Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464134 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #690 on: May 23, 2020, 01:33:40 AM »
These pics are the body mount rail... Since I really need to use that right side motor mount... you can see it is kinda close... so up soon is trim it back a little.
Got the Halon plumbed.  But I think i will modify the spray holes for the engine, they are too big.  I will look at my stuff, it I don't have one that I like I'll plug the holes and redrill.  Pics of that later... it's late.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #691 on: May 23, 2020, 02:18:23 AM »
It's looking GOOD!
My fire systems are Firefox, who instruct racers to use the designated nozzles (driver or engine)- supposedly engineered specifically for each job. I would be hesitant to ignore that advice (by redrilling). Comments?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 02:20:23 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #692 on: May 23, 2020, 07:25:27 AM »
If your fire system is designed for your car it should be OK. The Bockscar is so small that the area to fill with the agent is much less than a full size car. If the nozzles are too large the extinguisher the bottle will empty faster than needed. We use 2 HALON bottles so we should size the nozzles to get longer fire suppression per recommendation of the manufacture.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #693 on: May 23, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »
Jack, contact them, discuss the volume of agent and the volume of your car... remember you will be in it.  For the motor side of the firewall, same thing.  Don Vesco had a volume valve in his bike liners... as did Max Lampky on Don's recommendation.  Those might not be SCTA legal these days...
Our system was designed by Jim Diest about 30 years ago.  But I remember the motor nozzles being the same size... but somewhere along the way one of them grew to larger nozzles when we modified locations to keep up with the rules.  I have nozzles in the "fitting box" to look at.
Stainless

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #694 on: May 24, 2020, 02:07:20 AM »
Yes, I would definitely need to talk to FireFox when considering any change of nozzle parameters- trial & error modifications are out of the question @ $300/bottle!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #695 on: May 25, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »
Jack... good plan... we are dispensing Halon gas not a liquid. We have over 15 lbs to cover approximately 48 cubic feet of space... before you add a driver, motor, water and fuel tanks.  All of our nozzles are quite small.  I welded the holes, like the ones in the blue one, closed and redrilled to nozzle less than half... or about the same area as one of the holes in the blue one.  "In a small area, you want the slowest release you can get to deprive the fire of oxygen as long as you can."  I put that in quotes, because that is what Jim Diest told us... I don't think that changed in the last 30 years.  Oh, those holes match the holes in all of our other nozzles. 

Other stuff...Johnboy is currently self quarantined in Kansas... he dropped by to see Greg Peek, (yes Peek Roadster 210.5 in 1970) at American Track Roadster to pick up one of the wheels he is making for us to test fit.  For my help with quickly sourcing (the Yard) and delivering the aluminum Rick and he used when he made wheels for the 500 MPH (so far) Turbinator he offered to make ours for the cost of the spun parts... at his leisure.  He's had parts mostly done for a while... still working on the Moon attachment portion for his and my wheels... so he assembled and sent one for a test fit... Yes there is a lot going on.. we are getting close to having the bottom pattern transferred to the new bottom. JohnBoy thought the motor mounts poking through the bottom with slots would weaken the panel that has a lot of material removed already so I am removing the material that sticks through. Not too worried that there is not enough support for the motor... the mounts unbolt without supporting the motor... guess the other 4  hold it OK  :?

Also one of the things I wanted was to have was the battery at the firewall... next best thing is  remote  terminals.  We always fought with the grommets that we used on the original to pass the battery cable through the firewall... these fix that.  Of course my belt and suspenders solution to the nut loosening from vibration over time was a safety wired lock nut.

More to follow  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #696 on: May 26, 2020, 01:36:32 AM »
Jerry... sit down... take a deep... El Kabong suffered a work related injury today... he can still handle 50% of his duties.... but he may be medically retired... or moved to a less stressful job.... don't know yet...

Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #697 on: May 26, 2020, 06:49:30 AM »
Singling me out again...And not a kitten to be seen.... :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #698 on: May 26, 2020, 10:22:44 AM »
We have Dachshunds to catch mice... our cat moved to town to lord over a friends house... no cat... so no kittens... unless someone drops another one in our ditch... and Linda feeds it.

Johnboy, Ross and I worked on the car yesterday... Johnboy and Ross doing the layout and modification of the engine bottom panel, me modifying the bottom motor mounts to make the penetration into the bottom panel smaller and adding a exhaust pipe support to one of them. 

After that, we started planning the scoop
Stainless

Offline TheHardOne

« Reply #699 on: May 26, 2020, 11:11:11 AM »
Always enjoy seeing the new updates on the progress of your car!  Looking good, helps keep me motivated to keep the ball rolling on our car too.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #700 on: May 26, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
Planning the scoop.....If I ever go back to drinking? That is what I shall call it too....Looks good Bob. Carry on.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #701 on: May 26, 2020, 12:04:08 PM »
Jerry... sit down... take a deep... El Kabong suffered a work related injury today... he can still handle 50% of his duties.... but he may be medically retired... or moved to a less stressful job.... don't know yet...

If one of your favorite dead blow hammers suffers a similar injury and you can't make a quick trip to Harbor Freight I've found that a little steel filler piece and a generous amount of Shoo Goo will get it back in service. Those hammers don't like being used to provide the propulsion for chisels and punches or beating on sharp edges.

Experience is a great teacher.  :clap :clap :clap

Pete

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #702 on: May 26, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
Peter. When you learn by experience the test comes first and the lesson comes after wards!

Stainless,
Looking at the protrusion of your engine oil pan below the body it pretty much dictates what your ride height will be. That will be a nice cover. Probably don't need to tell you but a nice NACA airfoil shape with a flat bottom would be my guess.

Looking good!!!!

Rex and Duke
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #703 on: May 27, 2020, 12:47:00 AM »
That NACA duct is a piece from a B52 aircraft. Not a copy. Was salvaged from a #2 strut that has the #3 and #4 engines on it. It was used for cabin air pressurization. The strut was changed out and the old one scrapped.  I was nice to have friends in low places :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #704 on: May 29, 2020, 11:40:58 AM »
The good news is El Kabong now resides on top of the digital readout on the mill... with the drawbar wrench... his cousin will assume shop duties as soon as I get out and stop at HF.  His industrial accident is under investigation... he may have been put in a hard position and forced to perform duties he was not certified for.
While that is going on so is a lot of other stuff. 

I have the master shutoff mount tacked in.  I really like the idea of a quick push off button on the "hood" of the lakester.  It will be easy to see, mark, find and is about 20 inches off the ground

Fire bottle actuator bracket is planned, made and ready to be mounted.

Still working the NACA scoop, put the NA box back on to give us more room to see and get it installed in the correct position.  The scoop transition duct was damaged in the accident so we are remaking it so this will take a little time to get it right.

I spent most of yesterday finalizing the wiring harness design, trying to get all the wires that go through the firewall in the connectors.
Stainless