Author Topic: 1000cc MPG or A/PG questions for WOS  (Read 15821 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: 1000cc MPG or A/PG questions for WOS
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 10:31:31 AM »

I knew there was way more to it than just haulin' the mail. I know a team that races Buells and they said it is sometimes like riding on ball bearings. I believe this is gonna be just what I need to do

If it was easy everybody would be doing it....
Wait till you set a record to celebrate it....
When folks ask how fast we are going to go I always correct the question and tell them how fast we need to go instead
Good luck
See ya on the salt if you get there  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 12:59:06 PM »
P-PP is where I will end up. I am sure I have everything in the shop and barn to build the bike. I have been reading over at the USFRA site and I found the best description of the salt and course there. I have never been there, but I could visibly see dude sideways for a mile . Now I get it. Holy crap I wouldn't want to hit a washout on a motorcycle at over 150. I have survived a sand hit at 60 once, and it sucked. Man I can't wait, finally something to get excited about again.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
Good luck next week. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »
Here's a bit to give you another view of racing a bike on the salt.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImtEKiicus
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »
P-PP is where I will end up. I am sure I have everything in the shop and barn to build the bike. I have been reading over at the USFRA site and I found the best description of the salt and course there. I have never been there, but I could visibly see dude sideways for a mile . Now I get it. Holy crap I wouldn't want to hit a washout on a motorcycle at over 150. I have survived a sand hit at 60 once, and it sucked. Man I can't wait, finally something to get excited about again.

My first few runs at El Mirage went something like this...

I bought my old AMA Pro-Twins bike back from the guy I sold it to in 1994. I didn't run the bike in anger before my first ElMo event, as I wanted to save the motor. I also moved the seat rearward for more drive traction. These 2 things conspired to make my first run quite "interesting". I had the padding in the seat while I roadraced as I liked to crowd/load the front end and have a light touch on the bars. With the seat now back, and at 100 MPH plus, I was now hanging on for dear life putting way too much input into the bars. The rearward seat together with an ankle I broke 17 years ago conspired to make me miss the shift to 5th. I tried a second time, this time jerking my whole leg and foot upward. Still missed the shift, and now had the bars twitching from all the input. Was looking down at the lake bed and noticed what looked like huge ruts that I was going at a low angle to. At this point I didn't know if I was in 4th or 5th, said eff it, pinned it, and just finished the run at 115 MPH. After a track walk, managed to convince myself that what looks like ruts is actually smooth lake bed with rubber laid on it by wide car tires. Cut up my foam cooler and taped some padding on my saddle, and adjusted the shifter angle. Next day, made a second run of 129.3. My point, I had 7 years roadracing THIS bike (the first 7 of an 18 year career), and many hundreds of races, and yet I was totally unprepared for what a simple run up though the gears on a dry lake would entail.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
I have been riding a motorcycle for transportation forever; Well since 1976. Been drag racing and fiddlin' with sportsters and a couple other models for decades. Hell we were doing 1250 sportsters before it was cool. Maybe this will give me an advantage. I don't want to pick on the Moto Guzzi's because I have owned a 1968 850 Eldorado (that is what the previous owner said it was) since 1994, and I have feelings for her; All was good until last year I tried to dodge some deer, and then she body slammed me. She is still sitting in the corner until I decide to let her out. I'm not very competitive. Even when I drag raced, I never really paid much attention to the other racer. I'm kinda all about the bike and being one with it.  I got a mean ass tuck; You can hardly tell me apart from the motorcycle. :lol:

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »
Here's a bit to give you another view of racing a bike on the salt.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImtEKiicus

Ah hell, if I crash (if I ever get there) I am going to crash way mobetta than that.

Offline maj

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »
You dont get better than that , Jason was riding (battlescarred) at the next meeting a couple of weeks later  :cheers:

Good luck out there , you know this is addictive right  :-D