Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464096 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #300 on: April 25, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »
Rex, the "One Pound" refers to how many times you have to pound something to accomplish a task.  :cheers:
Wayno

Yep.... Maxwell is an 8 lb sledge with a short handle... generally it does the job with 1 pound  :-D 
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #301 on: April 25, 2018, 09:38:30 PM »
Mine is about 12 to 15 lbs with about a 12" handle. Made it for knocking out the old style U-joints on diesel trucks, not enough room to swing long handle. Makes a pretty good anvil at other times.

YMMV
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #302 on: April 26, 2018, 11:33:36 PM »
Got a late start... working on my visa requirements for Bolivia.  Decided if Ack and Rocky were going to go 400 with the bike, I should see that... 2 sit on's going for 300... and the Barnyard Bearcat 2.0 (it was built here in Wichita) looking for big numbers.... hey why not.   
Made lower structure pieces, determined they will not help with the shock mounts, they will be used for the droop stop rubbers....then decided on a lower shock bracket and started making them.  Decided I should stop for lunch... it is 10PM... Had a glass of Bradford Mountain Red Field Blend wine with my roasted chicken and roasted veggies...
Not going back out to finish the brackets... maybe pictures tomorrow
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: April 28, 2018, 12:44:48 AM »
Well the Texas termites have been working overtime... and we have brackets to mount the shocks to the frame... kinda reminds me of Jerry's avatar... a little duck looking... or maybe goose. 

Then here they are with their mates tacked in and holding up their end of the job. 
There is a lot more work and checking to do here, but I think this is the way the front will be.  I like the motion
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: April 28, 2018, 09:43:57 AM »
Well the measurements say the axle is hanging within .020 of the center... slightly right, but well within the movements of the rod ends. 
The calculated ride height is with the boards in.  The lower structure is not tacked yet, I will install the droop stops first...
I guess it is getting close to time to weld all this in place.... but maybe I'll get the Watts Link worked out first since it will add a but more to the mix.

I'm taking next week off so it will look quiet around here for a while.... of course I will be thinking about the "how to's" ....
Anybody have a favorite brewery in DC....  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #305 on: April 28, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
Stainless;

Make sure the Watts linkage is level at your final ride height, otherwise the rear axle will shift left & right on bumps.

It looks like you are using some square & rectangular tubing in your chassis, too.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #306 on: April 28, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
Going to rub elbows with our favorite liars - err politicians. :? :? :?

Ron 
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #307 on: April 28, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
Ron, been telling folks Trump invited me to dinner...
He did, but mixed me up with someone that has money to donate...  :roll:

Plan is sightseeing... Linda has been there for work and always wanted to go back so she could see things rather than drive by.  I've never been there but it is on my list of spots I should visit.

Neil, yep, been reading up on Watts Links.

:cheers: :cheers:
Stainless

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2018, 09:13:27 AM »
Stainless;

Make sure the Watts linkage is level at your final ride height, otherwise the rear axle will shift left & right on bumps.

It looks like you are using some square & rectangular tubing in your chassis, too.

Neil, I think Stainless is using a Watts link on the front axle but your advice remains the same.

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #309 on: April 30, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »
I don't know if it helps but the PT Cruiser had a Watts linkage which should be cheap and plentiful source from a breakers yard and / or fleabay. Unequal length linkages but a nice looking 'z' linkage in photos on fleabay.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: May 20, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »
Well for all you folks that think I must have quit since it has been quiet here.... I did... for a couple of weeks anyway.  The DC trip was cool, visited all the memorials, saw all the stone buildings, toured to our hearts content... and found a different brewery every day... one day found 2.  The most interesting was Bardo Brewery... totally outside, bathrooms and storage in old containers.  The brewery is sitting on a cement pad... next to a construction site... they move when the vacant lot they set up on is due for building... said they moved to their current spot a year ago, expect to be there for 3 more years.
My new Geothermal heatpump showed up shortly after we got back, so I installed that, then prepped the garden for Linda... that included 2 loader buckets of manure...
So yesterday I was able to do a little welding on the car, til I ran out of Argon  :x thought my spare was full, wrong!
This morning I decided I should work on a watts link.  Carved up a chunk of aluminum, waiting on bearings to finish... there are times I wish I had a CNC to do outside radius.... I guess that is why I have a disc sander...
Here is what I have so far.
Stainless

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2018, 12:38:07 AM »
My shade-tree approach to outside radii on a manual mill (if you've got plenty of time to kill)-
Bolt a pivot pin (to fit the work piece) to the table. Provide a stop to prevent the work from moving up the pivot. Bolt stops where the radius is to start and end (-90 & +90 degrees in your case). Rotate the piece slowly by hand (opposite rotation to the cutter) in small cuts (say .005" at a time). After each cut the piece can be rotated back without stopping the machine, before advancing the table another increment toward the cutter.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:39:39 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »
corner rounding cutter...............they even make me look like I know what I`m doing.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2018, 11:29:44 AM »
This hillbilly goes for the hand mill, aka router. :-D
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2018, 11:41:23 AM »
hmmmm how does this up/down work    a Hillbilly from down/under   Sid does that mean your are on a sea mount or something   :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!