Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464223 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #675 on: May 09, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
Stainless,
Thanks for the comment about Duke and me taking your I fuel lakeste record. We are sure trying to and hope to be a challenger this year but I don't have to tell you how hard it is to get a record. Looking forward to seeing you at the salt!!!!

Rex and Duke
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #676 on: May 14, 2020, 12:21:08 AM »
Beergineering takes time... figuring our what you need and getting it takes even longer.  Brown Santa has been showing up about every other day...  and I'm still waiting on stuff. 
But some fittings and PTFE stainless braided hose showed up today, so I finished a few things I was doing, then made a couple of fuel hoses.  The plan is to run E85 or Methanol in fuel class, so I'm building for any fuel.  Now the bottom of the tank area is done.  8AN out of the tank to the 100 micron stainless filter, then to the pump, the pickup is a bit lower than the bottom of the tank. Also got the 3/4 silicone hose routed out of the intercooler tank to the water pump.  The larger silicone hose is the engine water tank to engine driven water pump hose... was braided in the old car, but that stuff draws blood when it gets old.

As the second pic shows, things are starting to fill up... have at least 3 relays that go in that area, fuel pump, intercooler water pump and parachute. 

One thing I noticed is the drivers area is a little smaller... yes I may be getting larger, but one of the issues is 1 inch tube was used for floor and ceiling structures where the old car had 3/4... that means we lost 1/2 inch of inside height.  The old car clutch and brake pedals always tried to grab your feet when you scooted down to get out from under the roll bar.  I always threatened to cut them down so they would not hang so low.... well I shortened them about 2.5 to 3 inches... installed pics after paint...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #677 on: May 16, 2020, 12:33:50 AM »
Pedals in and ready to go.  Now all I have to do is figure out where to put the brake fluid between them and the clutch and brake cylinders  cromag

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #678 on: May 18, 2020, 01:21:23 AM »
Plumbing... yea I can do that...  aktion086... see...
Borrowed John Goodman's (ggl205) tube beader.... just needed to put a small raised area on the turbo pressure tubes. 
I figure you guys think I've been slow leaking but actually when brown Santa shows up he brings stuff I've already figured out.  So it's easy to show progress.
The tubing just needed a few saw cuts and a little beading.  Then I could mount the intercooler, run the water lines and hook up the turbo to the throttle bodies. 
Of course while I did that I've been figuring out where the brake fluid and Halon conduits should be.
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #679 on: May 18, 2020, 04:16:41 AM »
Great progress; there have not been enough build photos on the forum lately so thank you.

Its getting busy in there  8-)
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #680 on: May 18, 2020, 11:13:18 AM »
The Motec will not fire my coil on plug OEM system and I didn't want to do the Ignition Amplifier that I used with my old Motec.  There was also concern that the OEM would produce enough spark to light alcohol under 30 lbs of boost or N/A 15:1 compression... that's my upper limits at this time.
The solution is D585 Delco coils... basically Chevy LS coils with heat sinks. Now that the turbo system is all in, I can use the room left over to find a spot for them.
I stopped by ICT Billet to look at options for mounting remote coils. I ended up with a kit that I can mount them separately, in pairs or as a 4 pack... for $50 and I didn't have to make them. Currently in pairs, but we will see what I end up with based on mounting solutions.
I've also been continuing to work fuel system... Planning for methanol, E85 and gasoline.  There are very few materials compatible with all three.  All my lines are being reworked to PTFE (Teflon) and all the o-rings are being changed to fluorosilicone.  I used the extra threaded holes in the airbox mount to the fuel pressure regulator and the electrical regulator.  I think the MAP sensor might even hang out there...
Yes John, the world inside a small car is a busy place... seems like everything ends up in the same spot... especially around the motor. 
Hope the body fits after all this is in there....  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #681 on: May 19, 2020, 07:09:42 AM »
Stainless, will your fuel pump survive methanol or E-85?

John

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #682 on: May 19, 2020, 08:06:11 AM »
Beergineering....Must use that  :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #683 on: May 19, 2020, 09:52:09 AM »
Stainless, will your fuel pump survive methanol or E-85?

John

It says it will.... But I'll carry a spare

Got the Halon routed as far back as the firewall... had a bending issue on the other side and gave up about 10PM
Still working the plan for the brake and clutch but I found a place called Classic Tube that has a lot options including making exactly what I want, wherein lies the problem...  :?  :-o
More Beergineering required  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 09:54:01 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #684 on: May 21, 2020, 12:43:26 AM »
Well while thinking about who get what spot on the left side of the fixed firewall... ya know things like electrical, clutch, brake mechanical chute release... I decided to mount the coils in the area I was thinking about. 
Thought about the layout a little, drug the welder over and started.  Of course this is why ya don't race cars... til they are show cars... there's always something else to weld.
They are where they are...
Now gotta get working on clutch and brake... decision time...
pick a direction and go.  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #685 on: May 21, 2020, 10:54:00 AM »
Yea, I was drinking a beer and typing last night... why you don't powder coat race cars till you make them a show car.... Oh well... but it was a really good beer... Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout from Norton a local brewery. 
Onward... I didn't want to run an electrical shut off cable from the back end of the car to the front where the battery is... We have been looking for a better answer... and may have found one.  I have a cutoff that is a 1/16 inch push off, 1/8 turn back on.  We are looking at mounting it on top of the car behind the front axle.  Flush with the skin... Might be making our own button, waiting on a sketch from Pork Pie. 
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #686 on: May 21, 2020, 01:18:59 PM »
Parts must be going in without issue...El kabong  is nowhere to be seen. Carry on. :clap
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #687 on: May 22, 2020, 12:33:14 PM »
So far so good... haven't needed the hammer... but you never know...
There was a little concern that from the remote team that everything will fit under the body. So Ross came over to help me put the top on... yes concerned citizens he had the front I had the back so we kept our social distance...
Wow, I really need to put some stuff away and pick up some of the empty parts boxes  :?
I was trying to check clearance when Ross pulled out his phone and snapped a couple of pics of the trouble areas.  Close but not rubbing....  8-)
Oh but wait, there's more... that upper motor mount needs to be used to help secure the hat... survey says whack 3/8 of it off so there is room for a strap and bolt head... moron that later (hey it's Friday)
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #688 on: May 22, 2020, 02:46:23 PM »
Darn you and your pre- planning..That fits NICE..Have you posted overall dimensions?  Looks tiny. JB

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #689 on: May 22, 2020, 03:28:42 PM »
Some of the car was easy to plan. We had 35 years of planning on what we would do the same and what we would change if we ever built a new car. The frame is 24 inches wide and 16 inches tall, the same as the original car. Since the helmets have increased in size I think the roll cage is a 8 or 8.5
inch radius. Hopefully big enough to get everything it including a driver.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20