Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464298 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #240 on: April 09, 2018, 02:23:54 PM »
Stainless,
So glad to hear that you did not mix the DP with the Bushmills, I am a real Teeling fan myself and could not bear to mix it with anything more than a very little water. Good choice!!!

Car is looking great and getting something done every day makes it happen. Keep it up!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2018, 12:24:09 AM »
Tonight's fare is Herman Marshall small batch Texas Whiskey.... I don't drink it straight... I put an ice cube in it and sip it while I type... so if.... well you know... that's why  :wink:

So I started where I left off and I got the other front suspension support fitted squared everything up and tacked both in.  Then I looked at my options for coil-overs and how I'm going to make this new front suspension work.  I also looked at my options for a watts setup.  After boiling my brain I switched the parts around and noodled some more.  Here are a few pics of where the front is headed.

Then Ross called, and asked if I was putting drains in so salt won't collect and rust the bottom.... untacked them and milled some drain holes in the bottom at the back, the front was fine.  It is tacked back in.  Lesson for today... when tacking in, be careful how you tack and... remember where we are racing. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2018, 12:39:57 AM »
Well the front suspension overheated my brain, so I made one of the support pieces for the rear... yes before I came in and consulted Herman Marshall on what to do next.... The new suspension part of this is the tough part... mostly because I want the shocks and springs to work... with the salt condition we now have.

Edit... forgot... Rex, I have Teeling... it is also one of my in stock Irish Whiskeys... as is 12 Year old Tullamore Dew
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 12:48:20 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #243 on: April 10, 2018, 01:34:51 AM »
I just like it that the red hammer makes it into most of the pictures. Dead blow hammers are invaluable in tightly assembling a race car chassis.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #244 on: April 10, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
that's just color for the photos  :-D  to keep them from being bland---like good whiskey and a DP can  :roll:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2018, 11:04:44 PM »
PJ and Sparky, you won't see the hammer in today's pics, I actually pulled it out... since the levels were already in there... I didn't need the hammer for color  :-D  But you are right, I am wearing that bugger out getting the parts in and moved where they belong.   
John Goodman (GGL205 not the actor that wants to play Fordboy) stopped by today to help me think about suspension... bounced a few ideas around (no pun intended  :roll:) and I have a direction to go... I think... he also has some road racing leftovers I will pick up tomorrow to help me think and plan... to go with the Koni coil-overs he donated to the project months ago. 

These are not tacked yet, I will pull these out and clean the tubes for welding.  I think they are in the correct spot, but I need to reassemble the rear axle to confirm the measurements.  But they are made and almost ready. 
Time to head to the cabinet to see what I might sip while I peruse other threads  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »
Back to the front.... I am looking to use some type of rocker arraignment for the front suspension... put the shock in the front corner, a 2:1 or so rocker to a link on the front axle.  I've been trying to figure out how I would attach the link to the axle... Well, I think I found it... I made a couple of stainless spacers to move the 1/2" SHCS out of its countersink, added the rod end... it looks like I will need a longer Allen, but i think this is the way I will go.
The bar across the front is where I plan to mount a Watts link.... I have a thinking piece, I'll clamp in on there tomorrow and take a pic if I remember. 
Just need to make more parts....
Time for a couple fingers of 23 year old Kirk and Sweeney Rum... no DP... this is the good stuff  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline bones

« Reply #247 on: April 13, 2018, 05:13:30 AM »
Hey Stainless

Why not have a look at some rear suspension links from a bike and the shocks.
I think the ratios are usually higher than 2:1 though.

cheers   Bones

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2018, 09:05:57 AM »
Oooh...aaah....damascening  :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »
Bones, I looked there early, maybe it is time to revisit bike parts... I have some around here somewhere
 :roll:
Jerry, we've always been a mix of bike and car parts.... if you had seen the car in 1984 you would have found the engine, frame (cut off above the top motor mount) and stock swingarm of a 1983 Honda 750 Intercepter hiding (welded) in there.  We mounted pillow blocks on the arm and ran a straight axle... 2 wheels were late 70s Yamaha fronts, and the rears were Honda I think... cause we had one already... the wreck was a front crash. The last of the Honda frame was removed about 2002 when we switched from the Kawasaki ZX-11 to the Suzuki Hayabusa for our H class motor.... the 11 was maxed out at 65 inches... the Busa went all the way to 90...
Started this quest in 1984 running against a low 130's record...  only have 2 records about a 100 MPH faster after all this time...  :roll:
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2018, 11:57:06 AM »

I think it is actually "engine turning". "Damascene" is hammering gold wire into engraved grooves in the base metal- an art highly developed in Japan.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
Stainless,
Only one word describes your front end setup: STOUT!!!! I think you have a great idea about using the top bolt for the shock rocker mount. This is the time that I get out the tape measure and tape some vellum on my drafting board, I just can't do this stuff without some sort of drawing to go by. I like SHCS also but our car was pretty much MS/AN hardware when we got it and Duke wanted to stay with them so lots of time on AircraftSpruce web site.

Sure interesting to see the progress of your car from its' original shape in 84. Continuous change and progress.

Looking good!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »

I think it is actually "engine turning". "Damascene" is hammering gold wire into engraved grooves in the base metal- an art highly developed in Japan.

Neil, I thought Jerry was metaphorically refering to mixing of metals... motorcycle and automobile  :|
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2018, 05:39:20 PM »
Ahh so!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »
Don't forget you can only drink that Starward with Johnboy and, I'm pretty sure frying is the accepted way to deal with brains, not boiling, crumb them first. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.