(Note: LANDRACING.COM donations are not tax deductible)

This is a public forum. The opinions expressed here don't
necessarily reflect the feelings of The Folks That Run The Site (that's us)
unless we explicitly say so, ok?

Author Topic: Mid- Engine Modified Sports  (Read 434570 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Mid- Engine Modified Sports
« Reply #1755 on: November 20, 2019, 01:59:11 PM »
Thanks, Rex. I'll look into that. I was planning on lubing the linear bearings with Red Line synthetic grease. There is a 1/4-28 threaded hole in the side of the housing for a grease fitting (I think) that has a rubber plug in it now.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1756 on: November 21, 2019, 04:31:22 PM »
Regarding that second paragraph in my earlier post - here is a photo of the mild steel shift rod. The small ball bearings have indented the surface of the shaft, making the shifting rough, especially going laterally through the neutral gate. The ground & polished shaft with a surface hardness of 60 Rockwell C should cure this problem.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1757 on: November 21, 2019, 06:12:35 PM »
Sure makes it a good anti rotation shaft! Not what you are looking for. The Thompson hardened shafting is the only way. As I remember the core of the shaft is usually not hardened, not real soft but you can drill and tap.

Regarding my suggestion about the Gibbs Oil, I have a collection of very old machinist measuring tools, dividers, compass's , inside and out side dividers etc. When I got them they were pretty corroded and hard or impossible to adjust. I cleaned them up real good and them soaked them in Gibbs oil for about a week. They have been hanging above my lathe for 5 years through summer heat, winter cold and rain and no rust. Good stuff.

Rex   
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #1758 on: November 21, 2019, 08:36:06 PM »
The Gibbs oil is also a good lube for places where lesser oils drip or fling off such as the jaws in a lathe chuck.  As a sidenote, i had to stop using it to lube the lathe ways.  The metal chips stuck to the oil coating and were hard to remove.  It is a good lube.