Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464086 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #645 on: April 11, 2020, 01:27:10 PM »
Well here we are... I have a tensioner, I think it will work for the belt as well, we just have to get that far first.  No it is not completely done, but it is mostly done and the concept seems to work.  As the suspension moves it does not seem to change tension... that was the issue we had with the original, the problem I wanted to cure.   I intend to look at shortening and boxing the end... we will see.  I made the top movable and adjustable because the roller mount is wider than the little swingarm it is on... again also accommodating a future belt.
Time to continue assembly  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #646 on: April 11, 2020, 04:26:03 PM »
It looks good Stainless. Why is it that the things that seem so simple often turn out to be the most difficult to get right???  lol8

Pete

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #647 on: April 11, 2020, 04:35:45 PM »
Good work fella, nothing like a lock down to get those too hard basket jobs solved.

I had one of the Mornings Darks you left here, I could get to like that style, it was like Christmas pudding with beer...

No word from our friend in the VW, let's hope it stays that way and I can send you a care package by wire. :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:26:47 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #648 on: April 12, 2020, 02:59:50 PM »
Stainless,
Like the design of the tensioner, especially your adjustment screw with the spring. As the saying goes " Copying is the best complement" (or something like that) I am going out to see if I can do something similar with our car. If I can make it work I owe you a beer of your choice (or Irish whiskey).

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #649 on: April 12, 2020, 03:20:29 PM »
Rex, I believe what you're looking for is "Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery".  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #650 on: April 12, 2020, 04:09:53 PM »
Rex... or?  I was thinking and  :friday :friday
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #651 on: April 13, 2020, 12:25:08 AM »
Boxed the end of the little swingarm... just to be sure it is stiff enough.  Noticed the brace runs a little close to the chain... Then I looked at the wheel I was using from our old tensioner... It can't stand another trip to the lathe... I guess after 25 years it's a little worn... I think it is due for replacement, maybe back to the original 2.5 inch or a little larger, depending on what material we can find.  That will move the chain an additional 1/2 inch from the brace. 
The wheel for the belt is 70mm, about 2 3/4 inch) and the arm is designed for it to fit...
Started putting the tanks in... assembly continues....  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #652 on: April 13, 2020, 02:19:15 PM »
Stainless,
Going to be watching your belt installation. As a belt requires quite a bit of static tension do you plan to make some sort of outside support bearing configuration for the engine sprocket shaft? I know that Joe Amo has been your partner on the streamliner and he is or was an application engineer at Gates so you should have some good info on a belt application all of which I plan to "plagiarize" with your permission of course.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #653 on: April 14, 2020, 12:09:25 AM »
Rex, Jon Amo (brother Joe is a the fastest bike at Bonneville) hooked me up with a belt guy a couple of years ago when we started talking about doing a belt drive.  I have printed drive and driven sprockets and a belt I played with a couple of years ago.  The way I had it worked out, the drive was almost in the center of the sprocket so I did not need an outer support.  We planned to use a 2 inch belt.  Of course the engineer thought that there would be too much torque in the lower gears... I told him not to worry about that, too much power application causes the wheels to break loose.  The trick was finding a heavy duty spring to keep the belt tensioned with suspension movement. 
That was then... the design of engine placement, the new rear suspension and tensioner does not vary position as much as the original.  I think keeping the tensioner close to the drive sprocket and near the pivot will make the tensioner's job easier. But of course that is speculation until I do it.  The chain will help me prove I am close or need to re-design.  It would be easier if I was smarter...  :-o  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #654 on: April 14, 2020, 08:45:41 AM »
Mr. Bob, do you have any plans for running at the Ark Mile or ElMo with this car?  Just curious.  Blytheville is probably about the same distance as Wendover for you.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #655 on: April 14, 2020, 11:44:00 AM »
Justin, the quick answer is no... Blytheville (Blavell... lived there 73-80) is 500 miles away Wendover 1200... but if you look back at the pic of the rear axle (post 640) you will see the brake.... The car slows with a parachute, not the brakes... No way or plan to add more brakes...
We talked for years about going to El Mirage... until I lived in Lancaster (93) and attended a couple of meets... no way we could filter that much dirt...  Our intake on the side of the car picks up a couple of tablespoons of salt which is easily filtered out... the talc at Elmo is ever present and hard to filter, so I don't see that in our cards either....
We are a Bonneville car until someone builds an 8 mile by 100 ft wide paved track  :wink:  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 11:47:17 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #656 on: April 14, 2020, 11:51:39 AM »
Nothing wrong with that plan.  I forgot about the front brakes.  You aren't as close to Bonneville as I was thinking.  I am in North Central Iowa, and about 1270 miles out.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #657 on: April 18, 2020, 12:07:52 PM »
Going together slowly... There are areas that I am seeing with new eyes... and changing as required.
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #658 on: April 18, 2020, 11:35:05 PM »
The Bockscar ran in blown and unblown classes... this Bockscar will as well.... when we run blown we have a filter box that is fed by the NACA duct, the filtered air then goes to the turbo.  Well I roughly figured out what  I needed during the initial build... When I made all of this I used the NA set up because that one is basically fixed in how and where it mounts. now comes the fine tune.  First off one of the rear motor mounts interferes with the tube from the duct connection to the box.  I trimmed the mount a little to clear the tube, but no joy... so I will have to make a bit of a convoluted mount since the center of the tube and the mount just about line up.   So a little work will be required to set up the blown system.
Here's a couple of pics of what I am working on to make everybody play together nicely.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #659 on: April 22, 2020, 02:14:33 PM »
I need to listen to more Rock n Roll.... why... I'm obviously listening to too much country.... why...
It seems I am doing the two step with the car... ya know, two steps forward, one step back.  Looking back at  the last couple of posts I have 2 things occupying the same space... the tensioner and the tube for the intake.... So the tensioner aluminum top clamp will need to be form fitting steel...
I did get the new chain tensioner wheel made... about 2.5 inches diameter from a 3 inch piece labeled "polypro" that Mountain States Automation donated to the cause.  The old one was Nylatron, this one is UHMWP.  Cut it on the lathe using a Johnboy supplied freshly sharpened 3/4 end mill in my boring bar holder.  Lots of stringy stuff but it worked.  With any luck it will last as long as the last one.
Stainless