs while the kneeler's motor failed.  They spent the rest of the morning changing classes and qualified for two more records that afternoon in Gas classes rather than the Fuel classes.  Came back the next morning and were successful in both those changed classes, so set about changing classes again, the streamliner back in gas to try to bump its own record, and by adding a sidecar wheel to the open bike, both changes which were successful!  So six records in 2-1/2 days.  The moral of the story is that you can keep running at SCTA events, as long as you bring extra machines.

Tom
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:01:23 AM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!