Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464130 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
Rex, over the years it evolved a lot... the first edition was a 10 day thrash converting the liner to the lakester.  
I picked up some grade 8's that might replace the SHCS at the top of the axle mount if the design remains, we will see.  The mounts were originally flipped around and the fastener needed to be in a counter-bore for clearance.
I usually need to hold hardware, look at the relationships, get an idea, throw that one out and get another.... then I sketch something.  Using the top bolt was a better thought than adding a threaded hole...
I'm still contemplating the where and how....

Doc, not to worry, it is in Denver with Johnboy... I am hoping he brings it here and helps me with the car sometime.... I'm sure he is not drinking it since you specified we had to drink it in each others company.  With any luck he is machining some of the parts he broke   :| :|  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2018, 12:50:10 AM »
Well today was a re-look at stuff day....
I checked the bike suspension rocker... nope it is still the wrong angles and not going to work...  :-(
The grade 8's I picked up are actually 8.2's but in looking up their grade to be sure they popped up on the list of bolts that have been counterfeited...  :x I got them at The Yard, they probably came from Boeing, they probably are real.... they are a 1/4 shorter than I really want, but I'm not sure I can get 1/2-13 x 3 3/4 so I'll look for bolts again tomorrow.
I did get a picture of the "thinking piece" for the Watts link... This one is probably not it because it has tapers in the ends for tie rods and not equal length from the center... but it does help with the idea of where I think I'm headed.
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2018, 01:09:27 AM »
Stainless;

Maybe you can use a reduced-height locknut since the bolt is in shear.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2018, 07:09:38 AM »
Stainless,

In a lot of situations I have taken a longer bolt than what was required, but with the correct shank length, and have cut off the excess threaded portion.    Mostly this was done when bolts were in shear.    NEVER had a problem.    In fact, using the correct shank length always works out better for the mounting tabs.    I've even redrilled cotter pin holes in shortened bolts, etc.    I always clean up the cut end on a lathe.

And I echo Neil about shear mounted fasteners.    All that is needed is a reduced height locknut.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2018, 09:10:20 AM »
Stainless,

In a lot of situations I have taken a longer bolt than what was required, but with the correct shank length, and have cut off the excess threaded portion.    Mostly this was done when bolts were in shear.    NEVER had a problem.    In fact, using the correct shank length always works out better for the mounting tabs.    I've even redrilled cotter pin holes in shortened bolts, etc.    I always clean up the cut end on a lathe.

And I echo Neil about shear mounted fasteners.    All that is needed is a reduced height locknut.

Fordboy

I agree, especially in a double shear mounting it is very important that the shank engage the mounts on both sides. Trimming the threaded end down does not affect the joint capacity at all, but having threads bearing on one side of the mount does.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: April 15, 2018, 12:17:57 AM »
Picked up a couple of 4 inch grade 8's, had to add 1 AN spacer washer between the rod end and the capture washer to make things fit perfectly.  The threads were already counterbored so the bolt grip was sunk inside for double shear on grip, not on threads. The bolt was OK without the washer, but I think the extra .040 will keep the threads from getting too close to the bottom... and it allows a little more freedom for the rod end. 
Continued toward suspension for the front... made the support structure pieces for the fire bottles... they may double for shock supports as well.   Have to accommodate everything that goes up there without getting things in the way. 
I also played with some cardboard parts and it looks like the shock can't move 2:1, not enough throw,  but 1.8 looks doable.  These pics are the result of today's thinking, the shock just short of full extension when the axle bottoms on the rubber stops that aren't there yet...  :-D  It looks like the rocker can be a straight piece... The bearing housing can be made from leftover 1.5 x .250 wall axle stock... I may need to find .125 x 2 steel to cut the pieces from.... I have some bearings coming...
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: April 15, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »
Started thinking about the rocker again, decided to make a pattern... one a little more durable than the cardboard pattern I was playing with.  The rocker should be 1.66:1 or so... I think...  :|  
The first one was fairly easy... all things considered... just need to do a little more shape work on the ends, and make 3 more just like it.  :-o  The bearings will be .5 x 1.125 x .375, I am boring a tube for the bearings... trying to decide how I will retain the bearings that will go in the tube... I guess just a light press should do it, they will be confined by the mount and bolt... with a spacer between them.
The thicker part under the center hole is the bottom.  I'll probably make the others tomorrow while I wait for parts and hardware to show up.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:48:12 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #262 on: April 15, 2018, 10:57:03 PM »
Stainless;

To retain that bearing within the tube, cut two short pieces of thinwall tubing that are a slip-fit inside the larger tubing.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2018, 12:48:15 AM »
In the middle of the night it occurred to me I needed to make the rockers differently  :| Locating the rocker on the bearing housing would be way easier if I cut a shoulder on the housing... the center hole needs to be about 1 3/8 instead of 1.5... I can live with one of them at 1.5  :wink:
I also need to send a note to Koni to ask about about the 1/2 inch ball ends available for the shocks... the ones that are in there are narrower than the shock housing, they had a reducer to 3/8 that extended the ball past the housing.  I can build spacers if I need to, but since the shocks need to be refreshed anyway, and the ball ends are pretty much worn out, I hope they have the ones I want. 
So the rockers are built, I match milled them in pairs... I can build the shock mounts, then I need parts.... and hardware that I am waiting for....
Or I swap back to the rear suspension  :-D
Stainless

Offline bones

« Reply #264 on: April 17, 2018, 05:49:44 AM »
Stainless

The rubber bump stop needs to be tapered.
If for some reason you use the full suspension travel it will be effectively rigid when it hits the flat bump stop.

Bones

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #265 on: April 17, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »
Hey Stainless
At Lake G you handed me some side cutters for cutting cable ties flush
Were they yours? I thought they came from Goggles toolbox , so I gave them back to him
He had no idea about them
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »
Bones, that piece is fairly mushy, and crumbly... I cut the bump stop that was in there down so I could estimate travel... There is a lot to do to those shocks before they get used... hopefully they will never find that part of the travel... in the original it only found those areas during special events  :-o the last one sheared the shock bolts in the front, and broke one the shock attach points off the shocks in the rear  :cry:

G... I'll bet Johnboy must have given you those.... we are easily confused  :roll:.... for each other as well  :-D... he usually carries a set of red mini-dikes for tie cutting when he goes racing...
consider them a donation to the cause...  :cheers:

Hoping Brown Santa shows up today with the stuff I can't get locally...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2018, 02:12:56 PM »
Yo Bob...I added flood coolant to my Index 745...Whole new world...Cutters stay cold to the touch.  Carry on, JB
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2018, 05:31:16 PM »
Jerry, I have spray... it makes a bigger mess than a little oil and an acid brush... but I guess it is easier on the tools  :|  The chips didn't look that blue  :roll:
Stainless

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #269 on: April 17, 2018, 06:09:45 PM »
Brown Santa turned up at my work on monday, and it didn't cost me anything
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm