Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464169 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #855 on: August 12, 2020, 01:20:36 AM »
Very impressive Robert!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #856 on: August 12, 2020, 09:08:05 AM »
Well what can we say but  WAY TO GO SS!!  :cheers:  14 atta boys to you and your "CREW"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #857 on: August 13, 2020, 09:23:57 PM »
I can say this because I was one of the Bockscar crew; that car worked perfectly all week. All it required was gas, change of coolant and ice for the inter cooler. Most of the work surrounded getting the car on and off the trailer. It got Stainless another record and Dave Chambers (a rookie to LSR but a long time veteran in sprint cars), his A license. What a week.

John

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #858 on: August 14, 2020, 07:45:41 AM »
A few pictures from the salt.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:47:24 AM by mc2032 »
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #859 on: August 14, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »
OK....Starting from the left,Who is who? (..and by the way..which one's Pink?) :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #860 on: August 14, 2020, 01:34:47 PM »
What a sexy looking little thing you guys have created---congrats to all  from PP>SS and all in between!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #861 on: August 14, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
What a sexy looking little thing you guys have created---congrats to all  from PP>SS and all in between!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks Sparky,

design follows function.....looks that the design works....

the whole team done a great job the last months....the record the great outcome....

Bockscar team...have a safe trip home
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #862 on: August 15, 2020, 11:54:22 AM »
Thanks everyone... we had a great week... My hope was that Dave would take the record I set earlier in the week.  I gave him 500 rpm more than I gave me, but the course was ugly enough after the 4 that he decided in route that just getting to drive over 200 MPH at the salt was good enough. 
OK Jerry, Danni Morris, our umbrella girl and push truck speed caller when I was pushing Dave... she and her dad Allyn (taking the pic) showed up Wednesday on their way to take her to Boulder for her sophomore year.
The tall ugly guy is me... the short ugly guy in the firesuit is Dave Chambers, the guy that built the body and painted the car.  Next guy trying to hide his belly behind everyone is Johnboy, then Marty Sidrich, one of Dave's car  buddies... I met him at one of my all school reunions, his lady Lynn and I went to the same high school(she is much younger)... then he showed up at Dave's and said I know you, what are you doing here?
And finally John Goodman, ggl205 on this site... His car should be ready for World Finals since they cancelled WoS... how's that for pressure John?  The aura around the car in Barc Goodson.
We had other helpers earlier in the week... Corey and Casey Goodson and their wives were out, they brought Barc to ride with me on the initial pass and the first 200MPH pass.  I carried a Star from Barc's flag in my pocket every run.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:58:14 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #863 on: August 15, 2020, 07:45:08 PM »
Congrats Stainless!  Great to meet you and Johnboy. Glad to see I'm not the only one thought the track wasn't great.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #864 on: August 15, 2020, 09:50:55 PM »
Congrats Stainless and crew!  Was able to listen to the live stream on day one and two,  was curious how the rest of the week fared for Bockscar... glad to hear it went well!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #865 on: August 24, 2020, 11:46:08 AM »
Car is apart for cleaning, a few things on the list to change/modify before World Finals. Hoping the new wire and computer will show up and put me back in thrash mode.... I still might get it on the dyno even if I run the old computer....  a couple of things to look at in the program. 
Ross pulled the chain tensioner to clean up the wheel and make a mod to the clamp...  we will see how it does next time out... might need different material.
The clutch master is getting replaced or rebuilt... don't know which yet but it is a CNC (Neal) and they went out of business last year, parts are already rare.  We had a couple of issues with the clutch just going flat...
Might look at new turbo, the one on there is not efficient and may be causing air temp issues that lead to timing roll back... reducing power...
I am adding a little ballast to the nose and on the hunt for lighter springs.  More on that later.
It was a good week racing, car performed well for its first race, but there were things that could be improved... 
The good news is nothing shook loose, fell off or caused us to pack up early  :cheers:
Pictures if I get anything accomplished...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #866 on: August 24, 2020, 01:26:56 PM »
(..and by the way..which one's Pink?) :cheers:

Welcome to the (new) machine.

Now stop upping records and let the new kids have a turn  :-D
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #867 on: August 24, 2020, 03:14:40 PM »
They'll get their turn, but it may take a while.

I set and upped my C/StR record 4 times over 6 years.  I guess they caught up ? they went by me so fast I'm not sure what happened.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #868 on: August 24, 2020, 03:43:49 PM »
In '18 at World of Speed, with Stainless' help, we set then reset the record 2 or 3 more times.  No matter how many times you set it, they just send you one certificate.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #869 on: August 24, 2020, 05:50:21 PM »
I've got all 8 of mine on the wall ? Bonneville and El Mirage.

I don't know what the problem is with yours.  Set 'em all at the same meet?  I'd guess they'd only send the last one.  They'd take more time sorting out a situation like that than was needed.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records