Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464151 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #735 on: June 19, 2020, 06:20:31 AM »
If they are plumbed in; would you mind taking some pics of the relative positions of the fire nozzles?
Curious minds and all that.

Do you have a target for the test firing of the new setup?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #736 on: June 19, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
I like it. Carry on. J.B.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #737 on: June 19, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »
John, hopefully you are asking about test firing the car and not the fire system... I hope to never find out if the fire system is effective, but it should be based on volume of agent vs volume of space . 
I need the ECU wiring which is in work at Engine Management Systems to fire up the motor... I hope to have the car on the dyno by mid July.  Yep, still plenty to do... got to smear some color on the white paint at some point.

Fire system... About 15.5 lbs of Halon... in the first pic the 10 lb on the left has one single nozzle in the drivers area and 2 multi hole nozzles in the motor compartment.  This is the first bottle to be used.  That silver cap on the bottle is the driver nozzle, the hose goes to hard line, through the firewall. 
On the right is the 5 lb drivers bottle with one nozzle.  You can see we welded up the top (and you can't see the bottom) nozzle.  That was recommended by Jim Diest based on volume of the car.  That bottle would be used if there was still fire to ensure the driver was protected the longest time.
The second picture is the engine compartment.  In the background on the firewall is one on the multi hole nozzles, the other is  attached to the bracket on the motor in the foreground.  The theory is the one on the firewall will fog the entire compartment, the other one is in the header and oil pan area, but will also fog the entire area. 
I also placed 2 fire doors on the right side of the engine, one front and one back as well as 1 door on the left side near the mid to back of the motor.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #738 on: June 20, 2020, 06:31:52 AM »
Thankyou. Great progress.

Yes; I meant test fire the engine  :-D

Which part of the driver anatomy will the single nozzle squirt or is it a mist? My chassis is all welded up (should be painted in the next week or two) and so I am starting to thinking about plumbing and wiring. Then I can start scraping paint off the chassis weld tabs all over it  :oops:
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #739 on: June 20, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »
It's a gas gas gas... I think that's how the song goes....  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #740 on: June 22, 2020, 02:12:11 PM »
Greg Peek sent me a pic last night that I should share.... but first a little about Greg... 200 MPH Club 1970 210.5 in the Peek Roadster, he took the roadster to Speedweek last year after restoration for the 50th anniversary as well as the roadsters appearance on the cover of Hot Rod... but didn't pass tech due to lower frame rail (also now considered roll cage) size.... he is working on that.  I think there is an issue with the roadster rules as well, it is well known that the Peek Roadster started life as a coupe.. back in the 70's it was legal to cut the top off a coupe and turn it into a roadster.

After Bonneville they went drag racing with it... 

Greg owns American Track Roadster, if you remember back a bit Rick Vesco got some new aluminum wheels... they have an ATR logo on them.... Greg built those... he will tell you he is not in the wheel business, one of his other companies, Seating Dynamics, makes wheelchair parts... that is what he does for a living.

I hope my ATR wheels get the chance to go half as fast as Ricks  :?  :wink:  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #741 on: June 23, 2020, 01:08:24 AM »
Today the wheels are assembled, sealed and torqued... ready for tires... that happens tomorrow afternoon...

I thought I had posted a picture of the canopy release triggers but I can't find it... I bring that up because I couldn't reach them very well with the seat installed.  So I had this cable pull idea, but it failed... the cable got pinched on the bar that latches the canopy.  The quick solution (2 days) was cut half the bar off and then add gussets.  That solved one problem but created another.... so I cut the triggers off and moved them inboard where they would not catch on anything and a cable attached to them would fall past the newly created slot.

So here are the new canopy triggers, moved 5/8 inboard from the original with cables to easily release the canopy. 

The metal plate on the canopy will be used to mount the GPS, shift light, oil pressure light and ECU generated warning light... Planning to set parameters that signal "if you can't see the 5 you should shut down and figure out why something is going wrong"  :roll:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #742 on: June 24, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »
Greg Peek had his tire guy come by to mount my LSR tires on the rims.... tire machine didn't like our wheel pattern, told Greg he needed to maybe drill a hole in the back of the wheel... I said no... I built an adapter for the tire machine last night.  Johnboy got here last night and will deliver it to Denver... No he didn't make the trip just to pick it up... it was planned...
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #743 on: June 26, 2020, 10:53:50 AM »
My shocks came back from Koni.... look just like new only different....  :roll:  needed a few parts and now they are good.  Started install and figured out that the snap rings that hold the spherical bearings in the ends were different and interfered with the spacing washers I made.... it took visits to 4 stores to find 16 snap rings. 

Johnboy brought some of the parts back from Denver, I will put some of the parts back on in a couple of days and take pics. 

We installed the cockpit switch panel after making the marked cutouts on the mill. 

We took part of the afternoon off after lunch yesterday and went over to visit Doc, the flying museum B-29 that now appears in our Bockscar nose art.  It seemed fitting since our car has always been named after another famous B-29.  They have a very nice hanger/museum with lots of development history as well as restoration history for the airplane.  We took a walk through the memorial/reflection Patriots Plaza to surprise Johnboy.  It is worth the visit if you are in Wichita or if Doc comes to an airshow near you.
https://www.b29doc.com/
Stainless

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #744 on: June 26, 2020, 11:02:28 AM »
Regarding your control panel, what's an "ING"?  cromag
Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #745 on: June 26, 2020, 11:31:15 AM »
And they call me the Spelling Nazi?  Nice work, Wayne. :clap :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #746 on: June 26, 2020, 11:59:35 AM »
Wayno

Ignition?
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #747 on: June 26, 2020, 12:12:07 PM »
No, the plate implies it'd be the "Ingition", and that doesn't fall trippingly from the tongue, does it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #748 on: June 26, 2020, 12:25:57 PM »
Looks great Bob...I had the pleasure of touring "Fifi" and watching her   rotate out at Gerald Ford...Air mauling monster she is. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline salt27

« Reply #749 on: June 26, 2020, 02:26:49 PM »
Wayno

It stands for "indigestion, nasty gas" in other words fresh air fan for helmet.   :cheers: