Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464139 times)

Offline Mr. Schimstock

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2018, 12:38:48 PM »
I've put a radius on using the method this guy does. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTj6LC6agrg&t=435s

It's slow and leaves some flat spots that are easily cleaned up, but it does work.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
These are all great ideas that work great but here is another way that is much faster, if not as precise.

Paint on a coat of layout blue and scribe a radius with a protractor. Grind away the excess material with a belt sander using a 3M Cubitron II abrasive. This abrasive literally eats metal! Hacksawing away as much material as possible beforehand helps, too. Quick & easy.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2018, 01:45:24 AM »
I managed to use a couple of the suggestions, followed the video and then used the sander... came out alright... bearings about a .001 press
Here is how I plan to use it.... more structure required for the  attach points... but getting it close to the way it is planned. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: May 28, 2018, 12:16:50 AM »
Seems quiet here but I have been busy making parts for the Watts Link.  All the parts are made but some need to be welded together and others need welded in place.... but with any luck you will get the idea of where things are going with the pictures. 
Welding starts tomorrow...
I will be taking a couple of days off while the Docs rework my electrical system  :| unfortunately my pump is running at 44-55 as long as I am up and moving... 41-38 if I am sitting down.... so Wednesday I get a timer installed... I have been resisting that but the doc says this is the fix to raise my energy level a little.
My buddy Ross is afraid I will end up like a 10 year old on a sugar high since I have always run slow...  :roll:
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: May 28, 2018, 01:00:06 AM »
Good luck with the new ECU---hope you get a good baseline tune :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #320 on: May 28, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »
....Welding starts tomorrow...
I will be taking a couple of days off while the Docs rework my electrical system  :| unfortunately my pump is running at 44-55 as long as I am up and moving... 41-38 if I am sitting down.... so Wednesday I get a timer installed... I have been resisting that but the doc says this is the fix to raise my energy level a little.
My buddy Ross is afraid I will end up like a 10 year old on a sugar high since I have always run slow...  :roll:
 :cheers:

That is what mine was running at and you know where I ended up.  I do have a lot more energy now so glad I got it installed.  It is a Boston Scientific Model K173.  I was worried about welding but have had no problems with the TIG or MIG.  Call me if you need any more info.

Been following all your good work on the lakester, keep it up  :cheers:

Sumner

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: May 29, 2018, 10:52:11 PM »
After throwing all the front end stuff together... I thought I should also add the other large chunks that live in that area... 15+ lbs of Halon.  I knew everything would be close, it always was before... and it still is, but now I have the front axle upper limit that is controlled several ways.  So with the shocks disconnected, because they will stop upward movement with the bump rubbers before the mechanical stop can be reached.
The axle is as high as it will go....
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: May 29, 2018, 11:17:53 PM »
Here is where it is at normal ride height and then at the bottom in full droop. 

Of course while I was moving full stroke I checked how the Watts was doing... from full droop to full bump I could not find a measurable movement... of course we are talking about a little over 2 inches.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2018, 12:50:16 PM »
The one thing I found out is when they installed the new ECU, the wiring is a little fragile at first, so for a few days they want my left arm in a sling.... and they suggested that I might want to wear that sling anytime I am in the shop to prevent inadvertent motion with that arm.  Since there is very little pain associated with the arm movement they were right to suggest that. 
Working with one arm in a sling is tough but doable.  :|

Full droop needs stops... So here they are... not welded in yet, Tig needs 2 hands... that may be possible after I see the Doc on the 5th.  They want limited arm movement for a month while the wiring scars in.
Stainless

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2018, 03:37:35 PM »
any 5th grade sugar high performances  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2018, 05:37:18 PM »
The one thing I found out is when they installed the new ECU, the wiring is a little fragile at first, so for a few days they want my left arm in a sling.... and they suggested that I might want to wear that sling anytime I am in the shop to prevent inadvertent motion with that arm.  Since there is very little pain associated with the arm movement they were right to suggest that...

Congrats on getting through the rewire procedure.  I'll bet there was also something said about how much you should lift for a while.  I know it is hard for you, but take it easy and don't pull those leads out  :wink:,

Sumner

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2018, 07:45:58 PM »
It is hard to not do when you have energy to do....  :|
Yep no lifting anything heavier than my di--.... so the 19 inch 1 x 1.5 tubes to support the bumpers was within my limit  :roll: OK I used the other arm...  :-D

Ran the lathe a little today making weld in stubs to put in the end of the tubes aft of the engine bay for the rear of the car tubes.

Still noodling the rear suspension... I still think I can improve on the old one, but we will see
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: June 10, 2018, 08:35:32 PM »
When I set the lengths on the 4 bar and the Watts I determined I needed some way to hold the links while I tightened the jam nuts.  I picked up a couple of dollars worth of large nuts at the yard.
I modified a bunch of the nuts on the lathe to weld to the links...

So I need to do a little welding... the Doc said I could, just can't push, pull or lift with the left arm... I decided to give it a try... Seemed to work, I don't think the nut will fall off  :roll:
Stainless

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #328 on: June 10, 2018, 11:03:16 PM »
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:12:12 PM by ggl205 »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #329 on: June 11, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
Well those would have made life a little easier...  :cheers:
Stainless