Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464146 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #405 on: November 26, 2018, 04:32:07 PM »

Don't mind the clutter.... I always forget to straighten up a little before I take a pic or two

What's the point?   Cleanup is "wasted effort" and so: over-rated . . . .

Besides, as soon as the pics are taken, it's back to the "goat explosion"  anyway.

Looking good Bob.

:cheers:  and Happy Holidaze . . . .
Mark

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D Too true!!!.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #406 on: November 27, 2018, 12:57:37 AM »
No pics today, but played in the shop most of the day.  Made some brackets, but then figured out that I need new rubber grommets for the water tank mounts, and that will actually change the top mount. Grommets show up Wednesday at Graingers.

Thinking about the parachute tube... did a little ciphering
Old tube- 5 inch x .063 x 26 = 484.3 ci

New tube 5.562 x .109 x 26 = 583.17 ci 
or
New tube 5.562 x .109 x 25 = 560.7 ci

So I pulled the chute out of the box, and packed it in the new tube after temp plugging the end... it packed in 24 inches and had a little room to spare... that math ended with 538 cubic inches.  Lots of room  in the tube so I guess there will be plenty of room to store duct tape if I need to.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #407 on: November 27, 2018, 05:50:42 AM »
In life you can never have too much duct tape - there is always something.

In the UK there is a popular brand at DIY stores called Duck Tape and that seems to have become eponymous here. Interestingly I have neither seen a duck using said tape nor indeed repaired by it.

Recently the Gorilla brand (US I think) has become popular but I think trying to pull that off a large primates fur could go wrong quite quickly.

Seriously though - thank you Stainless for the tube volume calculations. That helps put the tube requirments in perspective for me.

I may be using incorrect terms but the bridle line (that attaches to the vehicle) will presumably lie along the bottom of the tube and the chute packed on top of it filling the tube from the rear - is there any reason why a tapered channel at the bottom of the tube is a bad idea for that line or just simply unnecessary?

john
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #408 on: November 27, 2018, 07:05:30 AM »
MMM, good stuff. Iffy staff here!!!!.
Glad you got the chute tube sorted. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #409 on: November 27, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »
LM There are two systems one has it's pilot chute in another 3" tube with a spring or cyl. launcher or a pilot chute that packs in the same tube.

When I used a pilot chute that had a spring that attached to it I tied m y chute tether to the frame and it flew inside the tube

I now use a system that has a spring that is inside of a 3" alum tube for a small non ridged pilot chute and I use two different size chutes and pilots and two different length tethers 60' launched first and 45' second.  I can swap tubes so the big one is first at El mirage and the small is first on the long tether at b'ville.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: November 27, 2018, 11:56:03 PM »
LM, the tether could  lay in a channel, but it would have to be a very smooth channel transition... We have always had it just laying on the bottom, all the others folded on top of it, the chute folded in and a spring loaded pilot.  If you don't have enough tube, it gets really hard to pack the chute and tether into the tube and get the pilot in there as well.  Before you pick a tube, pick a pilot... Then talk to the chute manufacturer to understand how much volume you need for your chute. Diest did all that for us 40 years ago... then the chute grew, and pilots grew and it got hard to pack....  That is why Stan suggested you can't have too much room in the chute tube.
Our liner had chute tubes that were larger in the front than the rear... thought about the same type for this car but that is just one more thing to build. 
Incidentally, I found 5 inch schedule 5 304 Stainless at Pittsburgh Steel Products, they have a $150 minimum, but they had a 7 ft drop, so I now have some extra tube coming...  Yes I spent more than I wanted but I will have plenty of extra for the new liner, and maybe some for someone else... I have enough for 3.
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #411 on: November 28, 2018, 04:10:30 AM »
Thanks Sparky, Stainless

Sorry to hijack your build thread.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #412 on: November 28, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »
LM... there are no hijacks of build threads... there is just discussion that might wander as questions and answers arrive...  :roll:
You will see this in all the builds on this site... and one thing leads to another.... although my favorite distractions head toward food and beer.... which reminds me... if anyone ends on the big island Hawaii, Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea has the best beer on the island.... Yes, better than Kona.... drank my last bottle (with friends) of Black Whole... a barrel aged stout... thick and rich... yummmmm
See  8-)  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #413 on: November 28, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »
I'm hijacking your Build Diary to say that I'm bottling a batch of P-38 Porter today.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #414 on: November 28, 2018, 12:30:45 PM »
I'm hijacking your Build Diary to say that I'm bottling a batch of P-38 Porter today.  :cheers:
Wayno
That's not a hijack - that's a public service announcement.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: November 28, 2018, 10:03:53 PM »
I'm hijacking your Build Diary to say that I'm bottling a batch of P-38 Porter today.  :cheers:
Wayno
That's not a hijack - that's a public service announcement.  :cheers:

Any of that going to make it all the way to Bonneville....  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:18:42 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #416 on: November 28, 2018, 10:42:41 PM »
How bout a stocking stuffer for SS1. :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #417 on: November 28, 2018, 11:29:46 PM »
How bout a stocking stuffer for SS1. :-D

I'll drink to that... especially P-38  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #418 on: November 29, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
Wayno
Send Bob`s share to Rev.Jer...It`ll be safe `til August :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #419 on: November 29, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »
Come aaaaand geeeet iiiiit.  :lol:  :cheers:
Wayno