Author Topic: A proposal  (Read 13086 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: A proposal
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 12:43:31 AM »
It is nice to be able to make that record run and return close together in time like it is now.  The next day the meet could be over or rained out.  Also, it is more challenging to do them back-to-back and there is some satisfaction that goes along with it.  It would be fuming it down to go to the next day format. 

Offline salt27

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 03:46:35 AM »
It is nice to be able to make that record run and return close together in time like it is now.  The next day the meet could be over or rained out.  Also, it is more challenging to do them back-to-back and there is some satisfaction that goes along with it.  It would be fuming it down to go to the next day format. 

Bo, you make a point but there is also something about those sunrise backup runs that are enthralling.

Don

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »

Bo, you make a point but there is also something about those sunrise backup runs that are enthralling.

Don

I also think it would awesome to see all the record runs being made all together first thing each day.  Everyone would know who is going for record instead of the craziness we have now plus I think it would greatly speed up the event.

Offline Chris V

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »
So if return run is done on the following AM and your down run is early on the day before would your bike sit in impound all day and night !!
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »
Under SCTA rules - yes, if you qualify you must go to impound and your vehicle stays there until the pit steward releases you the next morning - or you forfeit your return run.

You must present to impound within one hour of the exit time on your timing slip, and you have four hours on which to perform routine maintenance and stuff on your vehicle.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »
Under SCTA rules - yes, if you qualify you must go to impound and your vehicle stays there until the pit steward releases you the next morning - or you forfeit your return run.

You must present to impound within one hour of the exit time on your timing slip, and you have four hours on which to perform routine maintenance and stuff on your vehicle.

I would love to see these rules implemented at BMST.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 07:40:42 PM »

In hell, they want ice water. You want a world record, you play by FIM rules.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
One has to smile at a thread like this  :-),,

The proponents are always quick to applaud the Records set by fellow competitors who have "all" played within(and verified) the rules,, however when it comes to "them" (the proponets) thay seek change  :roll:

Not sure what you are trying to imply as I currently hold several records so that would not apply to me.  My goal is to get the track running quicker and to have the AMA rules more in line with the SCTA/BNI rules so that records set at one event would be closer in "value" to another events records.   And personally I wish the FIM was no more at BMST.    That is my opinion so no reason to argue about it.

Offline knucklenutz

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »
NRHS Sales, Thank you for your support and sensible approach to this mess. Having a system of interchangeable rules would simplify Land Speed Racing.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »

I think the folks who run Speedweek,  WOS and finals would tend to disagree with you as the records set at those events are considered world records.  FIM is not the only game in town.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 01:27:58 PM »

I think the folks who run Speedweek,  WOS and finals would tend to disagree with you as the records set at those events are considered world records.  FIM is not the only game in town.

The SCTA is an association of clubs, all of which are in Southern California. I can find no instance  of them claiming world record status for their records. Show me where I'm wrong. Personally, I have as much, if not more, respect for a SCTA record as an FIA or FIM record, but that's not the question. Racers have risked, even lost their life, running by international rules at Bonneville, where a two way course was a sketchy proposition, so the world record seems to have had meaning for them beyond that of an SCTA record.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »
Every person I have ever talked to who set a record at the SCTA/BNI events at Bonneville has always referred to it as a "world record".   If I am wrong about that I would like to hear from an SCTA official.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 03:22:09 PM »

I think the folks who run Speedweek,  WOS and finals would tend to disagree with you as the records set at those events are considered world records.  FIM is not the only game in town.

The SCTA is an association of clubs, all of which are in Southern California. I can find no instance  of them claiming world record status for their records. Show me where I'm wrong. Personally, I have as much, if not more, respect for a SCTA record as an FIA or FIM record, but that's not the question. Racers have risked, even lost their life, running by international rules at Bonneville, where a two way course was a sketchy proposition, so the world record seems to have had meaning for them beyond that of an SCTA record.

AMA records do the same thing, on the same course, on the same days.  So what is your point?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »
AMA records do the same thing, on the same course, on the same days.  So what is your point?

Same thing as SCTA or same thing as FIM?  AMA records, if I understand correctly, are also FIM records, if they're fast enough.  You know, I didn't think what I said was even mildly controversial.

I don't know what your question about "my point" means.

Offline JimL

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 07:12:18 PM »
Huge advantage to all day impound and early morning return runs:  You never have to set up a pit.  Be ready to make the first half of the record, straight from first inspection.  Bike goes to impound until morning.  Go straight back to impound and then make your class change....and so on until you made the records you came for.  It is a lot less stress and saves money and time.

Also...the guests and spectators love dropping by impound to see what is happening and who is in there.  It is very nice for those visitors and it makes the event feel "organized" for their enjoyment (after all.....they do pay to be there and they should enjoy the show!)

As far as what to call the record, I always called it a "Bonneville record".  That's about all you can call it, considering all the possible events down through the years.