Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464110 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #375 on: November 06, 2018, 05:56:14 PM »
Rob, please excuse my comments on your build thread. Not sure how else to comment to Rex. I will be brief.

Rex, like locating bard boards, I have no idea where to position vortex generators. My best guess would be to place them at the seam between where the original body ended and the new section begins. This would give air time and distance to speed up and attach.

John

Offline maj

« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2018, 02:49:27 PM »
I brought vortex generators to try and keep air attached further down the bike, and then called the manufacturer to talk about placement
very important to have them in the attached flow, like the front wheels , there influence goes a long way
if you look a aircraft using them its always closer to the leading edge 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #377 on: November 13, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »
No I have not been slacking... I've been making parts and patiently waiting for the parachute tube materials to show up. 
Decided to move on... I bent the lowers ... remember way back when... I was building upside down... well here is some of the results... I'll bend the final bends when I get a tube for the parachute. 
Everything lines up and is looking like it will work.  Had to make 6 tube inserts to connect the tubes

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: November 13, 2018, 10:01:45 PM »
Yes, it seems tube bending is a black art.... Making 4 identical tubes is not easy. then finding the spot in the middle of the bend to make another bend is something I have struggled with for a couple of days.  Ross (MC2032) came by for a beer, so we hacked one of the tubes in two and threw it into the hydraulic tube bender.   Beer helps with the decision making process.
So upside down worked, It is time to flip it over, then start working to ensure it ends up square and symmetrical.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #379 on: November 13, 2018, 10:16:45 PM »
And the last two... some additional bending will be required and some tacking to keep things from shifting, but this is the basic shape we will end up with.  When I get my tube material, I will be able to start to finish this part.  Drilled a bunch of rosette holes and decided to stop here. 
There is still plenty to do  :cheers:  August is just around the corner... luckily Ross comes over with homebrew and "what ifs" and "how about's" my ideas and plans.
Stainless

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #380 on: November 13, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
You can never have enough tools as exemplified by your level collection.  :-D :-D :-D
I know exactly how that one works.  :cheers:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #381 on: November 14, 2018, 07:12:24 AM »
That, Gentlemen is how you build a race car!!!!!!!!.

That's STAINLESS. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

What size parachute tube is that on the ID?.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #382 on: November 14, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »
Ross (MC2032) came by for a beer, so we hacked one of the tubes in two and threw it into the hydraulic tube bender.   Beer helps with the decision making process.

Sparky shared a great term for this process - he calls it "bingineering".

It's akin to the creative arts process. 

Kate's a copywriter, who states unequivocally that one should "write drunk and edit sober".

Same goes in the recording studio - "record high, mix dry".

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #383 on: November 14, 2018, 09:35:56 AM »
I agree 100% Chris. Well put brother. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: November 14, 2018, 10:02:54 AM »
Well it is a lot easier to just do it after a beer or two... less concern for the consequences of failure I guess.  :roll:

I really wanted to use 5.5 x .065 inch 304 stainless tubing... yep there is such a thing... but finding it at a reasonable price is impossible... the folks that have it are quite proud of it... one place was $156 a foot.... 11 ft minimum  :-o the low price was $99/ft and would sell 3 ft, but that still falls a little outside the budget.  
Yes I can get 6 easily, but it is not the size I prefer... our old tube was 5 x.083, after an pushing incident it was repaired to 5.25 where the pilot is. But available pilots fit very tight, and I wanted a little more room.
I found 5.5 x .065 aluminum... Have a chunk of it coming to see if it looks sturdy enough and I have 5 inch schedule 10 aluminum pipe on the way as well.
One of those is going to work.
Yes I could have rolled stainless sheet and made a tube, but that just added more work for the guy that wants to race next year.

Stainless

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #385 on: November 14, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »
With beer and an orange persuader what could possibly go wrong - go wrong - go wrong ???????????? :-D :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: November 15, 2018, 11:39:40 PM »
Spent today coming up with the best way to align the back now that it is flipped over.  Between the plumb line, the levels and the framing squares I think I am there.  Tacked the upper in place, then aligned the lower and threw a couple of tacks there to. 
Ross came by to help... first with finishing the tacks, and then with a couple of liters of homemade stout aged with a little bourbon spike in the bottles. 
As usual it was quite tasty.  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #387 on: November 16, 2018, 01:05:22 AM »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: November 16, 2018, 10:02:37 PM »
Started playing with the chute tube after I welded the tubes in place.  There is more welding to do but I don't expect anything to move.
I suspect the chute tube will be quite a bit shorter, in fact I think it will be a couple inches past the top rails when I'm done.  Of course the top rails might be a little shorter as well.  I have to pull the  water tank out of the old car and then start the install into this car.... the chute tube stops at the water tank.
Stainless

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #389 on: November 19, 2018, 04:38:02 PM »
This ain't necessarily for you, Stainless, but . . .

When we sized the parachute tube for the roadster, someone suggested making it a couple of inches longer than we thought we needed.  It might make it easier to pack a slightly dirty or salty chute.  And in the mean time, you could store a roll of duct tape there to take up the space.

We soon found out that we needed a much longer lead on the pilot chute as the air behind our street roadster was somewhat confused.  Bob Stroud kindly shipped the longer line {and maybe a different pilot, too (?)}, and that took up the storage room for the tape, but we didn't have to redo the installed tube.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records