Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464174 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #750 on: June 26, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »
Close... ignition, nitrous, gasoline.... or Johnboy is lessdicksick....   cromag  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #751 on: June 26, 2020, 05:15:01 PM »
Oh heck Bob...I figured that label was a leftover from the old car..back before ING changed their name to Voya.You just flip the switch and money shoots out all over the place. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: July 01, 2020, 01:16:35 AM »
For those that think I've been sitting on the couch, drinking beer and eating bon bons... you are partially right... I have been regularly drinking some excellent beers. Had a Founders backwoods bastard tonight.... nice barrel aged scotch ale... but that's no why you checked in.. I've been doing the small stuff that never ends...
I put the roll bar padding in the sun today, didn't help
I have the lateral supports in and added the sfi padding... well shit... I put the helmet in and it touched.... Well the 1 inch SFI pad was 1 1/8 and the velcro added another 1/8... calculations said 1 inch gives plenty of clearance.... No worries, I have other SFI pad and a bunch of ideas. 
I don't really like the open cell looking foam, it will erode with use... I'm thinking about covering it with Nomex cloth.  I have both in stock  :-o
No report on the tires and wheels yet...
I'm sure there's more to  follow
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #753 on: July 01, 2020, 03:30:08 AM »
Fitting the cockpit out means it is getting close - the good beers are definitely helping and a prescribe more of the same.

You mentioned the SFI padding (which seems just about as hard as the steel tube to me); if leaving it in the sun didn't help it curve, what did you do, or is it a case of a series of pie slices and then wrapping it for neatness?

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline floydjer

« Reply #754 on: July 01, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »
Founder's??...You do know that originates in the Grand River? :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #755 on: July 02, 2020, 12:38:14 AM »
Jerry, near the Rapids according to the label... love their porters, stouts, scotch ales... anything they age in a barrel... never had a bad one... lots of good ones... wish they came more than 4 at a time... they are rare here, but when I find them... yep... buy them
I think the last time we put on roll bar pad we used a heat gun.... might play with that... anyone have any tricks to share?
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #756 on: July 02, 2020, 04:14:01 PM »
3 words Bob....Belhaven Scottish Ale. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #757 on: July 02, 2020, 08:24:29 PM »
3 words Bob....Belhaven Scottish Ale. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

3 words Jerry.... I've had that...  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  OK three more... I liked it...
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #758 on: July 02, 2020, 09:18:55 PM »
Robert...Let me know if you need a bootlegger minister to keep the larder topped off. JB. Car looks great :clap

Offline Tman

« Reply #759 on: July 03, 2020, 04:19:19 PM »
I just came for the beer review. Car looks good too.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #760 on: July 06, 2020, 12:54:29 AM »
I just came for the beer review. Car looks good too.
Trent good to see you around.... so today I had Catherine III, a locally brewed barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout.. very tasty... luckily it's been here a while, they were shut down for a while making hand sanitizer... word is they are back in the beer business.

Oh, I have been working on the car... planning and updating the wiring drawings, building wiring for the steering wheel and eyebrow display... still need 1 amber light to finish the eyebrow. 
Also the exhaust pipe... It needed a few tweaks, cut it up, welded it back... ground off the old mount and made a new one.... don't look too close... I did reweld the old pipe  :?
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #761 on: July 07, 2020, 12:18:34 AM »
The last warning light for the Eyebrow panel finally showed up so I finished wiring the panel.  Have not cut the wire to  length yet.  Then I started installing it and the windshield... damn 1/2" screws are too short... broke out the 3/4 and those seem to be a bit long in spots... I'll try to grab some 5/8 tomorrow, then I can take a picture. 
Nomex cloth showed up today as well.  Linda is going to sew some covers for the SFI flat foam on the  lateral limiters and headrest. 
Ed Fenn at Fire System Research sent a couple of matching Fire buttons as well, they are in there now
Made a couple of brackets for the wiring.... nothing  worth a picture... I hope to take a pic from inside the cockpit tomorrow.
Maybe I'll get Ross to come over so we can raise the car to get the engine pan loose.  I need to rivet springs on a couple of Dzus tabs I added, maybe even paint the tabs and area.

But something  fresh out of the Grand River.... Get out your knife and fork folks and cut yourself a slice of of this one.... thick, rich and chewy... truly outstanding... not barrel aged, just a great imperial stout... and at only 10.5 ABV you won't have to walk anywhere if you drink 2...  :friday  ... yep, that's Linda's wine bottle hanger in the back...  :-o
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #762 on: July 07, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
Bob;

Back in '63 I was on leave in Berlin and went into East Berlin for a day. I found a restaurant, the "Bucharest", and had a Romanian beer with lunch. I have NO idea what the name of it was but it was 18% alcohol. You should have tried one of those!
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #763 on: July 08, 2020, 12:52:05 AM »
Ross came over, we lifted the car and removed the engine bottom panel.  I painted the  new Dzus tabs and they will be dry in the morning. 
Got the windshield put back in, the wiring for the eyebrow and the wiring routed in the canopy.   
Jumped in, closed the canopy ... there's the drivers eye view.  There are a shift light, oil warning, neutral, ECU warning and a GPS to help find my way back... or use as a speedometer...  :roll: Yes that was a USB outlet... might need to charge the phone during a run.  :?
Put a connector on the eyebrow and set up the mount next to the steering wheel.  So the steering wheel connector is on the right, the eyebrow on the left. 
Stainless

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #764 on: July 08, 2020, 06:09:31 AM »
Mmmmm . . . . .

Founder's Imperial Stout,    have had it,    like it.     If you nap after 2, does that make you a "cheap date"? ? ? ? ?

As the "midget" will tell you, my motto is:  "If it's not the color of used motor oil, it's probably not worth drinking . . . ."

YES, yes, yes, I've gone over to the "dark side", but all of you knew that already.

Nice progress on the 'liner, hoping it pays off on the salt.    Be there with you all in spirit, but rest assured, I'll be drinking at home.

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein