Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464133 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2018, 11:03:34 PM »
Try to get full 360 degree welds on each tube by sequencing your weld/install to accommodate it. It's not always possible to achieve, but try to get as much as you can. That is what they taught us in Airframe and Powerplant school back in the '80s.

Whizz, I got my A&P in the 90s, but didn't do the school thing.... thank God no one ever asked me to weld on their airplane.... :-o   
It was my first thought that the tubes should go in one at a time, and there may be a couple of spots that I won't or can't get each one welded 360, but I will try. 
Got the parts made so I can start welding maybe tomorrow... May have to make one more Jig brace to hold the structure in place during welding. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2018, 09:05:30 AM »
Nothing is impossible Bob...on a diagonal joint  between two verticle tubes you weld the vert. joints first and then cut ONE end of the dia. tube off on ONE side, about 1" or so...Slip the tube into place and weld the  cut-off part in last.  I have a pic somewhere amongst my cat pics. JB
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:16:11 AM by floydjer »
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2018, 09:10:56 AM »
A trick i just remembered, for dealing with the diagonals. Weld all of your vertical members in without the diagonals installed first to get full 360 on them. Now it seems that you won't be able to get the diagonal members into place. In order to make them go in, cut one side of the fish mouth off of one end of the diagonal member using as thin a kerf as possible. Now it will slide right in and you can weld the cut off piece back once the tube is in place.

another way we were shown to deal with the problem was to cut the diagonal in the middle and then put a splice over the cut once the parts were in, but that method adds a lot of unnecessary weight and should only be used if the first won't work, for instance if other structural members prevent access to the weld the cut piece.

Does that make any sense at all?  :cheers:

Edit: Dammit, I type too slow, you beat me.  :-D
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline floydjer

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »
Voila`
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »
Yea... if my welds looked like that I would have a new career....  :roll: Oh wait, I don't want a new career, I like being paid to not work.... maybe I should have spent my life on welfare  :| ...  not!
Thanks guys, I will probably use that method and put the removed ear on the inside... in my brain it makes that side the weakest, so there will be more than 5 inches of weld and the integral ear holding the tube from outside force..... if the driver exerts enough force to ..... well we won't even talk about that...
I have a lot of re-assembly to do to ensure all this works as advertised... Oh I almost forgot... need to make the structure that goes between the hoops.... then it is on to welding.....
sure seems to be the never ending.... lots to think about to think ahead, not to worry, I am coping  :-D  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
You are coping???...Little early for Friday Bob............... :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2018, 03:44:51 PM »
Yo Jerry... every day is Friday.... or is that Saturday... well always better than Monday....
Stainless

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2018, 07:53:23 PM »
You are coping???...Little early for Friday Bob............... :cheers:

Of course he's coping. How else would he get those tubes to fit together right?
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #173 on: January 31, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »
Stainless, something to be aware of is that your 1.5x1 rectangular tubing technically doesn't meet min spec for cage material.  At the Jan SCTA board meeting a rule revision (3.B.1 Roll Cage) was passed that says square or rectangular tubing may be used if both leg dimensions are at least 1.62" and .120 wall.  Your rect tubing has 96% the CSA of 1.625 OD .125 wall tubing so that does bode well but you'll be in for a fight working against a pretty black and white rule.  Just sayin'. I'd make sure that the decision makers know about this ahead of time (now) and not when you show up to run for the first time.  Everything else looks great and I'd hate to see you get dinged on a technicality.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #174 on: January 31, 2018, 11:07:26 AM »
For someone 'in build' working to the current rule book - how do I find out about pending changes - what do I need to be a member of and how often is that information disseminated to those members?

I seem to recall there is something about membership of something on the SCTA site but it is quite buried and I haven't seen it since (I may have recalled that totally wrong) - is that the right approach?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »
Stainless
 Probably should check with the powers that be. I don't build chassis (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once), but it looks to me that the rectangular bars are "seat and floor supports", not "roll cage". However YMMV.
 Hope you have a great time down under.

Ron

Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #176 on: January 31, 2018, 06:40:33 PM »
For someone 'in build' working to the current rule book - how do I find out about pending changes - what do I need to be a member of and how often is that information disseminated to those members?

I seem to recall there is something about membership of something on the SCTA site but it is quite buried and I haven't seen it since (I may have recalled that totally wrong) - is that the right approach?
John, as I said earlier, if you stick to rule 3.B.1. you will not need to get pre-approval.
To run El Mirage you need to be an SCTA club member, to run Bonneville you can be a BNI only member.
  Sid.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2018, 08:05:37 PM »

Well, aren't you and Syd part of the secret society?.... A call every now and then to Steve Davies might be a good idea, he'd be somewhere near the wellspring.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »
There is roll cage 1 5/8 x .120 or larger used in the construction on the roll cage... there are 4 cross tubes in the bottom of the cage, there will be some cross tubes in the upper... as soon as I figure out where they need to be.... The 1.5 x 1 x .125 tubing is used in the seat support and floor support structures.   The old Bockscar used 1 x 1 x .125 in the  floor and seat support structures.... and passed tech about 57 times over the 33 years we raced it.  If necessary I will provide the inspectors with a structural strength analysis.... but I don't think it will be necessary since all  of the cage is 1.625 or larger....
If it makes y'all feel better, think of them as gussets for the cage  :wink:
Since I have not received a reply back from Lee Kennedy, I will send one to Kiwi Steve....
Stainless

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2018, 10:52:51 PM »
Stainless
I'm on your side.
You do know that "y'all" is singular. You need to say all y'all for it to be plural. :-D :-D :-D

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.