Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464127 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #225 on: March 27, 2018, 11:51:59 AM »
In Re:  Selfies while building the car/cage.

Who'd have thunk that you'd need to learn a reverse fire drill -- set the camera timer and see how quickly you can get INTO the car. :roll: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »
Do the hoop connector tubes meet the 1-5/8" rule?
  Sid.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2018, 03:28:05 PM »
Will your helmet go out side  of cage at any angle , openings look a little large ??  STEVE

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #228 on: March 29, 2018, 01:04:34 PM »
Do the hoop connector tubes meet the 1-5/8" rule?
  Sid.

Of course... the hoops and connectors are 1.625 x .120 DOM, the frame rails are 1.66 x .134 ERW, all of the bracing in these roll structures are a mix of those 2 sizes.  The floor support structures between the aforementioned  roll cage pieces are 1.5 x 1 x .120.

Will your helmet go out side  of cage at any angle , openings look a little large ??  STEVE

Not out the sides or back... even without the .090 plating that will be welded in before it is all over... it will fit out the front of course... otherwise you couldn't get in or out  :roll: 

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2018, 11:13:25 PM »
Roll cage is about the same as it was... have not welded in the hoop supports in case they get in the way... yep I will need to sooner or later.... right now opting for later. 
I have started thinking about the front and rear suspension and what I will do there.  The front I think I have decided on doing a 4 bar, with a watts link... I have some material ordered to make the  frame connectors, the stuff I ordered for the bars showed up so I started doing a little design in hand.  I found a little scrap to help out, so this is part of what I am thinking.  The suspension will be coil-over, still thinking about how that works but I'm aiming for standing the shocks in the front corners and using a rocker and link from the axle to them.
Here's my 4 link thoughts... and thinking pieces....  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: April 04, 2018, 11:24:27 AM »
Also working toward a rear suspension... to get back there I had to get the removable frame member in.  This will make engine installation and removal considerably easier since all of our engines are wider than the space between the insides of the frame.   :-o
Hoping to get metal tomorrow...  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #231 on: April 04, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »
Is there any way you can show us how you designed the ends of the removable piece Stainless. I'd like to see it apart so I understand how it fits together.  :? :? :?

Thanks.

Pete

Offline jdincau

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: April 04, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
PJ, I was going to make some until I found them from kartek for $36 each

https://www.kartek.com/parts/interlocking-weld-in-tube-clamp-connector-coupler-for-1-58-diameter-0120-wall-tubing.html

When it is all final welded I hope they work like I want them to.  I welded the ends on the center tube and the other ends are tacked in as seen in the pic. 
I also bought a steering wheel disconnect from them to replace the homemade one we have been using since 1984... the new one is a lot tighter
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: April 04, 2018, 09:22:01 PM »
I liked the ones Jim showed... didn't come in 1 5/8...
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #235 on: April 04, 2018, 10:14:05 PM »
I like what you got. I sure cant build them for that sort of money and they're probably more accurate than I'd build on manual equipment.

Thanks.

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: April 04, 2018, 11:58:57 PM »
PJ, Exactly the conclusion I came to... They fit perfectly in the 1 5/8 x .125 tube but were a loose in the 1.66 x .134 frame tubes... I used the 1 5/8 for the removable member and then added 3 weld dots to the part that sticks in the tube and hit them with the lathe to make the fit in the larger tube tight. 

Looks like my Metal might not be here till Friday... and possibly Monday.  Back to thinking about the front suspension and the shocks. 
After I finish the welding  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: April 08, 2018, 10:54:30 PM »
Welding in the back finished... tubes pulled down on the short open ends about 1/16... not unexpected but it means I till need to do a little heat tweaking back there at some point.  The removable bar got very tight... but I suspect the tube gussets/braces I add to stiffen that area up when the tube is out will tweak that area so we will see what we end up with.  My bet... when I'm done it will be fine.

Next thing, started thinking about the rear axle, checked to see if it was tweaked, so far it seems to be fine, although I have not put the dial indicator on it, it looks like it rolls straight.  However the brake disc has a kink in it... so we will need to make another one of those. 
No you can't really tell unless you put it on a flat surface...  :|
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2018, 11:25:23 PM »
Back to front suspension.  The 1 x 2 x .188 wall I ordered showed up so I started working on the parts the 4 bar rod ends attach to.  Got one finished, the other needs a little more work to get it in.  If we had not had company over for dinner and if I had not had several beers, I would have pictures of both of them in and connected to the axle....
but Ross (MC2032) brought over a couple of beers... Spiced Bock and Kansas Hi-Test Stout..... and then we decided we should have a Dragons Milk to compare to the Hi-Test.... so much for working on the car....
After Ross and Billy left I decided I should try Fordboy's Jack and Dr Pepper... but I didn't have any Jack so I substituted 16 year old Bushmills Irish Whiskey.... then I couldn't bring myself to mix that with anything so I showed it the DP can and you know what... Fordboy was right... it is really good...  :-o  :roll:
But I digress... here's where I think I'm headed  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:27:02 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #239 on: April 09, 2018, 01:29:18 AM »
Back to front suspension.  The 1 x 2 x .188 wall I ordered showed up so I started working on the parts the 4 bar rod ends attach to.  Got one finished, the other needs a little more work to get it in.  If we had not had company over for dinner and if I had not had several beers, I would have pictures of both of them in and connected to the axle....
but Ross (MC2032) brought over a couple of beers... Spiced Bock and Kansas Hi-Test Stout..... and then we decided we should have a Dragons Milk to compare to the Hi-Test.... so much for working on the car....
After Ross and Billy left I decided I should try Fordboy's Jack and Dr Pepper... but I didn't have any Jack so I substituted 16 year old Bushmills Irish Whiskey.... then I couldn't bring myself to mix that with anything so I showed it the DP can and you know what... Fordboy was right... it is really good...  :-o  :roll:
But I digress... here's where I think I'm headed  :cheers:

I "LOVE IT" when "a plan comes together"! ! !

Showed the "Jack" to the Dr. P bottle.    IT WAS BETTER than my original concoction! !

I think this is what they mean by "research and development" . . . . . .   :wink:
 :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein