Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464102 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #420 on: November 30, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
Subject change... car construction....  :-D
The grommets arrived so I could finish the upper brackets for the water tank... there is one more set that goes on the parachute tube... Jerry, I tried to find those in tubing, but they aren't square... but I will keep looking, I think the ones on the parachute tube are hiding in a piece of square tube  :wink:

Made a piece to connect the top tubes, it is about 3/8 inch behind the water tank and will be a connection point for the chute tube.  The tubing will be in Monday says Brown Santa... 

I am still going to cut 2 inches off the top tubes, that third tube is the push bar receptacle.  It will sit close to that height above the chute tube... I cut some v plates to connect it to the top tubes.  It may be time to cut the top tubes, I don't think they should go anywhere when I cut off the part that connects the back due to the cross bar I put in there.
Yep, the plan is still a little fluid.... good thing I'm not working from a drawing   :roll: :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #421 on: December 01, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
Progress. Great to see you're getting somewhere. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Peter Jack offered to help me on my project early on and wanted me to send
him my plans. I was too embarrassed to tell him there weren't any. Sorry Pete. :oops:
I used the Kiwi Belly Tank method. :-D

No hijack intended.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #422 on: December 02, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »
Surprise... Brown Santa showed up last night a couple of days early with a long box.  Had a party to attend last night so I got a late start this morning  :| and opened it up.  The 5 inch schedule 5 304 stainless pipe is here. 
Before I cleaned it up I sliced 25 inches off for the chute tube and then I cleaned both pieces up a little.  The long piece went on the rack, the short piece is headed to the car.  Yes it is hard to cut that size on a 4.5 inch saw... required a move to finish the cut.

Ok, starting to fit it into the  car... welded an end cap for the tube, with a drain hole.  Eventually it will be welded in, but not before a few brackets are attached.  The water tank will have it's last two brackets attached, the chute release bracket will be added and the inertia kill bracket. 

I also made an end cap for the top tubes with a passage for the electric/manual chute release...

next up I'll put the water tank back in and see where brackets go.  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline salt27

« Reply #423 on: December 02, 2018, 09:36:27 PM »
Stainless, PM sent.

Don

Offline tauruck

« Reply #424 on: December 03, 2018, 01:23:43 AM »
That's a lovely saw. I'd love one.
This place has 220v but my neighbours who don't have machinery all have more. :evil:

Looking good. I love your build. All class.
I learned something as well. The drain hole. :cheers:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #425 on: December 03, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »
WTF ???   El Kabong take a break?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #426 on: December 03, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
My bad, I left the dead blow hammer on the mill when we (Stainless) were "adjusting" the Sportster carb jetting.  Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #427 on: December 03, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »
My bad, I left the dead blow hammer on the mill when we (Stainless) were "adjusting" the Sportster carb jetting.  Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Also an appropriate tool for reactivating an SU electric fuel pump. 

In fact, back in the day, if you ordered an MG with wire wheels, the factory included one with the tool kit.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: December 03, 2018, 11:43:47 AM »
WTF ???   El Kabong take a break?

Sorry Jerry, but I did mention I don't pose pics... El Kabong was actually on the top rail behind the tube.  

Mike, I close out the tubes to keep salt out.... the other option is keep them completely open so they can be washed out.  A tube with one end open... like the chute tube needs a way to get the salt or rinse water out... Salt will go everywhere...
Our original frame lasted 40 years without rusting in two... plan is to make this one last longer.  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #429 on: December 03, 2018, 11:44:22 AM »

Also an appropriate tool for reactivating an SU electric fuel pump. 

In fact, back in the day, if you ordered an MG with wire wheels, the factory included one with the tool kit.

Chris, those hammers work on Ferrari 250GTE Fispa electric fuel pumps too.  :-D

Regards, Neil   Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #430 on: December 03, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »
That's what is so good about the forum. You learn stuff.
Stainless, I would have had to jack a 40' car to get water
out of the chute tubes. :-D :-D :-D :-D

I drilled them today. Thanks a bunch.👍

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: December 03, 2018, 09:15:10 PM »
Mounted the water tank, marked the chute front bracket where it needs trimmed.... made the brackets that go on the tube for the tank mounts.  Jerry, I found those in a piece of tubing.... thanks.  I can't weld them on the tube till I get the grommets for the back mounts.  Worked on the push bar mount and welded the tops of the close-outs for the upper tubes.  Started on the push bar...

I may have to clean up a little, put stuff away so I can spin the car and weld some of the bottom stuff... I struggle with "in position" welding... out of position welding always sucks  :-o

If I find some grommets in town I might get enough done tomorrow to take a couple of pics.
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #432 on: December 04, 2018, 10:36:57 PM »
Well after 4 hours of searching... I found a couple of grommets that would work if I modified my plan.  Seemed that all of the 1/2 inch panel hole with 3/8 center hole grommets were a small outside diameter and not very thick.  I'm using them for vibration isolation and expansion allowance... so I wanted large and thick.  These last brackets are .060 stainless, and the  1/2 inch grommet hole just grew to 5/8 and now I can keep going.  I put a heavy tack on them, and will finish welding when the tube comes back out... one of the next 10 times  :roll:  I have a couple more parts that mount on the tube, a little welding on other parts and then the tube goes in permanently.
Stainless

Offline tauruck

« Reply #433 on: December 05, 2018, 12:50:38 AM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #434 on: December 05, 2018, 09:40:18 AM »
Little buggers were right there in a piece of tubing weren`t they ?  Looks great (as always) Bob
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.