Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464132 times)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2018, 11:43:54 PM »
Stainless
I'm on your side.
You do know that "y'all" is singular. You need to say all y'all for it to be plural. :-D :-D :-D

Ron

Stainless lived in Arkansas and LA long enough to know that. LA is Louisiana, as all y'all know :-D

Johnboy
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2018, 11:52:43 PM »
The reason the wording in 3.B.1. is in bold print is that many people have not realized that the roll cage (1-5/8) includes below & behind the driver & arrived ready to go but failed tech. I know of a few cars that were hauled off to SLC to have tubing welded in under the seat. Cars that have been running for some time might slide through unnoticed but it's unlikely on a new build without pre-approval.
I'm not about to tell anybody how to do it, just point out what SCTA expects you to do.
  Sid.

Offline Mr. Schimstock

« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
I like the cage/roll bar design but have a question on what the plan is for the required gussets between the hoops and the top rail.  Maybe I missed something in the rule book.  Since the front hoop a distance inside the top rail I'm not sure how a flat plate gusset would work.  A tube style could be fit but would likely drive a change in the body profile.
Sproing, crack, ouch!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »
Stainless
I'm on your side.
You do know that "y'all" is singular. You need to say all y'all for it to be plural. :-D :-D :-D

Ron

Stainless lived in Arkansas and LA long enough to know that. LA is Louisiana, as all y'all know :-D

Johnboy

Ya.. ya... ya... I lived in the FLA part of FL too.... All y'all that haven't lived in the panhandle may not realize that part of FL is often considered Friggin' Lower Alabama   :roll:

OK so proceeding with the cage building... Verticals welded it, diagonals fitted, and welded... still need to weld the hoop in... things are starting to get tight....
Gussets to the top rail.... The back hoop gets a full gusset to the top rail... it will also be know as the firewall... the front hoop gets a tube gusset to the top rail, it is not welded yet because the front hoop is not welded in yet... Luckily it can still be moved on the vertical to make room for welding around it.
Here's a couple of pics of the process
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »
A little added info for those headed down this path.... I cut one ear off of the diagonal to put it in and then chamfered the cut and re-welded it... the cut needed to be tangent to the bottom of both cuts... and still needed a tap with the soft hammer to move in place.  The squaring magnet held the ear in position to be tacked. 

Hoop welding will probably happen today, although we are doing some work on Ross's bike, making new clip on's to get him a better hand position.

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2018, 11:50:38 AM »
Welded all but about 3/4 inch of the hoop, going to the welding store this morning to see if they have a #3 long  nozzle to try to get into the tight area.... You know that corner that you paint yourself into... Couldn't see any other option... the little tube braces will also be a challenge.... at least for me...
Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2018, 11:35:20 AM »
Handy little buggers here...
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »
Welded all but about 3/4 inch of the hoop, going to the welding store this morning to see if they have a #3 long  nozzle to try to get into the tight area.... You know that corner that you paint yourself into... Couldn't see any other option... the little tube braces will also be a challenge.... at least for me...

Stainless, the guys who build headers, and I include myself in that group the odd time use a really large gas lens and nozzle so you can use an absolutely ridiculous stick out on the tungsten. Don't forget to turn up the argon a bit. You'll likely have to go to a real welding supply store to find those items but once you have them you'll find regular uses for them.

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »
Jerry, the parts are made... It is a little tight to finish welding them... thus the rub... The long 3 won't fit in the space between the tubes... so bad planning on my part... when I was mocking it up it looked like it was doable.
I will find a way  :cheers:

PJ, When you say large, do you have a pic of what you are trying to explain to me...  I'm not a pro but I am always willing to learn and try.... I have a Weldcraft 20 water cooled torch on an old Aircrafter 330 tig.
If your're not busy this week I'd be happy to have you drop by to demo....  :roll:  ya I know...  :cheers:

edit... hopefully the local Miller store is a good welding supply, they did have long #3 in stock.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:18:12 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
Handy little buggers here...

A stupid question... what are these things?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2018, 01:50:25 PM »
Jerry, the parts are made... It is a little tight to finish welding them... thus the rub... The long 3 won't fit in the space between the tubes... so bad planning on my part... when I was mocking it up it looked like it was doable.

PJ, When you say large, do you have a pic of what you are trying to explain to me...  I'm not a pro but I am always willing to learn and try.... I have a Weldcraft 20 water cooled torch on an old Aircrafter 330 tig.
If your're not busy this week I'd be happy to have you drop by to demo....  :roll:  ya I know...  :cheers:

edit... hopefully the local Miller store is a good welding supply, they did have long #3 in stock.

I'll go out to the shop a little later and get either pictures or part numbers.

Pete

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
 Kind of old school but wouldn't a stick welder solve the problem for just the hard to reach location?

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »

Pete

It looks like Miller discontinued the good stuff when they took over Weldcraft. I found a similar setup from aliexpress. It should do the trick. There are pictures in the ad. Good luck!
I'll go out to the shop a little later and get either pictures or part numbers.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pcs-Welding-Torch-Nozzle-Glass-Cup-Stubby-Collet-Gas-Lens-Insulator-Kit-Set-For-Tig-WP/32817381374.html?src=bing&albch=shopping&acnt=42005546&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=133757205&albag=5569327719&slnk=&trgt=pla-4585032208264301&plac=&crea=17152878670&netw=o&device=c&mtctp=e&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PA-Bing-Tools-CA&utm_content=All&utm_term=large%20gas%20lens%20and%20nozzle&msclkid=62b5b91cd1ea1be1cf92e366f095c225

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:52:51 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2018, 04:54:04 PM »
Ugly Ronnie!  :x :x :evil:

Pete

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »
The shipping looks stupidly long. I don't know if there's any way to get it speeded up. I know I've ordered stuff from China and had it in just over a week.

Unfortunately this is what happens when some large company takes over another and cuts out the specialty stuff in the name of efficiency.

I've always been a Miller and Weldcraft supporter but sometimes even the good guys can pi$$ a guy off.  :x :x :x

Pete