Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464143 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2017, 09:51:13 PM »
Just for fun, I put the new hoop next to the old hoop so I could see how much more helmet room we have.... I looks like we will be able to move our heads.... going from 6 inch CL radius to 7.5 and planning to be about a 1/2 inch taller.  We will see what we get.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
I am trying to figure out how I'm going to cope the bottom of the hoop legs to fit the bottom rail.  So far all of my cuts have been with the mill but I can't find a way to hold the hoop to cope the legs, they are too short to clear the mill table support.  I guess I will drop by Max's or Turk's place and borrow a drill press tomorrow.
I did get the top rail coped for the hoop.  As soon as I cope the legs, I can do a little more welding on the frame and get the seat back welded.
Stainless

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »
Just for fun, I put the new hoop next to the old hoop so I could see how much more helmet room we have.... I looks like we will be able to move our heads.... going from 6 inch CL radius to 7.5 and planning to be about a 1/2 inch taller.  We will see what we get.
Just don't get a big head over your results!  :-o :-D :-o :-D :cheers: :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
I don't supose Stainless stopped to think of it, but a smaller head would give less frontal area and better AERO, and everyody like a little head.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »
While a little head is always good, as we all know.... it is the size of the head receptacle that we all have a problem with.... especially when working in tight spaces....

How that for an answer Ron.... enough innuendo or should I try harder  :-D  :cheers:   
Stainless

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2017, 05:53:40 PM »
I was waiting for you to call out the poster a couple back -- a guy named "Woody".   I mean, c'mon, too easy? :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2017, 12:47:15 AM »
Back to building... didn't have to go anywhere to use a drill press, turns out Ross (MC2032) had one sitting around, yep that's it in the background.  Rear hoop is coped at the bottom and tacked in place... Was planning to make 1/2 inch more headroom to the top.... turned out to be 5/8... close enough for me. 
The seat back supports are also tacked in...  although I have a little checking to do before final welding.  I will pop the seat in and do a little seat belt checking.  Right now it looks like I will put the belts outside the supports, that was one of the problems with the original, the belts were really tight on your neck.  Outside puts 8 inches between the belts.  So I need to make some belt structure and figure out an attachment spot.
Stainless

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2017, 08:54:11 AM »
SS1 are you guys going to a 9 point system? If so that makes your attachment points simpler in some ways.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
another use for a rotary table
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
Sparky, We had a 7 point for years before it was mandated for lay down cars.  Not sure where you would put 2 more points... what are the other 2?  I tried google, saw reference to 9 points, but no illustrations or examples.  The belts are running out of room with all the devices.....
Jerry, only 2 copes so far have been done on anything other than the mill.  I did figure out how to do those 2 on the mill, but using the drill press was a lot quicker. I think all the others will also be milled, I like the rotary table clamp idea for the angle cuts. 
I picked up a HF tube notcher... I guess we will see it I use it or if it goes back  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2017, 01:29:17 PM »
Stainless;

I used a HF tube notcher to build my roll cage. It worked just fine but it needed to be shimmed a bit to get the axes aligned properly. The key to success is to use a good quality hole saw and a slow speed drill. I found the hole saws from Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc are good while the HF ones are trash. A good cutting oil is, of course, a necessary thing. Getting a drill with a slow enough speed is necessary, too. A 1/2" variable-speed drill will work; I have a two-speed 1/2" pneumatic drill that worked very well. I used a speed of about 200 rpm to cut the tubes.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
I built a notcher using hole saws .Have to get speed of cutter show enough. I used a drill press smallest pulley i could find for motor an largest I could get inside guard on spindle. Bi metalic are the cutters I had the best results with. Finner teeth wotk better. Never tried cutters with abrasive edge but they might work,at least you wouldn't catch a tooth and break it off the cutter.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2017, 04:12:19 PM »
A HF notcher will last a whole build if you grease the $hit out of it & run it slow. Before I had the mill I built a jig using a hole hog drill to drive it. Nice & slow with lotsa power. I still use it for quick jobs.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2017, 12:42:21 AM »
working a rethink on the seat bracing after talking to Sparky... maybe run a tube behind the seat... and use that tube to attach shoulder belts. 
Ross came over and we did a little looking with John Goodman's helmet.  The shoulder straps hang through the slots in the seat when you are in position.  Yes, we may need to build another seat before it is all over, but placement of belts will be in the same places as the original. 
Stainless

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2017, 04:16:28 AM »
Sleep is really overrated. :-P
  Sid.