Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464168 times)

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #600 on: January 10, 2020, 08:51:31 PM »
Brilliant.  That looks wonderful. Will not be able to attend SW2020 but if the stars align and etc hope to see it in person in 2021.
John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #601 on: February 06, 2020, 09:51:40 PM »
I know y'all think I must have given up... but actually I built an attached 320 sq ft storage area on my shop, mostly for Linda's glass stuff... it was clogging my shop a bit, and the lawn equipment.  Been moving stuff around to clean up and make a bit more space to work. 
Part of the issue was where do I put all the new body panels while I get back to building the car... So I actually have been doing some car work...  :roll:
built some portable PVC racks for the body panels... they can stand on the floor (salt) or hang on the shop wall.  The bottom panels also needed a PVC rack.
After that, I had to build a mezzanine to store be larger pieces like the nose, engine cover, canopy and rear bottom panel. 
That sounds like a lot of stuff for one measly picture... but what you see is what you get.... been really busy but its hard to tell
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #602 on: February 06, 2020, 10:19:51 PM »
 Looking good :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #603 on: February 06, 2020, 10:58:25 PM »
GREAT ORGANIZATION , sorting stuff out , always a challenge ..   STEVE

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #604 on: February 07, 2020, 12:32:34 AM »
I feel... inadequate... :-(
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #605 on: February 07, 2020, 04:10:12 AM »
If I provided board and lodging could you come to the UK and sort me out please. Looks great.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #606 on: February 07, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »
Obviously y'all have not been to my shop... my goal was clear enough space to store the car body panels... I took that pic carefully to not show the mess of the rest of the shop now that I cleared a corner.  That area was piled with glass, motorcycle parts and glass molds... I'm usually working to make sure when I take pics they don't show the real story...
these were taken before I got the rack built to store the engine cover  :?  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #607 on: February 07, 2020, 03:02:04 PM »
New body looks amazing Stainless, you're not going to let Johnboy drive it are you?? :-
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #608 on: February 12, 2020, 10:38:52 PM »
New body looks amazing Stainless, you're not going to let Johnboy drive it are you?? :-

Hummmmm  :?

I am not stalled... Over the weekend I finished closing up the tubes... cut some circles and welded them in the ends, found the spots that I had drilled vent holes and welded them closed... added a couple of Dzus springs behind the open holes in the nose...
 the frame went to get media blasted at Kansas Dry Strip Monday and came back the next day.  With airplane production here at almost zero, they were not as busy as their usual 10 day turn. 
While it was gone I started constructing a paint booth to paint the frame... trying to keep the remainder of the shop from being primer and Rustoleum satin black.  I put it in the warm area so I can keep going.  Ross (MC2032) dropped by to help so putting up the plastic was easier. 
It snowed here today, but only about 3 inches... glad the frame came back yesterday   
Oh, I mentioned earlier I built some storage...here is the filled 10x32
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #609 on: February 13, 2020, 06:53:24 AM »
Brilliant progress; SpeedWeek 2020 here you come?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #610 on: February 13, 2020, 08:42:34 AM »
The floor will get painted as well.  I've tried plastic on the floor, but my feet started sticking to and lifting the plastic, so if you put plastic on the floor, make sure you tape it down on the edges.  I've also found that I needed about a zillion lights to be able to see inside, above, and under all the tubes.  And then you take it out into the light and see what you've missed!
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #611 on: February 13, 2020, 09:25:38 AM »
Stainless, you can always run a little water to cover the floor. Keeps dust down and paint from sticking to the floor.

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #612 on: February 13, 2020, 10:05:02 AM »
Whats wrong with a satin black floor (or walls for that matter) - you could re-purpose the space as a night club then.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #613 on: February 13, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »
Stainless, I used to like black or dark coloured frames when I was building and preparing road race and oval track cars. That was very early on and I quickly discovered that the dark colours made it very difficult to see any damage and also made the interior dark and uninviting. When I switched to lighter colours it became much more pleasant to work inside the cockpit for both driving and maintenance. It also made the vehicle look more attractive from outside.

This is just my own somewhat humble opinion but I do feel it's worth expressing for your consideration.  :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: February 13, 2020, 11:15:52 PM »
PJ, if you see any of our frame from the outside, we could be in trouble...  :oops:
and that harder to see thing is why I picked black... have you seen my welds?  :?
The old car had the canopy painted red on the inside... it was kinda of like painting a bathroom red... made you drive faster because you wanted to get out of there...
 :cheers:
Stainless