Author Topic: 1965 Green Monster Art Arfons "sponsor decal"?  (Read 2293 times)

Offline arieb

• New folks
1965 Green Monster Art Arfons "sponsor decal"?
« on: October 20, 2017, 08:44:34 AM »
Hello all,

I have been looking into the history of the various Arfons Green Monsters, at least the Land Speed Record ones rather than the drag racing cars, and am stuck on one single "sponsor decal" where I have been unable to find any picture clearly and legibly showing that particular oval logo.

The one I am talking about is on the right side of the car on one of the rear panels of the cockpit (where the cockpit slopes down towards the body) just above the Ed Snyder name.
On the left side of the cars the same spot shows the Mobil flying Pegasus, and on some fuzzy pictures the one on the right looks like a shield on two crossed flags. Saying that makes me think of the USAC logo, but it is not the same as the USAC logo I know of in 1965. I have attached a couple of the photos that I do have.

I am aware that a lot of these logo's were handpainted and could differ from the official version. I am looking for a clear and legible picture of that one detail and I hope someone may be able to help me out here!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Arie

Offline will6er

Re: 1965 Green Monster Art Arfons "sponsor decal"?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:19:52 PM »
I found an image on Yahoo. It is USAC

Will Willis

Offline arieb

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 03:25:13 AM »
Hi Will,
Thanks for that info, but is that different from the USAC logo I have attached now?
If it is, could you let me have the URL or a link please?

To me the logo I found is similar but not the same as the one on the car.
Thanks in advance!
Arie

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »
I have some of the USAC Longines Chronometers timing gear from that time & all the decals are the same as the last pic you posted. That blurry one you posted was probably hand painted with some artist's added pin stripes.
  Sid.

Offline arieb

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
Hi Sid,

That is what I mentioned I surmised in my first post, and because of that I am looking for a clear picture of that bit of Arfons' Green Monster.
I could draw-up my own "version" using the "official" USAC logo, but put it in an oval shape and add (probably) red, white and blue brackets to the left and right side of the shield on the flags, but if at all possible I would like to be 100% certain.

So, I am still hoping someone somewhere has a picture of that particular area of the 1965 Green Monster.
It was even still on the car when it went around the country (Daytona among others) after having set the record even though the other sponsor stickers were not 100% the same or in the same order compared to when the car was going for the record at Bonneville.

Arie

Offline TD

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 02:54:57 PM »
Maybe a slightly better image here?

http://www.samuelhawley.com/lsrphotosmonster3.html

Offline arieb

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »
Hi TD,
Thanks for that link!
I had not only seen it before, but as I cannot really see on the picture whether it does say USAC, I contacted Sam Hawley and asked if he had a higher resolution version of the same picture or maybe another one.
Unfortunately that was not the case, so I am still looking!

Arie