Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464091 times)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2018, 05:53:53 PM »
Looks great Stainless. Still working a com error on the mill.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2018, 12:52:48 AM »
Prepped all the tubes for welding the seat back, tacked them in place, then threw the seat in to check everything will fit as desired.  I think it will work... see pics

Welded in now, hopefully I will get the seat belt attachment gussets made and in next
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
Made some gussets that will be the shoulder belt mounts, had to go to dinner and drinking with friends from Seattle that came into town yesterday, so no welding yet.  Probably none today either, they want to do a brewery crawl through Wichita...
but here's the plan in pictorial form.   

You may also notice that I am not a professional Tig weldor, it is not all pretty, but I don't expect it to fall apart.  :|
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2018, 02:14:44 PM »
The seat belt mounts are in... and I threw in a dzus receptacle to help hold the seat in place...   now it is time to get back to work on the front roll structure and the side structures.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2018, 11:06:29 AM »
It may seem like I haven't been doing anything for a couple of weeks but I really have been noodling, experimenting, building parts and confirming with structural advisers that what I want to do will work and be strong.  Pork Pie has been drawing, calculating and correcting me along the way.... guess he doesn't want me to kill him either.  :roll:  :wink:

We finally decided on a plan and started building those parts.  This is the start of that plan.... yes there is a lot of structure to be built.... I have started on the supporting side structures and will post pics of that when I get one side finished.

The helmet has plenty of room, but it may get up to another 1/2 inch (depending on my abilities to get parts made)

I missed getting this up Friday, but I have been coping with getting these tubes in...  :-D
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
I guess this picture is out of sequence, but I need to throw it in here... I did buy a HF tube notcher... I guess it will be going back, I have not used it yet... So far my other notcher has done all the parts that I have ended up using.... I did use the drill press on one of my experiment parts earlier in this thread.  Due to structural strength concerns, I scrapped that one.  

I have spent a lot of time trying to get as much of the cage out of the way as I could... the original car cage interfered with the driver and made entry and exit a chore for our more experience drivers.... (read older  :roll: )
 :cheers: y'all

Edit... yes that is one of the hole saws from the big sale advertised.... or rather advised... on this site last year
They work great
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 11:39:30 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2018, 02:32:54 PM »
Just read the whole thing in a couple of, er, "sittings". Tremendous work and I cant help but admire your determination.

Some age old questions came up for me, I wont go into them but they reaffirmed my thoughts on cage design.

Loving the story.

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2018, 05:26:37 PM »
Just read the whole thing in a couple of, er, "sittings". Tremendous work and I cant help but admire your determination.

Some age old questions came up for me, I wont go into them but they reaffirmed my thoughts on cage design.

Loving the story.

Yep... it takes a village... or a village idiot  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2018, 09:48:13 AM »
And as an added bonus...You get to tram the head back in on that mill!!  Fun,fun,fun  :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »
Would you mind confirming the size of the square box section (seat back supports) and the dimension from outside to outside of same (I am guessing 8" apart - the shoulder harness loops are held that far apart by those supports.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2018, 02:14:24 PM »
Stainless,
Great cage design and boy is it hell for strong, exactly what you were planning! Please add a tube diagonal from the lower rail to the intersection of the front roll bar and the top tube, then it would be "perfect"! I am sure you were planning such a tube anyhow. I would suggest that you make the diagonal intersect the top tube at the point where the you have the short horizontal tube that ties the front roll bar to the top rail and then make a saddle style gusset to connect everything to the vertical and upper tail tubes. Great progress and great to watch.

Per you posts on the Aussie thread I take it you are traveling to the salt meet in Aussie land, I am SO envious! We are all expecting lots of pictures and a great report. Have a great time!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
Would you mind confirming the size of the square box section (seat back supports) and the dimension from outside to outside of same (I am guessing 8" apart - the shoulder harness loops are held that far apart by those supports.

John, if you are planning to do something like that you will need to get prior approval from SCTA as that rectangular tubing doesn't meet the rule 3.B.1.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »
Alrighty... I had not planned to try to show the sides till I had more parts made, but now I have a question so I will show where I am headed.

First Lemming John, the seat back and floor are built with 1.5 x 1 x .125 square tube.  The seat belts are 7.75 apart.  The original Bockscar belts came together through the seat and pinched our necks... the first modification of that had about 2 inches of space between the belts... as they routed between the seat supports... still pinched the neck... These will come straight over the bar on the outsides of the seat back tubes at about the same width as my neck.

The cage... thanks Rex, strong is where I am trying to go.  Please see pics below... the diagonal is a measuring device, not the tube that will be used.  There will also be a diagonal from the front to the top that front bar where the front hoop attaches.  Too much trouble to put it all back together for the pictures, but everyone should get the idea of where I am going.  

The question... see second pic... when building all of this should I weld in that vertical, then weld in the diagonal. then weld the front vertical or should I assemble it all together and then weld the perimeters to the bottom rail.  I searched the crap out of the internet, looking for that answer, everyone shows finished product where tubes overlap at intersections, but have not found any process pics anywhere.  My first thought is one tube at a time and build forward so each tube has 360 degree welds.  Y'all feel free to chime in and give me a hand here.  

Forgot... Jerry, you need to tram after a big head tilt?  :roll:
Probably will just use the marks till I get all there angle copes finished and I need the level of precision that a well used old Bridgeport can do.... +/- .001ish
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
Try to get full 360 degree welds on each tube by sequencing your weld/install to accommodate it. It's not always possible to achieve, but try to get as much as you can. That is what they taught us in Airframe and Powerplant school back in the '80s.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2018, 06:23:49 PM »
Try to get full 360 degree welds on each tube by sequencing your weld/install to accommodate it. It's not always possible to achieve, but try to get as much as you can. That is what they taught us in Airframe and Powerplant school back in the '80s.
I totally agree on that one, a point that is missed by many.
  Sid.