Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464224 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #510 on: April 03, 2019, 01:06:33 AM »
Looking great Bob.👍👍👍

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #511 on: April 11, 2019, 11:24:46 PM »
Haven't posted lately.... so here is some of the stuff I've been working on.  Have the shifter squared away, figured out where everything for it will go. 
I rerouted the cooling water hose to not run under the chain like it did with the original. 
Yes that's a chain... it is easier to work everything with the chain first.... then I will look at doing the belt if I have time.  Right now I will be impressed if I'm ready in August  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #512 on: April 11, 2019, 11:28:18 PM »
And the updated shift cylinder.... with an actual mount
Stainless

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2019, 01:37:31 AM »
Stainless, you're making amazing progress. Good job!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I'm enjoying your thorough documentation.

Pete

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2019, 08:37:03 AM »
^^^ Me too
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #515 on: April 14, 2019, 12:12:11 AM »
Thanks guys... it is a build diary after all  :cheers:

So along with all the little other things going on with the car (like tab making) we are actually thinking about putting a body on it...  :roll:  Pork Pie has been doing a little drawing work in CATIA and from that he developed step data... something we can use to CNC mill foam for nose, top and canopy building.  Johnboy has a guy at his work that can take that and pop out a PDF... So we are looking at what we need for body...  Of course Pork Pie is in Germany, Johnboy in Colorado and I'm in Kansas so the process is almost seamless  :roll:  
Based on a bunch of pictures of the old car, Pork Pie drew this up for the new one... produced data... it was converted to PDF and on page 2 we have a couple of slices of the cross section.  Then my frequent helper Ross (MC2032) printed out the cross sections full size, mounted them on 1/8 inch plywood and cut them out.  The plan was to see if the body would fit over the cage and engine.  
As it turns out, AA is about 7 inches behind the front of the cage, BB is ahead of the Engine and CC is over the engine.  
As it turned out, AA did not quite fit over the cage, BB fit the cage fine, but was a little short so it needed to be cut to 1/8 past the red line.  CC is too large... we will not need that much room around the engine.
Pork Pie will be adjusting and we will make some more templates to ensure they clear everything.  
If none of this makes sense... I've had a few so  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:19:44 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #516 on: April 16, 2019, 09:58:34 AM »
We've been working on top and canopy shape as well as everything else that needs to be done.  Thinking about how I'm doing the lower firewall... want to make it removable, but also well sealed...

Got the hinge for the canopy tacked in... cant reach that end of the car with the TIG, so tack was done with the MIG... it seems to be really good for tacks.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #517 on: April 22, 2019, 11:43:41 PM »
Well it is time for another perspective....  :cheers:
We cut the car loose from the build table and gave it a 90 degree flip, did a little of the welding that was too "out of position" for me.  Flipped it  to the opposite side for a little more welding... Next I have a ton of clean up in the big shop so I can roll the table outside, rotate it 180 and push it back in to finish the welding around the nose.
Almost done with the table.... anyone need a 29 inch by 25 ft build table....
As soon as the welding is done the car will be on the cart to get the suspension back in
Then it is time to head to the Gym.... for a little body building  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2019, 10:17:41 PM »
I spent a little time today cleaning the shops and making a path to roll the car out.  Ross (MC2032) dropped by for a beer so we pushed it out of the small shop, through the big shop to outside, turned it around and put it back in the small shop... the nose by the welder.  Have a few welds to finish... then a few Dzus tabs that are just tacked to weld.
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: May 01, 2019, 12:02:13 AM »
I think I have all the unfinished welds done... of course every time I think that, I find another one  :|

You notice I said unfinished... because I have a little more structure to add near the tail.... as suggested by our structural engineer... just to tie the upper and lower rails together with more than the chute tube. 
Then it will be back to the firewall rev 2.... or is that 3.... maybe 4

I did not like the way the steering fit with the slower'er so I added a u-joint and it slides and fits a lot better.  Well yes that looks a little odd, the car is on its side... I'll flip it back over tomorrow... with any luck it will get all that out of its system  8-)
Don't worry, there is still plenty to keep me busy and off the streets  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #520 on: May 02, 2019, 06:13:42 PM »
Finished the steering pieces, Still need to flip the car, to the other side to make sure everything is welded...
In the mean time my change 2 or so to the firewall is starting to look like I want it to.  I made the sides wider so penetrations would only go thru one layer and they will stay fixed in place if the firewall is removed.  It is not ready to weld in yet, have to put the bolt holes in... that will all be easier before it is installed forever...
Stainless

Offline tauruck

« Reply #521 on: May 02, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »
Looking great Bob. You've been busy man. Awesome progress. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: May 03, 2019, 10:40:51 PM »
Finished the push bar... Ross (MC2032) had a couple of wheelie bar wheels from his old drag bike he contributed to the cause... they were a little thick, but the lathe fixed that issue.  They appear to be tougher than the inline skate wheels we used in the past.   

Yes, still working on the firewall.... thinking about using 1/4 inch bolts to hold the removable section to the weld in frame I made yesterday.  Drilling before welding... it will be easier
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: May 05, 2019, 09:18:05 PM »
Alrighty.... marked and drilled holes for a center firewall, put it all together
The sides where electrical and hydraulics will pass through are fixed.... the center will remove for access if required. 
Decided to go ahead, line everything up and keep moving... been getting the welding caught up, I think everything forward of the firewall including the firewall is now welded.

I'll try to get the car swapped end for end to finish up the rear....
Or I will change the welder plug and receptacle so I can use the 125A extension cord I picked up  at the welding shop the other day.  If I do that, I can move the welder to the other end instead of moving the other end to the welder... long term, I think it might be a better use of my time.                                       
Stainless

Offline sabat

« Reply #524 on: May 06, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »
I'm sorry if you've posted this before, but do you think the 2.0 will be heavier than before? Did you have ballast on the last one?

It still amazes me that the Busa motor can push that much material so fast.