Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464119 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #780 on: July 15, 2020, 12:45:33 PM »
You might be a little out of sequence Robert..Bockscar's nose art was added after her visit to Nagasaki. 1drink
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:47:42 PM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #781 on: July 15, 2020, 12:58:17 PM »
Years ago I talked on the phone with the pilot of Bock's Car, Chuck Sweeny. He wasn't very friendly but "Enola Gay" pilot Paul Tibbits was a very nice fellow.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #782 on: July 16, 2020, 12:55:38 AM »
Neil, he flew the nuclear mission because his airplane was outfitted with equipment and cameras from the previous mission... Fred Bock and crew flew his observer airplane that day.   When the 509th had their reunion at Wendover Fred was on the salt with us.  He liked our version of the nose art but let us know we were not the first car named Bockscar.  He and crew built a car from parts and it had Bockscar painted on it.   

Jerry, we have had nose art for the last 30 years... it has changed several times but it pretty much reflects info about the car and team... our new art has the B-29 Doc.... the newest flying museum and one of Wichita's more famous planes... we also have Wichita's Keeper of the Plains... no it's not Friday....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #783 on: July 18, 2020, 11:23:57 AM »
One of the things I needed to do in this car was restrain the turbo "hat" a little better to keep it from lifting under boost.  This is my solution... and I hope it fits under the engine cover... I'll know for sure when Ross comes over later, we will put the cover on. 
The left side was easy, no problems here.
The right side.... a few issues.  The upper engine mount bolt from the bike was too close to the top  to clear a bolt head... solution cut it off about 3/8" making it flush with the side of the motor.  Then there is the throttle... This is the side that might be a little close, had to move it out to go around. Ok, yes I know my aluminum welding needs more practice... If it fits it will secure the "hat" as required.
Also looking at ECU mounting.... still hoping to get that, still waiting, if it happens I will be ready, if not the old ECU wiring will run the motor.... so I guess we will see
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #784 on: July 18, 2020, 12:49:30 PM »
Looking good Bob....Nothing wrong w/ those welds..maybe scuff the surface with a stainless brush a bit more. Carry on
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #785 on: July 19, 2020, 10:30:55 AM »
And keep the tungsten out of the puddle  :-o  :?   :laugh:

OK the rear relay panel is ready for control wires... that is #8 feed for fuel pump, intercooler water pump, future requirements and parachute.  The parachute is wired to the battery and the control wire on the relay adds a ground to put power to the actuator.  The chute will fire whether the car is on or off as long as the battery is connected.

If anyone is using one of these GM door lock actuators and does not want to splice the wires in, I have the pins for the plug so you can run wires without splices.  Just let me know you need them.

Ross came over and we put the top cover on... it clears the new turbo hat hold down.  The hat will remove with 2 bolts and the 4 clamps on the rubber (OK Silicone) throttle body boots.  The 4 small fasteners on the hat can now stay in.

While we had the top on, we started looking at the seal for the firewall.... it is starting to look like a race car....
Stainless

Offline Tman

« Reply #786 on: July 20, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »
That new bodywork looks great!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #787 on: July 21, 2020, 01:09:58 AM »
There's still a lot of work to do in the next 2 weeks... the new wiring harness and ECU are sitll a couple of days out... the new front wheels are still a couple of days out... but I still have plenty to keep me busy 10-14 hours a day. 
Today was wiring the ECU power relay panel... going under the seat as well John... The years on the salt tell me put as many  sealed fuses and relays in as you can.  This panel is almost ready for the ECU and wiring... the plug to the power switch panel needs 4 wires from the new harness, then i can shrink all that stuff on the end.  I had that thing in and out a dozen times making sure things fit.  I did hook up the battery the last time it was in to ensure the switches clicked the relays. I just need the power wires from ECU harness to poke in those relays. Next up here is add a couple of tie down brackets to the ECU... My mockup is the same size +/- a few thou...here and there. 

Rechecked the alignment and reset the toe in... the wheel was not straight so I adjusted that a bit.

I checked my stock and I think I have a plug I might add to the shift solenoid wires. 

Like I said, plenty to do... probably won't get the dyno time I wanted so E85 or Methanol may be a future project.  The goal is get it to the salt for inspection and get it down the track...

Edit... forgot the plug from between ground and relay on the right goes to the inertia switch...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:13:51 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #788 on: July 21, 2020, 02:17:27 AM »
It looks to me like you have mounted that on top of the seat  :-D
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #789 on: July 21, 2020, 10:47:18 AM »
Yea... what was I thinking...  :roll: Oh now I know... that was the only clear horizontal space in the shop  :-o  :?  Not to worry, it hides under the car seat.   :wink:  Remember I said I had it in and out a dozen times... it is a tight fit and it will not go through 2 of the 3 spots I started with... I'm considering sending it to confined space training  :naughty
Sooner or later I will shoot a pic of it in the car...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #790 on: July 22, 2020, 10:19:53 AM »
Looks like sooner... had to put it in to see if it would come out with the ECU mounted... tight fit... but it will.  I think it will feel a bit confined once the outside panels are installed.

Bored some holes in the firewall for the connectors that will be showing up with the wire...

Started looking at the trailer and tow vehicles... Not sure which truck will be used... the Dodge air conditioner clutch is shorted... troubleshot and determined that was its issue.... called a couple of places since I don't think I have the time to fix it... 2 weeks out unless they have a 3 or lower rating...  :-(  I guess that is one of the hazards of fixing your own stuff... no go to mechanic... the air conditioning guys are backed up for some reason... maybe a 100 of them  :roll:
Will see if I can put a push bar on the Ford... It has tiedowns poking out the front... could be the spot.  Since it is a $3800 truck now I don't mind taking it to the salt.  :-o  :?
Stainless

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #791 on: July 22, 2020, 12:39:54 PM »
Stainless,

I didn't know that we are running "GREEN"........or is this piece of wood "ballast"...... :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #792 on: July 22, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »
No Pork Pie, every time I look at this car I sprout wood...  :roll: no telling where it will show up  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #793 on: July 22, 2020, 05:34:13 PM »
I ..saw...what you did there. :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #794 on: July 22, 2020, 08:53:19 PM »
Well it is certainly warm here today, but the show must go on... I put the Ford on the lift and took a look... it was fairly easy to pull the tie down off, on with 2 almost 1/2" bolts...
Knocked a couple of holes in a $12 harbor receiver and it bolted right up.... pulled out a couple of push bars to check if either would work
One measures 21-33" off the ground...
The other 11-25" off the ground.
I think the push bar was  21" on the old car... I guess we will see.

Oh Jerry, I see you saw  :cheers:
Stainless