Author Topic: Motorcycle question for P-PP  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Unforgiven

Motorcycle question for P-PP
« on: October 13, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
Kinda sketchy but, if you enter as specific model do you have to run what was provided on the sub model of the chassis model, such as a Sportster (XL) classed as a Standard, Low, Custom, Roadster. And do they require the vin to match sub-model.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Motorcycle question for P-PP
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »
You may be required to provide documentation that the model you are running as factory stock appearing is a factory stock appearance.  Spec sheets, factory brochures, etc

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline comet

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:21:51 AM »
I have in my rules for Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials that "All production class motorcycles shall have manufacturer documentation specific to the entry". So I would read that you need to provide paperwork that shows your frame was stock at the factory.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:07:40 AM »
Clarify, please:

This topic is listed ad "SCTA rules questions" and you're quoting BMST rules.  Which sanctioning body are we discussing?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline comet

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »
sorry, quite right. My error. Apologies.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the answers. The frame I am using still has all the factory info on it. Vin is on the steering neck too. Was wondering about gas tanks and foot peg locations. On the standards and roadsters the tank is the 3.3 tank and the footpegs are mid mount. On the Customs and Low they are the 4.5 tank (which sits lower on the backbone) and forward controls. So nothing that is model specific can be changed ?

Offline edinlr

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
If you are going to run in any organization's PP class, the bike needs to look exactly like it does in the shop manual for that model.  Remember, the guy who holds that record will probably be looking at your bike on the line or in tech, so why go through all this work only to get bounced for a dumb mistake?  Other than mirrors and turn signals, the closer it looks to showroom stock, the less problems you will have.  If the bike came with rubber brake lines, don't replace them with stainless lines.  Don't use fire hose in production you will get bounced - been there done that.  All brakes and wheels must appear stock.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »
I second the stainless brake lines thing, and add that we made sure that the engine was the factory color (it wasn't the factory metal in our situation, but we dang sure made it look like it).

But - in SCTA I've always found the inspectors willing to offer up information that might be useful in keeping the bike within the rules - and yet yield a tad of performance in some manner.  They want you to set records, too - just legally.  Don't be afraid to ask if you can do something.  They won't get all snitty and look extra-hard at EVERYTHING just 'cause you asked about one thing.

YMMV. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »
I sure appreciate all the helpful answers. Someone told me the SCTA guys were the easiest to get along with, hopefully life won't get in the way of this.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 07:01:38 PM »
I know I had all the Factory documentation in my possession when I went to impound. I had no Idea that the inspector actually owned the exact year and model bike that I was running. I was finished with inspection and engine tech. before I found out he had the same bike. Foot peg location and ground clearance is a tech. item on P-PP class. So if you don't like front controls, pick a different model. Trust me, Front controls get hairy after 150 MPH.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 01:01:40 AM »
Thanks man. Yea, I thought  after looking at the rules for P-PP almost everything seen is a tech item. I was and am still trying to find out if the set up must match the VIN code or if you can just make it a standard by replacing all the custom or low parts, such as forwards, taller bars, etc. I like the lower 4.5 gallon tank on those sportster models as I can get down farther outa the wind. But, to have the 4.5 tank, I would have to run the forwards and the taller bars, which suck at speed. Literally.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 10:35:57 AM »
Your handlebars can be changed, you don't have to run the ape hangers to race.  Read the specific rules for the organization in the production class.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 02:58:43 PM »
Thanks man. Ya'll are a helpful bunch. Glad about that. The other site I belonged to the site sponsor would be trying to sell me his super, mobetta than anyone else, will make you go faster top secret pistons: I called bullcrap so I got banned. :cheers: