Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 465804 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #885 on: August 27, 2020, 09:35:50 AM »
Just make sure the slower of the two runs their backup pass first.  Then, you both will get records.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #886 on: August 27, 2020, 10:23:02 AM »
Well John we could run on the same record... but I figured you would run on mine and I would run on yours... if we each still have those records rented at the time we go racing.  I figured as soon as we put yours in impound you could help me with mine.... then we both could help Lemming John get his in impound...
It will be fun  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #887 on: August 27, 2020, 11:18:41 AM »
But it's even more fun when you get it published in the Rule Book for a few years.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #888 on: August 27, 2020, 11:24:24 AM »
I figured as soon as we put yours in impound you could help me with mine.... then we both could help Lemming John get his in impound...
It will be fun  :cheers:

OK, I like your idea better. Let?s do it. Lemming?

John

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #889 on: August 27, 2020, 11:33:44 AM »
SW 2021 Lemming John will do everything he can to get Squeeze of Lemming there; after that licensing runs at best I suspect.

I would love to think I could tickle your new in 2021 G/GL record but you will need to lend me a fast car and some testicular fortitude  :laugh:
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #890 on: August 28, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
LJ, We try to never get the cart on the wrong end of the horse.... While we all "plan" to go out and set a record it does not always happen.  I have never counted any record before it is run... doing that generally leads to disappointment.  When asked how fast it well go, I usually reply how fast it needs to go.... So you may be running on what is in the book right now... one never knows.... but I can tell ya we will help if you need help... I want you or John G to take my record... so I can try to take it back... There are others also chasing G/GL & G/FL... having a shootout next year will be lots of fun.

I feel very blessed that the new Bockscar ran and drove as well as it did at SpeedWeek. 
There is a list of folks from this site that helped with that... You would have to read 50 pages to find them all...
Bill "Sparky" Smith gave me a build table
Thomas "Pork Pie" Graf did some design and drawing plus kibitzing the structural design to keep it strong
John "ggl205" Goodman contributed multiple parts and labor
Ross "mc2032" Powers contributed multiple parts and labor.... plus he is an idea man...  :wink:
John "speed limit 1000" Gowetski contributed parts and labor
Who did I forget... lots of folks but these are the guys that helped get us there.
Ideas and comment from other members helped guide me through this adventure... everyone that helped and commented actually owns a share of this years SpeedWeek success...
Thanks to all  :clap  :clap  :clap  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #891 on: September 03, 2020, 11:28:34 PM »
I am working on a couple of things for WF... we had some issues with our master cylinder for the clutch.... so I swapped in the brake master.... well it had issues too.  The manufacturer, CNC (Neal), closed up shop in 2019 and spare parts are a bit scarce.  So rather than pay too much for a rebuild kit, I added a couple of bucks and bought new Wilwood compact masters.  They fit the same space and brackets.  Had to change brake hoses to ones with a 90 on one end.  Have the clutch one done, waiting on the brake master to hit town.
I mentioned the suspension was a bit stiff... changed to lighter rate springs... all set, just need to put it on the ground to check.
Also worked a little on the balance... car was 58% rear so I added 95 lbs to the nose... 2 12" x 14" x 1" steel plates I had laying around... bolted to the battery and nose support structure.  That will get me closer and I have a pic  :-o
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #892 on: September 06, 2020, 01:11:02 AM »
Played with the springs a little more today, pulled the 200 lb out of the front, they seemed to be too stiff, and put in the 185's... Those allowed the front to move with weight change... good thing, that was the 4th set in there and I didn't have any lighter.
Changed the spring on the waste gate.... it was a real pain to try to get it back together, so I made a tool.... added a fork to a C clamp... that was a lot easier.
Then Ross and Johnboy showed up... so we started getting it ready to dyno...
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #893 on: September 06, 2020, 02:28:14 AM »
Would you mind sharing the leverage on the springs? Does the rocker act 1:1 or is it say 1 inch of axle travel equals 1.5 inch on the spring / shock unit: given you are closer to 50:50 weight distribution (you just happened to have some 1? thick steel plate ?lying? around  :laugh:) it would help me narrow down my spring start position and reduce the size if the future spring collection.  :cheers: John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #894 on: September 07, 2020, 12:07:57 AM »
LJ my levers are 5" on the shock side and 3 on the axle side... so I think that is a 1.67:1.  As soon as I get new corner weights I'll post them.... BTW the slabs were ballast on the old liner... so they were just laying around. 

The waste gate tool... and how I use it... the sharper eyes will notice a modification between the pics. If you ever tried to change springs on an accessible one you know it is a pain, put a few things in the way.... and... aktion086

Ran the car on the dyno a little today, found a couple of things I need to check into a little deeper... play some more tomorrow.
 :cheers:
Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #895 on: September 07, 2020, 08:34:16 AM »
Ummm.....You notched out a radius near it's foot?? cromag
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #896 on: September 07, 2020, 08:45:14 AM »
     From a confessed toolaholic,  great job!   :cheers:

Ya, Clarence's issues always seem to sneak into fabrication projects sooner or later......  :-D

Ed

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #897 on: September 13, 2020, 01:31:40 PM »
There is no end to his cunning...

I hope you performed an exorcism on that ballast.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #898 on: September 13, 2020, 06:10:52 PM »
Clarence's last name is Murphy!  :-P
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #899 on: September 13, 2020, 08:16:21 PM »
Murphy was an optimist. Woody.....
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.