Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464186 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #615 on: February 14, 2020, 01:36:48 AM »
Sounds fair to me!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #616 on: February 16, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »
I got the frame primered... talk about a pain in the ass... while the calculations say there is about 200 feet of tubing and that sounds like it can't be that hard to squirt a little paint on... it actually is.  Of course the media blast guy said there was a lot of work to blast it....
so until I wiped it clean... that took a day.... and then started putting primer on it, a day and a half, I didn't really appreciate how big a pain it was.  Did I mention it is all tight spaces...
I did it top up... and then I rolled it 90 to see how I did on the bottom.  I must say that painting the bottom didn't seem that tough... until I spent a half a day painting the spots I missed... amazing how much I missed  :?
Yes I wore a respirator
Yes I had clean air coming in and overspray laden air being sucked out. 
Yes I put a filter on the outgoing, didn't want the room covered in dry overspray, that's why I built the booth.
The car is still on its side, tomorrow I will start spraying black... just as well spray all the bottom stuff first
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #617 on: February 16, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »
A long time ago I helped a friend build a space framed sports racing car. When we finished welding the frame up and putting on all the brackets we sandblasted the frame outside and then spray painted it with highway yellow anti rust paint using spray bombs, again, outside. When the frame was finished it was a really nice bright yellow as were both the painters!  :-D :-D :-D

We've become a lot more conscious of safety since those early (fun) days.  :-D :-D :-D

It's a wonder we ever survived them!

Pete

Offline ROKTSHP

• New folks
« Reply #618 on: February 16, 2020, 09:15:32 PM »
The car is looking great!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #619 on: February 16, 2020, 09:58:57 PM »
A long time ago I helped a friend build a space framed sports racing car. When we finished welding the frame up and putting on all the brackets we sandblasted the frame outside and then spray painted it with highway yellow anti rust paint using spray bombs, again, outside. When the frame was finished it was a really nice bright yellow as were both the painters!  :-D :-D :-D

We've become a lot more conscious of safety since those early (fun) days.  :-D :-D :-D

It's a wonder we ever survived them!

Pete

Yep, a lot of the dumbshit stuff I did didn't kill me, but the older I get the more I want to get older... so no use in doing something too stupid...
breathing is not overrated  :naughty  :cheers:

Thanks Jeremy... you guys need to drop by for the helmet and a beer sometime.

Stainless

Offline Marcroux

« Reply #620 on: February 17, 2020, 12:47:14 AM »
I personally would not paint it black! The black color helps hide cracks! Which is a bad thing on a racer. There is a reason aircraft tubing is painted a light color.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #621 on: February 19, 2020, 11:29:19 AM »
Stainless, here is how I painted my chassis. I trailered my chassis into town and had a commercial sand blaster "white blast" the chassis. Back at home I loaded the chassis on to two saw horses outside my shop and spread an old tarp on the ground. Since we had about 9% humidity I did not worry about the steel rusting on the way home.

The primer was a 2-part zinc chromate epoxy that I bought from Aircraft Spruce. I used a $9.99 on- sale Harbor Freight spray gun to shoot the primer and after it cured rotated the chassis and sprayed primer on the remainder of the tubing. Next I sprayed on a top coat using some neat USAF surplus aerospace 2-part polyurethane. Rotated it as before and finally threw away the tarp and el-cheapo spray gun. Since the chassis had been sand blasted the paint finish turned out to be a rather "eggshell" finish rather than glossy.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #622 on: February 19, 2020, 08:12:10 PM »
Well it is not painting weather here... I got it into the blaster and had a one day turn... it had not rained or snowed here in 4 days so the road was not muddy and only slightly dusty... it snowed the evening after I got it home.  The shop was 70 degrees, the outside fluctuated between 17 and 50... The days that had a 50, I opened up the shop and exchanged the air a little to keep Linda from complaining too much about the stink seeping into her shop from mine.
Rustoleum Etching Primer was the greenish stuff, Rustoleum Satin Black is the top coat... If I missed a spot, it will repaint easily...
If there is any problem under the paint... it will bleed orange and draw my attention to look. 
Ross says he wants to polish the chute tube end... so I didn't paint that part...
It's black... and getting about 40 hours to cure before it comes out of the booth... then going to start putting the same paint on the small parts...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:34:21 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Online Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #623 on: February 19, 2020, 08:30:03 PM »
The frame looks very nice
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline protype

• New folks
« Reply #624 on: February 20, 2020, 09:36:57 PM »
Have you used the Rustolium self etching primer before and if so what is your experience?  Nice frame!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #625 on: February 21, 2020, 12:16:52 AM »
Have you used the Rustolium self etching primer before and if so what is your experience?  Nice frame!

Not that I remember.... but it seemed to work well... ask me again after August  :roll:
I am not a painter... but I can tell ya it ain't easy... lots of opportunities to think you are about to paint an area and catch the edge of another tube along the way.  The box is 16 x 24 inches... with about 200 ft of tube in 20 ft. 
So if it stays on then I like it...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #626 on: February 27, 2020, 03:36:16 PM »
Also painting some of the manufactured parts... about ready to take the booth down... those parts are now black... well mostly  :-o
While I watched paint dry I spent a bit of time with the brake... it was a little stuck from sitting a couple of years... found a little salt residue under the rubber seal... 125 PSI air pushed one piston out... the other wouldn't budge.  So I attached it to the brake master after reassembly and sprayed brake fluid everywhere... evidently the wreck put a hole in the flex line.... luckily found a 10mm banjo in the fittings box and used a piece of 4AN line I had... but of course the fitting on the master was 3... found a fitting for that end and one push knocked the other piston out.  Then came the hard part... what was that from so I could buy a rebuild kit.... lots of research and consultation and Johnboy found it was a 1980 Kawasaki... Imagine our surprise since it says 1 11/16 on the outside... not 43mm.... parts are on order... pistons, seals, dust covers
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #627 on: February 27, 2020, 04:04:35 PM »
Uh......I might have rigged up a zerk fitting to the caliper and used a grease gun to press the piston out.  Like the paint...Carry on. cromag
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Online Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #628 on: February 27, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »
Did you order the kit with the SS pistons :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: February 28, 2020, 12:19:46 PM »
Did you order the kit with the SS pistons :cheers:

Nope.... I ordered the only one I could find on the interweb...  it says oem pistons... those seemed to do ok for 40 years... hope to get the same from these
Stainless