Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464142 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #705 on: May 29, 2020, 11:48:54 AM »
I know I am jumping ahead here but ... per rule 3.D.3 how will legs be restrained?

This is not some sort of fetish question but rather I am starting to noodle that for the Squeeze of Lemming and would like some ideas.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #706 on: May 29, 2020, 12:21:16 PM »
I used a window net.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline DallasV

« Reply #707 on: May 29, 2020, 02:53:37 PM »
I know I am jumping ahead here but ... per rule 3.D.3 how will legs be restrained?

This is not some sort of fetish question but rather I am starting to noodle that for the Squeeze of Lemming and would like some ideas.

I believe if there is no way for your legs to get outside the chassis in a tumble the chassis tubing can suffice as the leg restraint.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #708 on: May 29, 2020, 11:57:00 PM »
I don't think it will need any leg restraints.... although I am thinking about putting in a grab strap... to help any old people that get in the car get out...  :?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #709 on: May 30, 2020, 12:26:10 AM »
... to help any old people that get in the car get out..
Be glad you're not one of the "old people". I'm almost to the point of needing a lift-chair to exit the lakester. :-(
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #710 on: May 30, 2020, 09:14:13 AM »
Jack, we allowed kids of all ages to climb in the car... youngest so far about 2... oldest 93... most say they can't fit, but then they do, usually after I say I fit... younger ones always want the canopy closed, some of the older stop me before I get it all the way down. 
The new car feels roomier... I think because the canopy is larger because the roll bar is larger.  I'm going to have to install a lateral head restraint, something the old car had no need or room for. 
It will also be open for visitors...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #711 on: May 30, 2020, 11:35:21 PM »
A couple of posts back I mentioned we swapped the NA air box back in... it takes up a lot less room to line up a scoop.  While it was there, I decided to make the pieces to hold it in place.  So it is firmly mounted and will not move around. 
Ross was over to exercise his idea to build the NACA scoop transition duct.  He built it from foam, covered it with tape and slapped on a little fiberglass.  Actually looks like it will work.
I also mentioned I wanted to add a grab strap... I'm now thinking how it can be attached. 
Stainless

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #712 on: May 31, 2020, 12:40:37 AM »
You can enter/exit with the steering wheel in place?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline salt27

« Reply #713 on: May 31, 2020, 02:48:57 AM »
While Ross is in the glassing mode maybe should take a mold from your NACA duct.
OK probably not.    :wink:
It's looking good, crowded but good.   :cheers:

Don

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #714 on: May 31, 2020, 10:48:22 AM »
I'm not sure how your strap will work . . .

But years ago, I put a cross bar behind the steering wheel to aid in getting out of our roadster.  You'd take the steering wheel out and then struggle to move forward and up to get out.

This would solve the (not very big) problem!  After welding and painting and thinking good thoughts came the trial.  It seems that you'd have to be an Olympic gymnast in order to take advantage of it.  It's very hard to aid in pulling yourself up when the bar is slightly below your shoulders.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #715 on: May 31, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »
On modern dragsters, there is about a four inch long tube sticking straight forward off the front cage hoop, about half way up.  You lean forward, stick your chicken wing on it, and push/pull yourself out.  Your cage may be short enough that this will not work.

Also, I have seen little wedges on the floor with traction tape to keep your feet from slipping as you push yourself up.  Again, your cockpit might be small enough that your knees won't clear the cross bar.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #716 on: May 31, 2020, 12:17:17 PM »
I'm not sure how your strap will work . . .

But years ago, I put a cross bar behind the steering wheel to aid in getting out of our roadster.  You'd take the steering wheel out and then struggle to move forward and up to get out.

This would solve the (not very big) problem!  After welding and painting and thinking good thoughts came the trial.  It seems that you'd have to be an Olympic gymnast in order to take advantage of it.  It's very hard to aid in pulling yourself up when the bar is slightly below your shoulders.

You can enter/exit with the steering wheel in place?

Quick answers... the steering wheel comes off to enter and exit unless you are short legged, young and skinny like Jon Amo and Pork Pie....  OK 8 years ago Pork Pie was young...   :roll:

To exit the car you have to slide toward the front to clear the overhead roll structure.  You can pull yourself with the steering wheel, but elbow room is a premium.  One of the improvements in this car is I moved that front bar forward to make the cockpit a little longer....  it is a long way from by knee to my foot, and it was impossible to bend my knee enough in the narrow space to get the knee past that bar.  When I climb in and out now, I feel like a strap across there would make it easier to slide down.  I will clamp that strap in place, climb in and see if that really makes it easier or if it gets in the way.  Everything is an experiment it seems when you have a semi-clean slate to work with.

Don, we have a couple of ducts we made using our metal one as a mold... they are good, but the metal one has square corners and seems to grab and flow air better.... this is based on unmeasured data... just the way it feels
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #717 on: May 31, 2020, 01:48:28 PM »
Stainless said: "Don, we have a couple of ducts we made using our metal one as a mold... they are good, but the metal one has square corners and seems to grab and flow air better.... this is based on unmeasured data... just the way it feels"

One of the design criterion for a good NACA duct is that the edges be as sharp as possible, i.e. no radius. As a NACA duct uses the vortex(S) developed by the air going from the body surface and as if goes over the edge it develops a vortex on each side which is drawn into the inlet and as a vortex is high velocity, low pressure it pulls in additional air which makes the scoop work. So the sharper the edge the better.

Rex 
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline salt27

« Reply #718 on: May 31, 2020, 08:35:39 PM »
Don, we have a couple of ducts we made using our metal one as a mold... they are good, but the metal one has square corners and seems to grab and flow air better.... this is based on unmeasured data... just the way it feels

Learn something everyday, thanks.   :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #719 on: May 31, 2020, 11:51:59 PM »
Scoop placement is kinda committed.  Mounted and aligned, then marked rivet holes, the scoop hole and drilled to attach the scoop, I may wait till the hole is cut to mark the remaining mount holes.. 
Stainless