Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464074 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #660 on: April 22, 2020, 04:19:12 PM »
Running die grinder mounted on the tool post works great on high molecular weight plastics. Carry on.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #661 on: April 22, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »
My bandsaw hated the stuff, my .062 parting tool wandered a little, of course to part off 2 1/2 inches I might have had it stuck out a little too far.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #662 on: April 23, 2020, 05:15:08 AM »
The Bockscar ran in blown and unblown classes... this Bockscar will as well.... when we run blown we have a filter box that is fed by the NACA duct, the filtered air then goes to the turbo. 

I am just catching up with the (re)build; great progress. The sentence implies when you run n/a you don't connect the NACA to the filter box? Does n/a just breath the engine bay and environs air or does the filter box feed the ITBs / intake instead of the turbo?

Thanks
John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #663 on: April 23, 2020, 07:31:00 AM »
My bandsaw hated the stuff, my .062 parting tool wandered a little, of course to part off 2 1/2 inches I might have had it stuck out a little too far.
Table saw or radial arm work nice with a laminate blade. Fluffy white dust everywhere.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline TD

« Reply #664 on: April 23, 2020, 08:37:09 AM »
Thanks for sharing your story, it has been fun to read.  I've been making over my modest (wood) shop, it is nice to have a place to escape to and forget about the world for a while...

During a run it must be tricky to reach back past the engine to get to that coffee cup holder under the airbox?   lol8

Be well everybody
Tim

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #665 on: April 23, 2020, 12:25:33 PM »

I am just catching up with the (re)build; great progress. The sentence implies when you run n/a you don't connect the NACA to the filter box? Does n/a just breath the engine bay and environs air or does the filter box feed the ITBs / intake instead of the turbo?

Thanks
John

John, the NA airbox has its own filter so the filter box we use for turbo is not required... NA airbox connects direct to duct.  Review pics...
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #666 on: April 23, 2020, 02:17:03 PM »
Yup, reviewed pics, gotcha. Misinterpreted  :cheers:
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #667 on: April 29, 2020, 12:31:07 AM »
I'm still at it, haven't said shit and quit... Several things have been in work.  The tensioner was a bit of a challenge, until Ross (MC2032) came by to help.  I was bending a clamp to replace the aluminum top clamp but it was fighting back.  Ross and I fiddled and cussed for a bit... then he said why don't you weld the clamp on one side.  :clap  :clap  :clap
That was the idea that worked! I cut the threaded end off one end, welded a clamp strap and squirted it with paint. 
In the middle of all that, I have been drawing the electrical system and measuring lengths for the various plugs and sensor locations.   
Good thing I'm self isolating...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #668 on: April 29, 2020, 11:00:25 PM »
I made headway on the turbo filter/airbox mount now that the tensioner is not in the way.  But before I get too excited and start painting I plan to pull the turbo intake equipment off and throw the NA set up on.  With some luck... no skill involved here... I will be able to use the same piece for the support at the back of the NA airbox.  I have hope because the old one shared some of the same car side fasteners, with different mount adapters. 

And no.... still thinking on the left rear motor mount... that area is getting a little busy but there's still room

I've installed the seat metal, found some interference issues to work but had to climb in to look at placement possibilities for Tach, GPS, indicator lights, switches and fire bottle actuators.  It's almost roomy in there... relative to the original...
of course the next time I will have the firesuit on...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #669 on: May 06, 2020, 02:54:53 PM »
Around here when it rains it pours... actually hails.... Sunday morning we had a little hail, the insurance adjuster estimated up to 3 inch based on some of the strikes but mostly 1.5 - 2, about 14 strikes per square foot... looks like more on the trucks  :cry:
But the show must go on.... Got the airbox mount finished, almost completed the new rear motor mount.... when I stopped to turn the part I noticed some cooling fluid on the ground... took off the line cover and found a pin hole... so as you will see there is still a little welding left to do on that piece.  Airbox mounts with 4 bolts, think I can probably lift the car by that thing.  Added two 5/16 threaded holes to the top and the 1/4s used to hold the bottom of the airbox can be used to hold something on the other side as required.... think of it as building for the future...  Of course I have some uses in mind already.
But everything clears and that is the important part...
Started filling in the hoses and checking real estate... Kinda like the city... crowded it spots, open spaces in others... plenty of room for 20 lbs of nitrous...
Just kidding  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #670 on: May 06, 2020, 07:27:22 PM »
... plenty of room for 20 lbs of nitrous...
Just kidding  :cheers:

I don't know if any of our motors would survive more than 10 lbs cromag
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #671 on: May 07, 2020, 12:41:03 AM »
If the one in there now survives turbo, it's next job will be to take your record back from Rex....  :-o  :?  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #672 on: May 09, 2020, 12:23:21 AM »
Started working on the parachute release system, the electric is the easy part, the mechanical backup is a little harder... about halfway back I showed a cable holder I made to weld on a tube... It was supposed to be welded next... so... which one of you guys forgot to ask me if I got that piece welded on....  :x .... Yea, after an hour of looking for that little bugger I found it in a box. 
So when I get my welder back up and running I will clear off a little paint and weld it on... this is why  powder coat is a bad idea on a race car... I'm sure rustoleum will come off easier. 
Also building a bracket to mount the tach on the steering wheel.... the last couple of years it has been a mix of electrical tape and more electrical tape.  It kinda came loose during the incident and I don't think it works anymore.  So the replacement used to be on Ross's drag bike... found a new mount clamp on ebay... made some pieces and ... oh yea, the welder is down, parts maybe tomorrow. 
Pics maybe then too....
Stainless

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #673 on: May 09, 2020, 06:47:09 AM »
That tach was on the Sportster when it was a drag bike (see attached picture). I told Bob it was gently used and professionally maintained.  On a good day Harleys shake like a dog trying to pass a peach pit.  I hope it still works.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #674 on: May 09, 2020, 07:44:52 AM »
Ross, you should have posted that photo on Wendsday :friday
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20