Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464095 times)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #465 on: January 13, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
Is that CNC gas pedal the hydraulic one?.

All looking good Stainless.👍👍👍👍

It is the Morse cable gas pedal 

Johnboy
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #466 on: January 14, 2019, 07:42:12 AM »
On the chute webbing - is the yellow one elastic which is why it slingshots?
Assuming the pilot chute is sprung is there sufficient tension to 'hold it in' or is there a cover (triangular handkerchief) to be incorporated?

The grey rod under the assembly that bounces after release - is that part of the mechanism or just an innocent bystander?

Many thanks - this whole parachute thing is new to me and a long way in my future. Trying to understand as much as I can in advance but then again my brain will only hold so much at a time (i.e. not a lot). As a result I have reams of notes, drawings and references.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #467 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:03 AM »
The parachute has a spring loaded pilot... the yellow part of the retainer/releaser is made from flat bungee cord.  I will load the chute to make it more clear.  If you look back a little you will see the electric release (with mechanical backup) so you see how it is done.   
I had to watch it several times to figure out the grey rod thing.... it is the water tank rubber overflow vent tube... innocent bystander... and the clips that hold the retainers will not swing either, they will be fixed when the bolt is tightened.  That bolt also retains the parachute bridle to the car. 

I am still noodleing the steering wheel mount... made a couple pieces yesterday that I didn't like... back to the napkin.... :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #468 on: January 18, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »
Kinda sums up any given work night at Stainless'.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #469 on: January 18, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
The parachute has a spring loaded pilot... the yellow part of the retainer/releaser is made from flat bungee cord.  I will load the chute to make it more clear.  If you look back a little you will see the electric release (with mechanical backup) so you see how it is done.   
I had to watch it several times to figure out the grey rod thing.... it is the water tank rubber overflow vent tube... innocent bystander... and the clips that hold the retainers will not swing either, they will be fixed when the bolt is tightened.  That bolt also retains the parachute bridle to the car. 

I am still noodleing the steering wheel mount... made a couple pieces yesterday that I didn't like... back to the napkin.... :roll:

You spend time on something and your gut says it's not right but you hope and go through the motions. I dumped four versions of the same junk I made yesterday. A simple bracket for a throttle body return spring!!!!
Back to the napkin here too. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #470 on: January 18, 2019, 11:07:00 PM »
OK, here is what I think I could end up with in the steering department... Those are snap ring grooves... unless they are in the sleeve, then they are grease grooves.... the first pic is the distance that I would use for the wheel, then the pic for shorter arms... been thrashing adjust-ability... finally decided this will work... each space is 1/4 inch... if we need more than a couple of inches I can space the mount.  It is just tacked till I decide it this is it...

Finished the tie rods as well
Stainless

Offline tauruck

« Reply #471 on: January 19, 2019, 05:39:17 PM »
That looks so good.

Thanks for the motivation. God Bless. :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #472 on: January 23, 2019, 12:15:28 AM »
Been working on the rear suspension... noodling how and where everything goes while using as much of the old axle as possible.  It will be using rockers  (seen a page back) and look a lot like the front suspension.  I have made a few parts and have a few more to make.... and some to modify... pictures maybe in a couple of days.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #473 on: January 25, 2019, 12:35:47 AM »
OK, the start of the rear axle... been making and modifying parts to get to this point... most of today was spent making the shock brackets and the push rods.  Previously I modified the axle mounts... if you look back far enough you will see the original brackets... I had to eliminate to top hole on the mount brackets to be able to get the push rods a spot to attach. 
The lower cross member was a bit of a pain... it is in the part of the curve that pinches at about 5 degrees per side... the upper is in the part that pinches at about 3 degrees per side. 
The axle should be at the top of its travel in the pictures
Next up on my to do list is the brackets to hold the rocker
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #474 on: January 27, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
While trying to get the suspension all lined up the numbers were not adding up...  so started checking and... crap... the rear axle was 1/8 to the left... since everything had been apart, I checked it all again including flipping the swingarm over.... with the swingarm flipped, the axle was 1/8 to the right. 
So the swingarm is not made centered.... something must have moved when I was tacking it all up.... a long time ago...  and I didn't notice till now...
So I have a plan... first I will build new mounts that are wide enough to be laterally adjustable with shims.  I basically need to be able to move the arm over 1/16.  Then get the swing arm bracing welded... after I decide how to do that... my options are brace it with the open braces seen in several of the pictures or build a box brace for it.... then if welding doesn't warp the swingarm and it still fits the axle I can center it up and then get back to the suspension. 
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #475 on: February 03, 2019, 11:17:26 PM »
Figured the swing arm error out... and how it happened... built the new mounts and now the arm is square centered with the centerline of the car.... and adjustable... which may come in handy when I weld the braces on the swingarm... if it pulls in a little due to welding. 
The old mount is the one on the rail...  the new mount is wider and made with 1/4 steel instead of .188.  I made it with a pinch slider... currently has 3/4 washers as spacers... but when I'm happy that I have everything correct, I will turn a spacer so make it easier to assemble. 
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #476 on: February 03, 2019, 11:52:37 PM »
When all that was done... back to suspension... the structure pieces are in with heavy tacks, the brackets are all welded.  I am set up for a little more than 2 inches of suspension travel at the axle.  I also threw a spring on the shock just to see what it will look like... which is all I can do with that spring in there because the axle won't move unless I get a lot stronger...  :roll:
I have a little welding to do... although I will probably remove a bunch of stuff to make it easier.  I will install my K legs on the swing arm while is out.  I need to weld some close outs on the ends of the swingarm tubes to help with torsion strength according to my new next door neighbor.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #477 on: February 10, 2019, 10:24:47 AM »
Welded in a bunch of the tacked structure pieces... made some small 1/3 circles pieces to close out the tubes where they attach to the 5/8 steel.... that added 3 inches of weld to each tube to help prevent those thick pieces from tearing out of the tube.  Welded the K braces in the swingarm... used up about an inch of tungsten welding the narrow valleys  :oops: what a PITA....
Put the swingarm back in... everything still fits... it is currently spaced with washers, they get it centered within .015... I may make spacers if time permits later... but it is close enough to work fine.
I think it may be time to fit an engine in there...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline tauruck

« Reply #478 on: February 10, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »
Looking good Bob.

You're really going now.

Makes me feel bad about falling behind. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #479 on: February 10, 2019, 11:29:27 PM »
Mike, there is no ahead or behind in building LSR special construction cars... or any LSR car for that matter.... I should be building faster... but I'm not.... there is almost as much inspiration as perspiration in one of these, got to do it as you envision it.

So I grabbed one of my junk motors... threw a head on it and started figuring out how I will install motors in this car.  I really wanted to do a cartridge type system in this car... kinda like the Speed Demon but all the motors I might use are not the same basic design... but I think I can do something like the old car... basically put some bolt blocks in and them build motor mounts to fit as required. 
The old car was based on the blocks we welded in back in 1984 to mount the 1983 Honda Interceptor bike inside the car... we continued to use part of that Honda frame with our Kawasaki motors all the way into early 2002 when we converted to Suzuki motors.
I have a few ideas I will explore...  :cheers:
Stainless