Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464159 times)

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2018, 08:57:00 PM »
Seems quiet here but I have been busy making parts for the Watts Link.  All the parts are made but some need to be welded together and others need welded in place.... but with any luck you will get the idea of where things are going with the pictures. 
Welding starts tomorrow...
I will be taking a couple of days off while the Docs rework my electrical system  :| unfortunately my pump is running at 44-55 as long as I am up and moving... 41-38 if I am sitting down.... so Wednesday I get a timer installed... I have been resisting that but the doc says this is the fix to raise my energy level a little.
My buddy Ross is afraid I will end up like a 10 year old on a sugar high since I have always run slow...  :roll:
 :cheers:

Bob, you'd run with a thermosyphon.....

good to see the progress I've been busy, without being busy, sort of....applying for jobs, little bit of shed stuff. You'll be pleased to hear I'm getting a little more order in the shed....today I've already submitted an application so I'm off to the shed to build a replica of our house as a kennel for Woogie, hope yer well...... DrG
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #331 on: July 11, 2018, 06:14:54 PM »
Being in Bolivia is slowing my progress as well
I am trying to update the Ack in Bolivia thread as shit happens...
Still planning to put the whip to you next year for the DLRA meet... I'll be there way earlier I hope.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #332 on: July 11, 2018, 06:30:52 PM »
A couple of weeks ago KC and I went to Rocky Mountain National Park and were over 12,000 feets. Not long enough for the nitrogen in our blood to get goofy though.  :cheers:
Wayno

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #333 on: July 12, 2018, 02:14:21 AM »
A couple of weeks ago KC and I went to Rocky Mountain National Park and were over 12,000 feets. Not long enough for the nitrogen in our blood to get goofy though.  :cheers:
Wayno

Goofier.  :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

Offline Dr Goggles

« Reply #334 on: July 12, 2018, 02:15:52 AM »
Being in Bolivia is slowing my progress as well
I am trying to update the Ack in Bolivia thread as Subaru happens...
Still planning to put the whip to you next year for the DLRA meet... I'll be there way earlier I hope.

Challenge accepted, Oh btw.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1773951729367899&set=a.205069186256169.43676.100002592664801&type=3

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #335 on: July 12, 2018, 06:48:51 AM »
At least your down time is not going to waste working on that damn race car  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2018, 01:39:13 PM »
Stainless,
Looking forward to see how you address the belt drive installation as that is on my list for next years up dates. What ratio do you run between the engine and axle. We are a 2.12:1 now on our chain drive and would probably want the same for the belt.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2018, 11:44:28 PM »
Well here we are again.... while everyone thinks I've just been slaking the issue is the new phone... aka.. new camera has been fighting to keep photos and I just let it. 
Linda and I went to Hawaii for 10 days, so I had to get the pictures out for that.... and I did.
Hawaii?  yep, Linda had been there for work and vacation, I had been there twice before as well... except both times I was there was at night  :-o  It is an interesting place in the daytime...  and you can't drive very far without seeing the ocean, it was like being on islands  :roll:

So back to the car
I have not taken a lot of pictures of my plan for the rear suspension but I have been making parts to see if my thoughts were the way to go.  I wanted to simplify so I went to the source... I looked at a lot of  the rear suspensions in special construction at Bonneville. 
I had talked about it with Alan Rice while we were in Bolivia, and he sent pictures of their rear suspension. 

I sketched an idea and started building parts.... first I needed to extend the bottom frame rails temporarily. The structure that I was attaching to was there, but I only had 8 inches beyond the that on the bottom rail.  I didn't want to box myself in by building the back frame of the car.... but I needed a bit of bottom rail for reference of where to put the suspension.

The pivot is going to be on 7/8 x 3/4 rod ends, the arms will be 1.5 x .125 DOM and it is attaching to the existing 4 bar mounts on the axle.

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #338 on: October 27, 2018, 12:21:44 AM »
Rex, I hope to run about the same ratios as I have for chain.  I think we were running a 2.45 overall with the last set up... 1.596 primary, 1.043 transmission and a 19/28 chain. So I will try to do the same final with a belt.  I have 17, 18, 19, and 20 drive and 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, and 34 driven in chain... if I can cover close to those I will be thrilled. 
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #339 on: October 27, 2018, 12:36:00 AM »
Fast forward... Made a bunch of parts and started gluing them together.  The way it works out, the swingarm mount is wider than the old 4 bar so I milled the slots in the tube at 3 degrees.  The rod end can easily handle that so here is where I am.  I milled the same angles in the 2 x .125  cross tube.
Before I tack the cross tube, I need to ensure everything is sitting right.  I'll use 1 2 3 blocks to space the axle above the frame, the wood blocks are about .020 different, and keep the axle centered on the frame.
Stainless

Offline tauruck

« Reply #340 on: October 27, 2018, 09:40:54 AM »
Beautiful work. So neat and uncluttered. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #341 on: October 27, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »
 :-o I sure hope you weren't referring to his mind.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #342 on: October 27, 2018, 11:21:29 AM »
You are some funny guys.... Got the arm welded, the arm doesn't rock on the welding table, so we'll see if it fits after it cools down.   The 1 2 3 blocks made it easier than trying to shim the wood.  I'll post a pic of the installed arm as soon as I get it done.  The coilovers  will probably be done like the front on rockers with the shocks mounted behind the swingarm.  Of course that means that I will have to bend the tubes for the rear of the car, make new slugs to align the butt welds.  The rear tubes are going to be 1 5/8 x .083.
Stainless

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #343 on: October 27, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »
As with all of your stuff the word "stout" comes to mind! Nice work Stainless, looking forward to seeing what you do for a belt tensioner.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #344 on: October 27, 2018, 10:11:20 PM »
Yea, we always figured if you were going to build it, you just as well over-build it...

Here is what we have, the support can be removed from either side, it drops about a thou... maybe from the weight of the axle...
I think I'm ready to weld the tube bungs, and the mounts... I think I have a good start for the rear suspension...  we will bend some tubes for the back of the car and start thinking about the coilovers.
Stainless