Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464080 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #450 on: December 31, 2018, 07:10:42 AM »
You're on a serous vein of good form.
The build is coming on in leaps and bounds. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline 7707

« Reply #451 on: December 31, 2018, 08:37:16 AM »
Can’t wait to see it under its own power running down the salt. It’s 7 months away ... lol
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #452 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:25 PM »
Hopefully it is almost 8 months  :roll: gonna need every day I'll bet...
Moved to the back of the car, welded the push bar and gussets in.... Had a tube blow out... then it occurred to me that the right side  is sealed up aft of the engine compartment due to the removable frame.  So I went to the spot where the tubes were joined... and drilled a .060 hole through the tube and spud.... now there is a spot for the pressure to escape and no more issues... I could drill that one bigger and make another rosebud there if I want.
If you think it looks short, that is not parallax error, I have not decided if I'm doing another skate wheel or something else.
While that cooled, I moved back to the front and started the steering set up.... The front axle is a little farther up than is can go.  From there I left about an inch on the double d slider to ensure it can't bottom out on the slider.
 I am planning a 1.5 x 1 x .125 crossmember where the steering reducer mounts... it will double as leg restraint... and I guess I used all my stock getting the floor in, so off to the Yard to pick up another 24 ft stick... by the time I got back, the back was cool, the sun was down and the leftover frozen Thanksgiving turkey and stock that I assembled into turkey green chili after supper last night was calling my name.  It coupled well with the Chili Homebrew that Ross left at the house a couple of weeks ago....
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #453 on: January 03, 2019, 09:17:17 AM »
Looking good Bob...Is that a Sweet steering reducer??  Remind me to tell you a rather amusing Randy Sweet story some time... :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #454 on: January 03, 2019, 09:34:28 AM »
Great progress; I am coming over to SW 2019 and I expect to be able to see Bockscar 2.0 in person (please).  :-D

Are the 4 bars terminated with 5/8" or 1/2" rose joints (heim) - I suspect the larger size is the norm and would like to know why as that seems like something you'd find on a 1.5 ton pickup rear (oh, like a '56 3100 Apache for example) rather than a svelte race car.  :?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #455 on: January 03, 2019, 11:31:50 AM »
LJ, yes those heims are heavy duty.... chromoly body, kevlar lining  5/8 thread x 1/2 inch bearing.  We always go a little heavy duty on suspension.  When you are going straight it is not necessary, but sometimes you don't and that is when it is...  :-o keeping the axles where you planned them is high on the list of important things.  
The sliding pieces we discussed on your thread are what you see as well.  Those we salvaged from a collapsible steering column.  

Expecting some stuff from Brown Santa today... Johnboy cut some pieces for the rear rockers and the last parts for the chute release.  I have also been doing a lot of small pieces that are parts to be used later, still plenty to do.  
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #456 on: January 03, 2019, 11:43:48 AM »
Mercy Buckets.  :cheers:

Or, as the French might write it, Merci Beaucoup, but then again they are not known for there spelling.  :-D
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #457 on: January 03, 2019, 11:48:38 AM »
I accidentally found a UK hot rod store with the correct sized steering UJ's (Borgeson) to DD fittings and they supply the telescoping 3/4" DD shaft too so that solves that and I thank you for the direction - option A was to mix and match, option B will be much cleaner.

The outer sleeve D is 1" - I assume a short length of 3/4" is welded in that end to insert in the UJ and clamp on to.
Just a squeeze.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #458 on: January 07, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »
Just been making parts that will show up here at some point... the rockers for the rear suspension got finished today.... made the centers and then welded them to the parts Johnboy sent.... of course the bearings won't press in after welding... might have to hone or rebore. 
Made the mount for the steering "slower" that led to the mount for the clutch and brake.  Yes, when I get all the parts put in and tacked, I'll get a pic.   

Jerry, it is not a Sweet, but same design...
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #459 on: January 08, 2019, 11:55:50 PM »
The rear rockers I mentioned shrank the bearing bores during welding... looks like the center is still on the number but the top and bottom third make sort of an hourglass.  John Goodman (GGL205) was over today, suggested I could ream the holes.  We went to his house and checked his adjustable reamer... no joy... tried the Yard and the Aircraft Tool Yard... no joy again.  We headed to Mires Tool, he thought he had a 1.1250 reamer, nope he must have sold that and didn't remember... But in his surplus tools he had  a 4 straight flute 1.125 cutter with carbide blades.... so for $10 I said I'd give it a try.  Did I mention it had a large morse taper..... I got it centered in the lathe and cut the morse taper top down to .875.  I probably don't need to tell ya how hard it is to straight cut one of those tapers on a tool... made little blue hairs and killed 2 corners on the insert... but it looks like chrome where I cut it.  then it got chucked in the 3 Jaw and supported with the live center and it reamed like a champ.  
Is it me... or does that look a little dangerous...  :roll:

Pressed the bearings in and and now the rear suspension can be figured out.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #460 on: January 09, 2019, 12:24:02 AM »
Yes the rockers should look like the front ones... no need to reinvent the wheel.

The parts I've made for the cockpit needed a fit check so I moved up there and popped it all together... and managed to remember to take a couple of pics there as well...

The steering shaft from the old steering wheel mount was bent up a little but it is good enough to help figure out what I might need.

Then we have the brake and clutch mount as well steering slower mount.... Yep it is on a slider to accommodate from my size to Jon Amo.  I have been in the car multiple times and modifying ideas till I ended up here.

And finally the view down the seat to the front.  I am adapting the old seat... modifying as required to make it work.  The front seat pieces need mods to fit...
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #461 on: January 12, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »
Made the tie rods, still playing with the set up for the steering... as soon as I have the wheel set for me, I think everyone else will be able to space from that.  The pedals are set that way... long enough for me with the ability to make them shorter.

finally got the parachute retainer made... I think everything is ready there except wiring.... we are a long way from wiring...  :|
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #462 on: January 12, 2019, 10:53:38 PM »
Let's see if I can get this posted...
https://youtu.be/pvjW6DW-KhE

There ya go.... that is how it works.... I'll load a chute and pilot one of these days
Stainless

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #463 on: January 13, 2019, 07:48:50 PM »
Everything is looking good :-D. Looks like the chute releases with authority :cheers:

Johnboy
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline tauruck

« Reply #464 on: January 13, 2019, 08:04:49 PM »
Is that CNC gas pedal the hydraulic one?.

All looking good Stainless.👍👍👍👍