Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464144 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #525 on: May 06, 2019, 11:34:46 AM »
The short answer is yes... probably...
We carried about 200 lbs, 80 up front, 60 on each side just behind the rear tires
This frame is definitely heavier... and quite frankly the run I went 246 made me start planning a new car... we knew too much about the old frame... yes, when Johnboy crashed it a couple of years ago it did remarkably well.  His crash was about 190 MPH... the frame twisted about 1/4 inch... based on the J bend in the 1/4 wall chromoly axle and Johnboy's complaining about how much he was hurting afterward... it crashed pretty hard.  Our fear was after 40 years since it's appearance on the salt the frame might be suffering a little cancer.  In the early days the frame was also part of the cooling system... after that the body was riveted to the frame in spots and we had a lot of unsealed tubes with bolt holes... so there was plenty of opportunity...  but it all stayed together and did its job
I expect this car to weigh a more without any ballast.  I won't know how much till it is on the scales.

The car has had a variety of motors... of the current record holders... the J motor, Kawasaki ZX-7... the I motors, Kawasaki ZX-10, Suzuki GSXR 1000 and Busa... H motors, Kawasaki ZX-11 and Suzuki Busa... the G motor, Suzuki Busa...
But we did not discriminate... it also had a Honda 750 Interceptor motor originally that held multiple records

I was asked the other day if I thought this one would be faster than the old one... I just hope it is as fast  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #526 on: May 07, 2019, 11:07:23 AM »
Been working on new front wheels with Terry Mourer (Podunk) for the car... for those of you unfamiliar
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,12122.0.html

We are working toward tubeless tire wheels, spindle mount, for the small aircraft tires we use.  I sent some pics to Terry yesterday during our conversations that might have the effect of dragging him kicking and screaming toward a smartphone... but back to the Bockscar...

Terry carved out a profile for us to discuss... because it is hard to tell from a drawing what it will actually look like on the spindle when everything is really close...

I see wheels in our future...
Stainless

Offline Podunk

« Reply #527 on: May 07, 2019, 07:47:59 PM »
Sorry Stainless the last thinge I need is somthinge ellese that's smartter than me. All thou I realaty lice spill cheddar.
Podunk

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #528 on: May 07, 2019, 08:10:27 PM »
Yeah, Terry, even though you type like you're from Kansas we still love you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #529 on: May 07, 2019, 10:47:26 PM »
Popped in the lap belt mounts.... had to slightly modify a 1/4 inch bracket I bought... was made for 1.5 tube, so it was a small trim with a hole saw to fit 1.625.... toughest part was holding it in the vice..

Also fitted some tubes to weld in the rear to add a little strength and more support for the parachute.  I'll weld those after the car is turned around....

Yes, you do remember I planned to change the electrical to be able to use my new extension cord for the welder... and I spent a little time on that... it seems the dumbass electrician that installed the welder receptacle did it in such a way that it is very hard to switch plugs...  :x  OK, the guy that built my shop was also the electrician.... OK that guy is the one I see anytime I use a mirror...  :|  Same guy also remembered that my emergency generator plugs into the welder receptacle to power the house when the lines out here fail.... yes I do disconnect from the grid when I do that.
I have a plan.... again....  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #530 on: May 07, 2019, 11:45:40 PM »
I make 18 inch adapter cords to get around those obstacles using a male plug that fits the outlet and a female plug that fits the welder. I can go into a stove plug or a dryer plug. You just have to watch how much amperage you draw.

Pete

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #531 on: May 08, 2019, 12:53:31 AM »
It is hard on the welder to use it when plugged into remote outlets or extension cords.  A low line voltage is compensated for by higher amperage to produce the energy for the weld.  The bigger amps can damage the welder.  Recent experience showed me this when the circuit board fried when my welder was plugged into a remote outlet with low line voltage.     

Offline bob

• Sierraville, CA
« Reply #532 on: May 08, 2019, 12:53:50 AM »
couple of posts back you mentioned small aircraft tires you were using, if you don't mind , what exactly are you using  ?  this build is a joy to watch , all the small details , no doubt,  from a few years of a learning curve , great stuff.  

Offline tauruck

« Reply #533 on: May 08, 2019, 01:54:06 AM »
It is hard on the welder to use it when plugged into remote outlets or extension cords.  A low line voltage is compensated for by higher amperage to produce the energy for the weld.  The bigger amps can damage the welder.  Recent experience showed me this when the circuit board fried when my welder was plugged into a remote outlet with low line voltage.     

That was the first advice I got from Guido when I bought my welding machine. Beware of extension cords.

Online salt27

« Reply #534 on: May 08, 2019, 03:25:24 AM »

That was the first advice I got from Guido when I bought my welding machine. Beware of extension cords.

A remote outlet needs to have the conductors sized properly to prevent excessive voltage drop, likewise on extension cords.

Typically you don't want to exceed 3% voltage drop.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #535 on: May 08, 2019, 06:44:23 AM »
  Same guy also remembered that my emergency generator plugs into the welder receptacle to power the house when the lines out here fail.... yes I do disconnect from the grid when I do that.

Anyone doing this by using the main breaker should be very careful and double check that power isn't going back out into the gridwhere it could seriously injure those working to restore power.  Main breakers have been known to fail, that's why a proper transfer switch is specified under code for such use.  A LSR buddy bought an old house to rehab, flipped the main to do some electrical work only to discover he was working on live circuits......

Ed

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #536 on: May 08, 2019, 07:43:58 AM »
In re:  House generator.  I  had the electricians do the job of installing the isolator switch for our generator.  It's a mechanical interlock (yeah, manual) that makes it impossible to have the gen. hooked to the commercial mains.  I wanted to make sure the local Co-op didn't get zapped and having a licensed dude do the work made me feel better.

Too often over the years I've worked on household projects without disconnecting power.  Did I ever tell you about the time I managed to dead-short both sides of the 220 line -- and I was on the north side of the fuses? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #537 on: May 08, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »
RR et al.
I pop the main breaker and the disconnect at the meter...

another Bob.... for the last 25 years or so we have used 18 x 4.4  type 7 aircraft tires on the front of the lakester.... These tires are speed rated at 249 MPH and if you look around, somewhere on this site there is a video of shaving them.  We ran one of them for about 15 years with the top layer of "wear fabric" showing... I carry a section showing the 1/2 inch thick tire left as well as a 1/2 inch steel cable in the bead.  The tire is allowed use with multiple layers of the fabric showing on an airplane.  We had one ripped by a piece of rebar sticking out of the salt several years ago... it pulled rubber off of one side and with oversight by tech, we trimmed that side of the tire off, and ran the tire at multiple test speeds from 175 to 225 MPH... that was enough to set a 218 MPH record so that is where we stopped....
I also have 20 x 4.4 type 7 for the rear... but I only use those for speeds anticipated under 210 MPH... although we have run those to 230.5 MPH... their speed ratings vary from 210 to 230 MPH
Stainless

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #538 on: May 08, 2019, 01:07:21 PM »
RR et al.
I pop the main breaker and the disconnect at the meter...

Thanks for the details!  I can relax more better now, as you were  :cheers:

Ed

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #539 on: May 08, 2019, 02:53:57 PM »
Quasi-related....Way back when I was a young Floydian I worked in a structural fab. shop. The wiring on the plug end of a welder got yanked out  and one of my co-workers replaced it. After he finished, I re-connected the machine to the 3 phase 480 volt outlet. He did not understand wiring quite as well as some of we others did. Loudest pop I had heard up to that point. After correcting Frank`s error I decided to check the fuse, just knowing it was toast. Shut off the box..pulled the fuse...Un-screwed the end and out fell a length of 3/8 hot rolled round stock. :-o :-o :-o   End of hijack...Looking good Bob.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.