Author Topic: Bill Taylor passing  (Read 1457 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Bill Taylor passing
« on: July 25, 2022, 06:57:16 AM »
looks that Bill is somewhat forgotten....

yesterday there was a very sad note on a FB page,

that longtime SCTA starter, great photographer and 200 Club member (1969)

Bill Taylor passed away.

he fight for a long time with cancer and he found now his way home

Bill, all this years you was a great friend and a photographer with a special eye view - your 1991 photo of Big Al Teague will be in the mind forever

R.I.P. , you will be missed
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Bill Taylor passing
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 07:51:03 AM »
So sorry to hear. Bill was a great guy.

He was so gracious when I hit my personal best in 2011...not a record but good enough for my "A" license. Bill insisted on a photo and I am glad we did.

Rest in peace Mr. Taylor.

BR

Tried to post the photo but it posted upside down. 
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 09:05:55 AM »
May he Rest in Peace.  Bill understood us in his special way since he was from Minnesota and therefore had an understanding of Yoopers.  Thanks and a tip of the (red) hat, Bill.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 11:22:17 AM »
Bill's start line mantra "be safe, have fun, go fast and remember the throttle works both ways" was good advice for me. RIP Bill, I miss your Christmas cards.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 02:34:04 PM »
Another "well crap" moment... Bill was a great safety advocate... He will be missed...
He stopped us from running one year when we rolled to the line.  This was before the rulebook did a redo of seatbelts for lay down cars.  He said our crotch belt needed to pull in a straight line with the shoulder straps... That was a good thing, we found Diest, he had cheek belts, came over to the car, showed us what to do for that meet and then what to do for the next.  The cheek belts solved a problem with sliding down and we wrapped the crotch around a tube.... mounts were welded in by the next meet....
When we arrived back in line Bill inspected what we did and deemed us safe to go down his course.  Much like Higbee, he wanted every run to be as safe as possible.  The starters job is not just to launch you down a clear course... it's to make sure you can safely go down that course.  The throttle works both ways is what he always told us with the car and the Kid when we ran the bike. 
GodSpeed Bill I know you're keeping our racing heroes safe
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 05:52:51 AM »
Bill sent me off on my first pass in the Kelly & Hall Lakester. I've got a great picture somewhere. Somewhere.  :roll:
Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 10:49:21 AM »
Was looking for another pic for another thread, but found this one... Bill starting the Bockscar in 2010.
Bet Bill's Bonneville didn't get rained out this year.... he is among friends.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 11:55:18 AM »
Cute jumper, Stainless.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RogerL

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 12:32:20 PM »
Very sad news. Rest in peace my friend.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2022, 06:01:09 PM »
My first run was started by Bill.  I heard him tell me that the throttle works both ways, and then he said:  "The course is yours".  Wow, what a feeling he gave this rookie with those words.

Rest in Peace and wear that red hat like always, Bill.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline deucemac

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2022, 01:41:18 AM »
Bill and I  were very good friends for over 50 years. Bonneville, El Mirage, sprint  cars, plus his great photography . I had the honor of representing him when he was  inducted into the dry  lakes hall of fame several  years ago. He called me out of the blue  and  asked if I  would  accept his award  on his behalf. He had moved  from  San Diego  to Plymouth, Minnesota  to be near his  children  by then and his wife, Dwianna  was ill  and  not able to travel . I was honored and humbled to do that for  him. Bill was my last connection  to San Diego  racers, with  the  passing of   Fred  Lobello  and Bob McCoy Bill  was a kind talented, and brilliant man and great friend. When he retired to Minnesot, I would  call him daily, from the  salt and give him updates.Five  or six years  ago  Bill had though he had beaten Cancer, but it came back this year  with a vengeance and Bill was called  home. A micro example  of  how important  Bill felt his  starters position  became  vertical evident  one year  as I visited  with his wife  on the  starting line. Here was Bill performing his duties  as  a starter  and eating a hamburger  all at the same time .  I asked Dwianna  why  didn't  he come and sit  under the  lean-to  and eat his lunch. Dwianna  said that Bill  felt that the racers  had worked  too hard  and too long  to have him slow down  the line  while sitting on the side  eating  lunch. That was  Bill. There  are so many  wonderful  stories  that just don't allow me the time  to  share here. Bill was and will  always  be  a  special friend to me  and  also many others. One last thing, Bill and Dwianna  still had his 1969 record setting roadster in the garage in Minnesota. I talked to Bill's  son after the funeral  and he told me that  they were negotiating with Speedy Bill's  museum in Lincoln  Nebraska to donate it for permanent  display . God Speed  my friend, you will  never be forgotten !

Offline Gary Freudenberger

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 02:35:02 AM »
I know Freud had the upmost respect for Bill. Sorry to hear the news of his passing. RIP Bill, tell dad hi for me.