Author Topic: Fuel line and electric fuel pump routing  (Read 3889 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Fuel line and electric fuel pump routing
« on: September 30, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
I have a rear engine lakester with a fuel tank ahead of the foot box bulkhead. Rules state that all fuel lines must be separate from the driver compartment as they pass from tank to rear bulkhead and isolated once past this bulkhead. I had the opportunity to more completely understand the intent of this rule when going through tech inspection at this years WoS. First, let me say that how tech interpreted the words "separate" and "isolate" are well founded. Our safety is their upmost concern and I am extremely grateful for this dedication.  However, rulebook wording in this instance, is a bit too ambiguous. If I want to separate two things, I can put distance between them. If I isolate these same two things, I must cover one so contact cannot be made with the other. So, the problem exists that simple separation of fuel lines and electric fuel pumps from the driver compartment is not the intention of tech but isolate is. When you think about it, we should be isolating the driver from all fuel lines including the tank. I hope those in charge of rule making consider changing the word "separate" to "isolate" to also include the fuel tank, so as not to confuse another racer, especially one new to LSR.

John

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
Re: Fuel line and electric fuel pump routing
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »
2017 Rulebook section 3.I states that "All components of the fuel system shall be isolated from the driver's compartment...", and also that "All fuel tanks shall be isolated from the driver's compartent...". 

However, I don't see the word "separate" anywhere in that section.   In what section is "separate" used in reference to fuel system components and the driver's compartment?

Jeff
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:49:21 AM »
2017 Rulebook section 3.I states that "All components of the fuel system shall be isolated from the driver's compartment...", and also that "All fuel tanks shall be isolated from the driver's compartent...". 

However, I don't see the word "separate" anywhere in that section.   In what section is "separate" used in reference to fuel system components and the driver's compartment?

Jeff

Jeff, you are 100% correct. As close as I studied the 2017 rule book, it is a mystery how I missed such a clearly written rule. I stand corrected and my apologies go out to all tech inspectors who I wrongfully engaged in this argument.

John

Offline salt27

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:38:56 AM »
Jeff, you are 100% correct. As close as I studied the 2017 rule book, it is a mystery how I missed such a clearly written rule. I stand corrected and my apologies go out to all tech inspectors who I wrongfully engaged in this argument.

John

Integrity   :cheers: