Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464213 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #435 on: December 05, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »
Little buggers were right there in a piece of tubing weren't they ?  Looks great (as always) Bob
Yes they were and interestingly enough, the tube is the same, or close enough, diameter as the grinder wheel on the grinder my neighbor gave me when he moved.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #436 on: December 05, 2018, 11:43:50 AM »
You have nicer neighbors than do I....A hole saw works great on those and when located properly, You end up with matching left/right pcs.  Carry on
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: December 05, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »
Jerry, he gave me a drill press and a bunch of other stuff as well... he was running out of space in the place he was moving to.  Of course his son questioned giving all that stuff away but he told him if he gave it to me he could just come to my shop if he needed to use it.  I do a little welding and make a few farm parts as well as repairing tractors and combines around the neighborhood.  It is all done on the barter system... it is handy too have a backhoe, dump truck, tractor with a blade and bucket and an unlimited supply of manure for the garden when the barn gets mucked out.  I have several good neighbors....  :-D

I used a hole saw on the end caps, but the largest I have is 5 inches.... and it needs a bit of massage to fit the 5.56 tube.  That hole saw is not deep enough to cut through tube. I cut it with the band saw and used the grinder to make it better.  But I know where to look for a thousand future brackets I'm going to need before this deal is done.
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #438 on: December 06, 2018, 11:09:18 AM »
Stainless, if you need another source for brackets, try AA Manufacturing.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #439 on: December 11, 2018, 10:34:14 PM »
I know y'all think I must have joined the flat earth society and walked off the end  :| but actually I have been noodling, bracket racing and making parts to build a car  8-)

Of course I took the tube out and welded the water tank brackets, then I started laying out the chute release and all the sudden... well after a day or so...  it is ready to weld a more stuff on it.  It is still removable to make welding a little easier.  Yes Martha, I will be cleaning up the old brackets and maybe "canodize" them to delay their inevitable fate.  All the brackets welded to the stainless tube are also stainless... but that might not keep me from painting the the tube, we will see.  I did not tack the release termination to the tube yet... it will make taking the tube out easier...
Ok here's pics
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2018, 11:41:17 PM »
Since the first pic gave away that I had other stuff mounted I should show my unfinished work there too.
I started mounting the gas and intercooler tanks... leaving some room to expand the intercooler tank if I run out of things to do. 
The tube at the top has 5 threaded inserts welded in... some of the parts I've been making... 3 for the tank and 2 for other mounding uses.  I made and tacked in one of the lower mounts, the other side may double as a fuel pump mount... don't know yet but I'm thinking about it.  The pump you see is the intercooler pump.
The old car had a Holly Blue feeding the EFI pump, basically a lift pump, so I plan to mount the EFI pump low and eliminate the Holly Blue.... decreasing my electrical load.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: December 13, 2018, 11:51:34 PM »
Built the cable stop for the manual chute release... looked around the shop for a piece of stainless bar... no luck, but I did have 3/4 stainless round, so I flattened 3 sides by .100, drilled a .106 hole thru it, milled a .250 hole about .550 deep and then I milled a .093 slot down the side to make installing and removing the cable easier... don't have to remove the clamp ends.
There is an adel clamp that holds the cable housing in place, I welded a flat mount for that to the cable stop, and both will be welded on the top of the cross bar after the tube is permanently installed in the next couple of days. 

Welded the pieces I had tacked to the chute tube... I am thinking about just tacking the tube in place because I know if I weld it in now I'll wish I hadn't when I need to attach something to the frame and the tube will be in the way  :x  :|

Yes I did other stuff, but nothing that looks like progress  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline tauruck

« Reply #442 on: December 14, 2018, 10:38:58 AM »
That's a lot of work in a short time. :cheers:

Looks really good and I hope you don't mind me stealing with my eyes????.

Inspiration to get going on mine.

Thanks. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: December 21, 2018, 12:21:02 AM »
Its been quiet from here, but that's because you don't need to see how some of the sausage is made  :-o
I found a Bosch fuel pump mount bracket online... cheaper that I could make one, so from there I made the parts to get it mounted on the fuel tank next to the intercooler water pump.

Finally got all the parts for the front axle made... Johnboy made the ends for the king pin holders... and spindle parts you will see some other time.  I got the king pin holders welded up, the axle cut and machined and welded one end on.... Will weld the other end tomorrow... I can't fixture it for welding and slow cool it...
Here's a peek under the blanket... the parts were preheated, welded and then slow cooled... that end was still 150 after 3+ hours... that ceramic blanket is really good stuff.
Stainless

Offline tauruck

« Reply #444 on: December 21, 2018, 04:13:52 AM »
Ceramic blanket is good.
Thanks for the update. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #445 on: December 21, 2018, 09:27:30 PM »
Nice looking welds Mr. Steele :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #446 on: December 22, 2018, 12:08:53 AM »
The other end of the axle is under the blanket staying warm and snugly... then I pulled everything in the back apart again. After deciding how I will do the release strap I threw the chute tube in the mill to cut some notches in the tube to hold the release strap in place... yes no pictures...  I'm sure they will show up somewhere along the line as this continues.
Johnboy is making a few more parts in Denver... of course I'm ready for them....
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #447 on: December 29, 2018, 11:01:56 PM »
Been welding stuff and making parts the last couple of days.  Both ends of the axle have been back under the blanket... I added the gussets on the ends....
I also welded the chute tube in... I mentioned I would show the end, so here ya go. 
Johnboy sent so parts via Brown Santa... hope to get those soon...
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: December 31, 2018, 12:40:48 AM »
OK, next step for the front axle is to set caster angle, and mark the setscrew divots that will make it easier to assemble and disassemble with repeatability.
So to get to that point the axle is clamped in the holders, measured to be in the center, with the 4 bar parallel to the frame.  After several measurements, moves and calculations I think I'm there.
Then the steering box mount and Watts link mount was centered between the axle holders and by some minor miracle, it all went back together like it was before. 
I checked the range of motion, the axle stayed centered like it should with a Watts link that is working in the middle of its range.
The caster is set to 12 degrees... I mounted the spindles... I need to find or make some new copper or brass washers that we use as bearing surfaces....  the original caster we used was 36, and that is what the other tie rod mounts you see are set for.  The ones to the rear will work at several angles but 12 is what they were built for. 
Yep I won't get into the discussion of what caster is best... I personally like the way the 36 drove... it was like having stops for minimum steering... but it came with its own issues that you see in old flopper dragsters... so I'll go with 12, we had that for a couple of years and it was not a problem...  the car was stable and drove well.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #449 on: December 31, 2018, 12:51:11 AM »
I guess I should have mentioned the 1.25 bar you see in the second picture.  That is close to planned ride height... the first pic had the axle at the bottom of travel... full droop I think that is called by suspension guys...
Making a little progress every day is a good goal  :cheers:
Stainless